Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Roland Fantom

gino

Tiago Mallen has just uploaded a demo of the Fantom! In Portuguese for the speaking portion, but playing starts at 8:30.

[video:youtube]

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I lucked out at a local GC. They had MODX 88 and a Fantom 88 next to each other.

I still like MODX for sure. It was inspiring in many ways.

for my music production, Fantom screams tomorrow and IMO sound programming is a higher level.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I think some song writers on keys are switching from their DAW back to hardware.

I am biased with my Kronos SEQ. whenever there's a hitch in my process , I find a solution.

I started to crack a new song on Fantom. Plan to study the recording process in depth to get

up to speed, determine if any issues, etc.

I am keeping my Kronos. And I am still waiting for Jan NAMM

[70's Songwriter]

I lucked out at a local GC. They had MODX 88 and a Fantom 88 next to each other.

for my music production, Fantom screams tomorrow and IMO sound programming is a higher level.

Hey Greg, are the keys on the MODX8 similar to the older MOXF8? I can't find a place to try the MODX8. I am thinking about moving from my MODX6 to the MODX8. I know the description says they're both the GHS... just wondering if there's any difference in feel in the newer (MODX8) board.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Hey Greg, are the keys on the MODX8 similar to the older MOXF8? I can't find a place to try the MODX8. I am thinking about moving from my MODX6 to the MODX8. I know the description says they're both the GHS... just wondering if there's any difference in feel in the newer (MODX8) board.

Hi, I can't say , as I did not own the MOX, 88 key.

I ran thru my scales and ARPS, left/right hand on the MODX 8. It felt pretty good.

I noticed a strange momentary decay at the end of a note value , sort of like a reverse after touch, while playing MODX 8 pianos.

It may be no big deal, and it might be due to demo condition. You know how keyboards get abused at GC.

If I were you, I would give the MODX 8 a solid demo. See if you local GC's will break open a factory MODX 8 box for you.

In my area, they are very accommodating , want to make a sale, etc etc.

If it wasn't for the new Fantom, MODX 8 would be a no brainer.

[70's Songwriter]

Have you looked at the Kurzweil PC4? Tough competition for the MODX8, I think. Fantom is beyond my gig-weight limit, besides being in a different price range. But I do think it has the best control surface of the three.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Have you looked at the Kurzweil PC4? Tough competition for the MODX8, I think. Fantom is beyond my gig-weight limit, besides being in a different price range. But I do think it has the best control surface of the three.

we are cross posting on the Korg forum. The PC4 is on my radar.

Heck, if its great for my studio work , and if the LCD allows good navigation, at $2k, I will jump on it.

I don't care about an extra 5 pounds or a few inches more here and there. I don't gig.

No limit on those ' logistics '.

Thanks !

[70's Songwriter]

Yes, never thought I"d say this but I"m looking forward to making tracks on the Fantom rather than in Cubase. I"ve concluded that my grooviest tracks were all started outside of the DAW. Something about Cubase just ain"t swinging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRaM3kWpw4w&feature=youtu.be

suggest you check this out ! I am a ' section ' song writer, using Mr Corrells terminology

[70's Songwriter]

AFAICT, when the boards are powered off they feel the same. But the velocity response of the new piano and rhodes samples on the MODX is better.

AFAICT, when the boards are powered off they feel the same. But the velocity response of the new piano and rhodes samples on the MODX is better.

Thanks guys. I had an MOXF8 for a little while, and really didn't like the keys....hence my move to the PX5S.

The Fantom 6 is still heavily on my radar for many reasons. I may just go with that, with the PX5S underneath. Too many choices now that I've saved my pennies from gigs this year.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

• 2 weeks later...
Just thought I'd give an update. Received bnib Fantom 8 about 9 days ago. Wouldn't always boot up properly. It is now bricked, won't boot up, white 'Roland' screen of death. Has been buggy since the start even after 1.1 upgrade. I have to send it back today. :-( I wouldn't recommend buying one at this point.

it hard to say if that defect is common or a modest %.

Nevertheless , I am waiting for January NAMM. Even with the attractive Black Friday incentives

[70's Songwriter]

Just thought I'd give an update. Received bnib Fantom 8 about 9 days ago. Wouldn't always boot up properly. It is now bricked, won't boot up, white 'Roland' screen of death. Has been buggy since the start even after 1.1 upgrade. I have to send it back today. :-( I wouldn't recommend buying one at this point.

Sounds like a random issue; sometimes happens with electronic devices, especially new-to-market items. You might want to return it for a replacement, vs scrapping the idea altogether. In 2015 my Kurz Forte 7 did similar things at first. Though updates did help the unit, my dealer would have gladly replaced the instrument if necessary. Lots of good things happening with the Fantom, and much more to come..

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Thanks. Yeah I think I"ll get my $$ back for now and see if I"ll want one in 2020.

