Music Player Network

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: 3 Most Underrated of All Time? [Re: d / halfnote] #3014111 10/29/19 03:13 PM
D
Delta Offline
D
Originally Posted by d / halfnote
Originally Posted by Delta
For me-

1. Jeff Healey
2. Steve Morris
Morse ?
3. Pat Travers

Sorry, Steve Morse.

"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix
GP Island
Re: 3 Most Underrated of All Time? [Re: skipclone 1] #3014117 10/29/19 03:55 PM
Larryz Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Originally Posted by skipclone 1
Ya, love this performance.

thu

Take care, Larryz
Re: 3 Most Underrated of All Time? [Re: skipclone 1] #3014277 10/30/19 06:38 PM
skypuppy123 Offline
Originally Posted by skipclone 1
Heaven only knows I should NOT be jumping into this-it's Halloween party weekend in these parts, I have a ton of stuff to do.
But I can't resist-no time to post videos, sorry.

#1 John Tropea. Check out his work on Deodato's epic 'Also Sprach Zarathustra'.

#2 James Vincent-in fact, screw it-I'm posting a video. Keep in mind how long ago this was:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCMNvsi6xMk

#3 Johnny Marr-longtime critical favorite but, way under the public radar. The closest he came to
commercial success was with the band Suede.

+1 Jan Akkerman

+1 on John Tropea - also one of my favorite albums

Re: 3 Most Underrated of All Time? [Re: Music With Marky] #3014303 10/30/19 09:34 PM
W
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
W
I wind up arguing with myself, trying to pick three, but I'm going to start out repeating myself by putting forward an unlikely choice - Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders. Sure, she gets credit as a songwriter and bandleader - hell, she IS the band, everyone else died, or came and went, and maybe re-joined - but I'd say 40+ years of rock-steady Rhythm Guitar deserves more notice than she's really gotten as a Musician.

Carlos Alomar - A lot of the truly weird and original sounds you hear on Bowie's albums came from the guy standing beside Adrian Belew, or Reeves Gabrels, or whoever seemed to be at the center of things at the time.

Ollie Halsall - For anyone looking at that name and scratching your head, that's why I put him here. You probably heard him with The Rutles, and didn't know it. Listen to the solo in "Didn't Feel Lonely 'Til I Thought Of You," and just nod in appreciation.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com
Re: 3 Most Underrated of All Time? [Re: Winston Psmith] #3014309 10/30/19 10:20 PM
skypuppy123 Offline
[quote=Winston Psmith]I wind up arguing with myself, trying to pick three, but I'm going to start out repeating myself by putting forward an unlikely choice - Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders. Sure, she gets credit as a songwriter and bandleader - hell, she IS the band, everyone else died, or came and went, and maybe re-joined - but I'd say 40+ years of rock-steady Rhythm Guitar deserves more notice than she's really gotten as a Musician.

Carlos Alomar - A lot of the truly weird and original sounds you hear on Bowie's albums came from the guy standing beside Adrian Belew, or Reeves Gabrels, or whoever seemed to be at the center of things at the time.

Ollie Halsall - For anyone looking at that name and scratching your head, that's why I put him here. You probably heard him with The Rutles, and didn't know it. Listen to the solo in "Didn't Feel Lonely 'Til I Thought Of You," and just nod in appreciation.

/quote]

Never heard of Ollie Halsali or Kevin Ayers but it makes you wonder why not? That solo he does has gotten me curious because there is slide work right along with it. To hold the slide while doing regular finger solos is very tricky, trust me,,...:)

Last edited by skypuppy123; 10/30/19 10:21 PM.
Re: 3 Most Underrated of All Time? [Re: Music With Marky] #3015282 11/08/19 04:38 AM
Sharkman Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
Frank Marino of Mahogany Rush.

I rock; therefore, I am.
Re: 3 Most Underrated of All Time? [Re: Delta] #3015287 11/08/19 06:09 AM
KuruPrionz Online Content
Online Content
Originally Posted by d / halfnote
For me-

1. Jeff Healey
2. Steve Morris
Morse ?
3. Pat Travers

Sorry, Steve Morse.

I've seem Steve Morse 3 times. He won Best Overall Guitarist 5 times in Guitar Player magazine's annual poll. Hardly under-rated, nor should he be! Great choice though, insanely good guitarist.

There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Re: 3 Most Underrated of All Time? [Re: Sharkman] #3015350 11/08/19 09:10 PM
D
Delta Offline
D
Originally Posted by Sharkman
Frank Marino of Mahogany Rush.

Agree.

"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3