Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

3 Most Underrated of All Time?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heaven only knows I should NOT be jumping into this-it's Halloween party weekend in these parts, I have a ton of stuff to do.

But I can't resist-no time to post videos, sorry.

#1 John Tropea. Check out his work on Deodato's epic 'Also Sprach Zarathustra'.

#2 James Vincent-in fact, screw it-I'm posting a video. Keep in mind how long ago this was:

#3 Johnny Marr-longtime critical favorite but, way under the public radar. The closest he came to

commercial success was with the band Suede.

+1 Jan Akkerman

+1 on John Tropea - also one of my favorite albums

I wind up arguing with myself, trying to pick three, but I'm going to start out repeating myself by putting forward an unlikely choice - Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders. Sure, she gets credit as a songwriter and bandleader - hell, she IS the band, everyone else died, or came and went, and maybe re-joined - but I'd say 40+ years of rock-steady Rhythm Guitar deserves more notice than she's really gotten as a Musician.

Carlos Alomar - A lot of the truly weird and original sounds you hear on Bowie's albums came from the guy standing beside Adrian Belew, or Reeves Gabrels, or whoever seemed to be at the center of things at the time.

Ollie Halsall - For anyone looking at that name and scratching your head, that's why I put him here. You probably heard him with The Rutles, and didn't know it. Listen to the solo in "Didn't Feel Lonely 'Til I Thought Of You," and just nod in appreciation.

[video:youtube]

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I wind up arguing with myself, trying to pick three, but I'm going to start out repeating myself by putting forward an unlikely choice - Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders. Sure, she gets credit as a songwriter and bandleader - hell, she IS the band, everyone else died, or came and went, and maybe re-joined - but I'd say 40+ years of rock-steady Rhythm Guitar deserves more notice than she's really gotten as a Musician.

Carlos Alomar - A lot of the truly weird and original sounds you hear on Bowie's albums came from the guy standing beside Adrian Belew, or Reeves Gabrels, or whoever seemed to be at the center of things at the time.

Ollie Halsall - For anyone looking at that name and scratching your head, that's why I put him here. You probably heard him with The Rutles, and didn't know it. Listen to the solo in "Didn't Feel Lonely 'Til I Thought Of You," and just nod in appreciation.

/quote]

Never heard of Ollie Halsali or Kevin Ayers but it makes you wonder why not? That solo he does has gotten me curious because there is slide work right along with it. To hold the slide while doing regular finger solos is very tricky, trust me,,...:)

• 2 weeks later...
For me-

1. Jeff Healey

2. Steve Morris

Morse ?

3. Pat Travers

Sorry, Steve Morse.

I've seem Steve Morse 3 times. He won Best Overall Guitarist 5 times in Guitar Player magazine's annual poll. Hardly under-rated, nor should he be! Great choice though, insanely good guitarist.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.