Despite knowing it is incomplete sound/feature-wise, I also found it very buggy/crashy when it was working. Judging by some posts on other boards, seems like my issue is not isolated.

My first thought is 'Shame on you Roland", although really it"s my own fault. The warning signs were there.

Nice keyboard/concept, but too early to the market IMO.

I quenched my fantom gas by pre-ordering a osmose.....

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

I am a lifelong Roland fan. From my Jupiters/Junos/JX's, to my D50, U20/XP10/XP50 then the RD700NX. This Fantom looks great, but, and I might be being unfair here, this synth sounds so, well....ordinary. But I'm guessing the price tag isn't ordinary, right?

Tell me why I'm wrong...

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

I am a lifelong Roland fan. From my Jupiters/Junos/JX's, to my D50, U20/XP10/XP50 then the RD700NX. This Fantom looks great, but, and I might be being unfair here, this synth sounds so, well....ordinary. But I'm guessing the price tag isn't ordinary, right?

Tell me why I'm wrong...

That is the reason I haven't purchased the Fantom hoping for updates sounds!

Here's a look at the Roland Fantom from a Pianist Perspective:

Link:

Thank you, Chuck, excellent review. I began on piano, so my synth world is always filtered through that perspective. I know online demos often have a lack similar to that of MP3 compression, but the main body of these pianos seems very nuanced and full. I've had my share of Rolands, so I can tell where the line is between the V-Pianos and the rest, but its a thin one when the sound is that good. I do find some lack in the release elements on the demo, so its natural to say 'Yeah, but can it compare with Pianoteq or Ivory?' You can program in the better tails, but of course, we all want that more detailed, natural decay. That aspect is TBD, but its clear that the piano is a strong selling point.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

I am a lifelong Roland fan. From my Jupiters/Junos/JX's, to my D50, U20/XP10/XP50 then the RD700NX. This Fantom looks great, but, and I might be being unfair here, this synth sounds so, well....ordinary. But I'm guessing the price tag isn't ordinary, right? Tell me why I'm wrong...

Perhaps you're confusing "ordinary" with "super-flashy." We're spoiled by ear-popping presets from Mars in bank A of most instruments, but many of those one-finger event patches or spectrum-fillling wow-leads make a quick exit in the real world. You have to massage it into being the synth you want to some extent. I understand the point, but despite its wild presets and immense flexibility, the V-Synth came and went pretty quickly. Its very playable in real-time and a seeming natural DJ fave, but it was near $3K and took some study to apply, so POOF. People want instant gratification, so Roland stays afloat in part by catering to the vintage craze. If people wanted a bold new Roland, the market would say so.

There's also the fact that only so many very serious people will be buying a costly new Fantom because its an Everything synth, so there will be far fewer outside patch sets for it. That energy is going towards the Korg 'logue line. At least in my case, buying a workstation was a clarion call to program several patch sets for my own purposes and to learn what its perform-ability was like under the hood. If you're not up for that, then you more likely need a Prophet, a new VST or two and a Nord for the other hand. Whether its a central workstation environment or a stack, it still takes 4 layers of synthesis to get to show time. :/:whistle:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

I think you nailed it with your very astute observations Dave!!

There's another aspect to the new Fantom with their TR-REC functionality. Not limited to Drums & Bass like most people think.... you can use just about anything with it! And not monophonic either, you can actually use chords with it too. I demonstrate that

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

I am a lifelong Roland fan. From my Jupiters/Junos/JX's, to my D50, U20/XP10/XP50 then the RD700NX. This Fantom looks great, but, and I might be being unfair here, this synth sounds so, well....ordinary. But I'm guessing the price tag isn't ordinary, right? Tell me why I'm wrong...

Perhaps you're confusing "ordinary" with "super-flashy." We're spoiled by ear-popping presets from Mars in bank A of most instruments, but many of those one-finger event patches or spectrum-fillling wow-leads make a quick exit in the real world. You have to massage it into being the synth you want to some extent. I understand the point, but despite its wild presets and immense flexibility, the V-Synth came and went pretty quickly. Its very playable in real-time and a seeming natural DJ fave, but it was near $3K and took some study to apply, so POOF. People want instant gratification, so Roland stays afloat in part by catering to the vintage craze. If people wanted a bold new Roland, the market would say so.

There's also the fact that only so many very serious people will be buying a costly new Fantom because its an Everything synth, so there will be far fewer outside patch sets for it. That energy is going towards the Korg 'logue line. At least in my case, buying a workstation was a clarion call to program several patch sets for my own purposes and to learn what its perform-ability was like under the hood. If you're not up for that, then you more likely need a Prophet, a new VST or two and a Nord for the other hand. Whether its a central workstation environment or a stack, it still takes 4 layers of synthesis to get to show time. :/:whistle:

Agree with everything but I have owned 2 Kronos and very aware of the layout of the Fantom in fact I played one about 5 months ago when they first came out. Great keyboard! Most likely get one in a few months