Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Instagram Meets Kafka: Let's Play "Spot the Profanity"!

Every Monday, I do a one-minute video on Instagram for Full Compass called "Craig Anderton's Monday Mix." But when they posted this video, Instagram sent a warning: "This ad isn't running because it uses profanity, implied profanity, or insulting language."

First of all, it's not an ad, it's not selling anything (harrumph). We're still trying to figure out what could possibly be considered profane or insulting language. Maybe "pink noise" or "technical reason why this is valid"? Or showing naked pictures of a DAW's console view?

The Gods of Instagram are willing to give it a manual review. Okay. But having an algorithm accuse me of something, and then having to appear in front of a virtual tribunal run by the Keepers of the Holy Algorithm, seems pretty Kafkaesque to me.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect."

I used the word "attached" in an email just now, to describe a situation with a gate at our condo.

When I clicked Send, gmail told me that I had forgotten to include an attachment.

Until AI becomes much smarter, it will always be Artificial Idiocy.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

It would be interesting to find out what indeed flagged you. I've had content taken down on many platforms for the most innocuous or tangential technicalities, but in retrospect, it made perfect sense from an algorithmic perspective.

"For instance" is not proof.

My guess? The word "pink". I am serious.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

"Pink?" That's profanity and/or insulting? Well take THIS, Instagram!

Blue

Red

Orange

Yellow

Mauve

Chartreuse

Heliotrope

Green

Magenta

Can you handle it, Instagram?

Oh, you want more? Sure thing, punk...

Brown

Black

Purple

Khaki

Beige

Ivory

Tan

Go ahead, make my day...

Aquamarine!!!!!!!

• 10 months later...
Instagram often has bugs like these. I often wrote to the administration and almost never received a response.. I hope there is a solution to your problem. I think that the only thing why I like Instagram, u can easily become famous. Like my friend, and on his birthday I wanted to surprise him and I bought real Instagram followers here. He was so happy when he noticed that his blog became more and more popular! Now a lot of people are interested in my friend's content and I am so proud of him. I can send his profile here, it is so good! I am a professional photographer and usually, I help him to take great photos for account.

They also banned a video recently because it had a scene from a film noire-type movie with a humorous caption, and a guy had a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. Instagram said I was encouraging smoking. Apparently "instagram" is from the Latin, and translates roughly as "without humor."