Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil PC4

That "quick access" is not quick enough for my purposes. I play in a trio and not only do the keys parts but also LH bass, so my hand cannot leave the keyboard for more than a split second during a song, to change a program. The Artis 7 (and Forte) locate a row of assignable "Favorites" buttons just above the key bed, in proximity sufficient to make a change without skipping a beat (literally). The "buttons on the right" on this PC4 are at least 3-4 times further away and there's no way I could change programs as fluidly as I do now on the Artis 7. I would love to have 88 notes in a decent gigging weight, but the absence of the "Quick" in "Access" doesn't get it for me.

Can't you just switch programs/setups with a pedal? Then you wouldn't have to take any hands or fingers off the keyboard at all. It's a fairly simple thing to set up on a Kurzweil.

Currently: Kurzweil PC4, PC3X & K2000.

Novation Mininova. Roland FA-06.

IK Multimedia SampleTank 4 & Syntronik.

Previously: Korg Trinity Plus. Roland XP-80. Yamaha EX-5.

That "quick access" is not quick enough for my purposes. I play in a trio and not only do the keys parts but also LH bass, so my hand cannot leave the keyboard for more than a split second during a song, to change a program. The Artis 7 (and Forte) locate a row of assignable "Favorites" buttons just above the key bed, in proximity sufficient to make a change without skipping a beat (literally). The "buttons on the right" on this PC4 are at least 3-4 times further away and there's no way I could change programs as fluidly as I do now on the Artis 7. I would love to have 88 notes in a decent gigging weight, but the absence of the "Quick" in "Access" doesn't get it for me.

Can't you just switch programs/setups with a pedal? Then you wouldn't have to take any hands or fingers off the keyboard at all. It's a fairly simple thing to set up on a Kurzweil.

I am pretty sure a pedal programmed to switch to different programs would have to be sequential--i.e. if I am performing with Program "1" and I need to go to Program "4" in the particular instance, I am guessing I would have to pedal-sequence through Programs 2 and 3 before arriving at 4, which would probably take as much or more time than taking a hand off the key bed and locating that assigned button in the Quick Access area of the PC4.

Kurzweil PC4-7

Kurzweil Artis 7

Alto TS312 Powered Speakers (2)

Samson 6 channel mixer

I see your point, but I find "a beat" long enough either way. On your Artis, could you really typically not hit the "Piano 1" button pretty much just as quickly as you could hit "Favorites 1"? (Also keep in mind that, with a couple of octaves devoted to LH bass, you're probably going to octave shift and move "middle C" to the C an octave higher, so your hand will be skewing toward the right for much of its playing anyway.) Also keep in mind that the buttons on the PC4, though similarly oriented toward the right, are actually much easier to hit quickly then the buttons on the Artis, because they are bigger targets and they are each well differentiated from each other. THat was one of my complaints about the Artis7 compared to the SP4-7 that kind of functionally preceded it... those small and thin Artis buttons, all butted up right against each other, were not nearly as easy to navigate and select quickly/reliably. I'm glad that's not an issue on the PC4.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I love my SP6, this makes me want a PC4...

yeah, I love my chick ... it makes me want ... .

... a younger and more flexible version?

Same axe and sound basically(I know it has more but sonically and play-ability) , just with larger 'dials' and 'sliders;.....a Dials and Slider Job augmentation ...

I do use organ on gigs, I found the dials for that and other assignable parms and effects a bit confusing on the gig to use ,especially in low light, I'd prefer sliders for the drawbars and the effects levels or anything else as on the PC4 as opposed to the to the SP6...

everything else I'm sort of OK about on the 6!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Can anyone confirm that the keybed on the PC4 is the same as the SP6 except for aftertouch?

as usual, there is no way around this. we have to get on one and try it out. even if it is the exact same action, the aftertouch strip is going to change how it feels to play it.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I see your point, but I find "a beat" long enough either way. On your Artis, could you really typically not hit the "Piano 1" button pretty much just as quickly as you could hit "Favorites 1"? (Also keep in mind that, with a couple of octaves devoted to LH bass, you're probably going to octave shift and move "middle C" to the C an octave higher, so your hand will be skewing toward the right for much of its playing anyway.) Also keep in mind that the buttons on the PC4, though similarly oriented toward the right, are actually much easier to hit quickly then the buttons on the Artis, because they are bigger targets and they are each well differentiated from each other. THat was one of my complaints about the Artis7 compared to the SP4-7 that kind of functionally preceded it... those small and thin Artis buttons, all butted up right against each other, were not nearly as easy to navigate and select quickly/reliably. I'm glad that's not an issue on the PC4.

