Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Power Supply for Mojo61

The external power supply for my Mojo61 has crapped out. I"m having a lot of difficulty finding a replacement. Some sites have it listed (typically $30, cheap), but out of stock. I"d like to get it shipped here in the next few days.

I"m a little concerned as I had planned to do an internal install. But if this part is subject to failure, maybe I shouldn"t?

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't answer your question Eric as it's a matter of personal preference and I have no personal expertise on the Mojo but as a general tip - I always carry a spare PSU for any of my 'boards that have an external one. So might be worth ordering two when you find the part and pull the trigger?

Agreed. Although I found a local guy who figured out an internal install for me. Once that happens, it will be more difficult to repair if it goes bad. However, I suspect it's less likely to go bad if it's internally installed. This seems like a power issue rather than a physical one, though. The supply has a light on it that shows when it's receiving power (and stays on for about a minute even when it's unplugged... weird!). I first had problems with it last weekend but finally got it to work once I unplugged it and plugged it in to a number of different outlets. I tried it at home yesterday and it turned on immediately. Then I went to gig and couldn't get it to turn on AT ALL, and had to play Mojo-less last night.

I'll probably order 2 once I find one, even though I'm doing the install, it probably wouldn't be THAT hard for my guy to swap it out if it ever goes south.

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

it's just draining the charge

Yeah, I figured it was normal operation, it's just a bit unexpected. And it has proven to be slightly problematic too, because it becomes difficult to troubleshoot for intermittent connectivity issues (if it receives power for only a second, it stays on for a while). Obviously it's capacitors slowly draining.

But back to the task at hand... who do I contact to order a replacement? Crumar.it is somewhat slow to respond, and like to work through american suppliers/service centers. I purchased the Mojo through Kraft Music. I've dropped them an email and will call them tomorrow morning. Though they don't officially list the power supply in their catalog, I would be surprised if they didn't have one, at least that they could steal from a kit (since they build their own kits). Or maybe they could help me track one down. In any case, I need something FAST. I have a pretty important rehearsal Thursday where we are auditioning a number of perspective members, and I'd like my mind clear from technical issues.

I carry a duplicate also. I'm going to install one of them inside when I get around to it. Leave the old ps input jack in place and that way if the internal supply isn't working, you can still plug in an external one.

That sounds like a great idea. I'll ask him if he plans to wire it in a way that would allow that. Unfortunately, the power jack is already getting weak from use. I never let the power supply hang and pull on it, but it's fallen once or twice, and at standing height the cable isn't long enough for the brick to lie on the floor. He'd likely be able to quickly tune up the jack though.

The sad reality is, though it has an amazing keybed, very solid controls and great sounds, under the hood, both me and my tech realized that the overall structural build of the Mojo61 isn't all that fantastic. They cut a LOT of design corners to save on parts. Many of the internals are cobbled together from 3rd-party components in structurally precarious ways, even though each part he identified as quite high-end gear. The circuit boards have no support under them, and are fastened on ONLY through the jacks themselves, which is a very poor design. The result is that there is a lot of stress on the jack solder, and is prone to wear. The USB/WiFi unit is a modded Raspberry Pi, also very loosely held in place. Most other boards have vertical screws that hold the circuit-boards in place, but the screws on the Mojo only attach frame and the keybed. It's a shame because it's otherwise a very road-worthy board. He had some suggestions for alterations that would add a lot of solidity, and I think I'll take him up on that.

My tech guy was able to repair it. Cold solder. Still, I'm going to order a new one. And yes, his plan for doing the internal install will allow for an external to be used (he even suggested it before I brought it up today). Thanks everyone!

Good to know the newer ones are going internal, external power supplies are such a pain.

Frick! I glued it up, plugged it in, and it's not working again. I feel so helpless about this! No US supplier that I contact seems to be able to get it in. My tech has offered to look at it again, but this intermittency is just bad news. Mojo has a HUGE power draw, so I doubt I'll be able to find any other power supply that would suffice.

Kraft Music has gone radio silent since I emailed them back about putting in an order, who knows if they've followed through. It's JUST out of warranty, or i would send the whole thing back and have them send me a new one fixed.

Update: was able to contact Crumar directly, and I've got two on order which should get here next week! I figured it would be a lost cause ordering from Italy to Hawaii (where I am), but it seems they've got it down.

OMG! That's it (the 9V). Unfortunately, they mark the part as requiring special handling and can't ship to Hawaii anyway (stupid). So it's a good thing I ordered from Crumar.

But yeah, it's the exact make and model (3.11A) that Crumar supplies. I figured it was a 3rd-party product and out there somewhere. Someday I'm move to a state (not Alaska or Hawaii) that has normal shipping.

Andrea excells in customer service, IMO.
Who's Andrea? I never got a name from Crumar.

Sorry, I can't remember if it's 9v or 12v but I've used these as backups. Both in stock at Amazon

Mean Well 9v Desktop Supply

Mean Well 12v Desktop Supply

Good links, thanks!

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."