I view the QA buttons area on the PC3 and 4 boards as crowded compared to a single horizontal row on the Artis. In addition, I've labeled those 10 Favorites buttons on my Artis with the respective saved Multis (all having LH bass but different mid to high octave sounds) using a single 1/4" strip of paper defining each and taped down. It probably boils down to just being used to doing it a certain way and getting proficient at switching programs quickly and efficiently while performing.

Kurzweil PC4-7

Kurzweil Artis 7

Samson 6 channel mixer

Picking up from the "new rig daydreaming - recommendations?" thread...

I"ve been contemplating a similar change. I guess for OP, I wonder how important it is for you to have analogue knobby synth?

This is what I"m thinking for myself, if the PC4 has a good weighted keyboard feel to me, I"d consider getting the PC4 as a lower board and the MODX7 as the upper board. Well, another 'if', not sure I"d be satisfied with the KB3 sound for B3 and I might miss the Kronos?

These two boards are light at 28 and 16 lbs and would give a wide range of options, with the possible exception of a great organ sound.

The PC4 handles most of what is typically needed, so the question of what to best add for a non-hammer board is an interesting one. Maybe a knobby synth, maybe a higher quality organ. If you can't decide between those two, then it's probably a Nord Stage 3 Compact.

As for organ quality, remember that the PC4 also has assignable outs, making it easy to put organ through something like a Ventilator or Lester K. And the PC4 also has very flexible MIDI implementation which can help if you want to trigger its organ sounds for your other board for its action.

As for synth, with some effort, one could probably make a better knobby synth emulation out of its control surface than you've been able to on past models, since they added the 9 definable knobs to the 9 definable sliders and buttons... I think it has the highest number of definable controls of any Kurz. It still won't quite be the same as a dedicated knobby synth, though.

I'm actually thinking of going another way, and using the Roland AX-Edge, because it would do double duty as occasional keytar for some songs, which would be fun. I'd probably use it for a combination of its own sounds and to trigger PC4 sounds, just because I can. Also, picking up from the QA discussion above, the AX-Edge has nice convenient patch select buttons, and I think they'd be useable to select from both internal and external sounds.

The other boards I have that I'm thinking about are the Yamaha MODX7 and Korg PA1000. The MODX7 gives me a lightweight 76 keys and a soundset I've really grown accustomed to (I've had a Yamaha of some sort on most of my gigs this century); the PA1000 is a newer acquisition and I"m really enjoying some of its sonic capabilities as well, plus I might have it at a gig anyway since I've used it as my quick solo ceremony/cocktail board with its built in speakers... so by making it my top board, I might only be traveling with two boards instead of three.

For my LH bass gigs, I prefer playing LH bass on my upper board, but if I went with the 49-key AX-Edge, I'd switch and use the PC4 itself. The MODX7 of course gives me the comfortable 76 keys for LH bass. The PA1000 at 61 would be usable for LH bass... while I prefer more keys, the PA1000 is better than most 61s for LH bass because there's a front panel button dedicated to just octave shifting your right-hand sound on the fly, which kind of extends your 61 very quickly.

I'm not sure which ONE I would buy if putting together a dedicated 2-board rig from scratch, but since I do already own a variety, I'm sure I'll switch among different top boards depending on the particular gig. Realistically, if I'm playing LH bass, I'd have almost no opportunity to use a keytar anyway, so the AX-Edge loses its edge for those scenarios. So... maybe AX-Edge for simple 2-board gigs for its keytar benefit; PA1000 if I'm bringing it anyway or if it's a LH bass gig; or if I'm not bringing the Korg anyway, for LH bass gigs I could go with the more comfortable 76 keyspan of the MODX7 or NS3. NS3 better for organ, VA synth, and probably acoustic pianos (which could be triggered from the PC4), MODX advantages are light weight, better LH bass flexibility, better patch selection functionality, and stronger sounds outside the piano/organ/VA synth categories. Tough choice. Classic first world problem!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I think the most interesting thing about the PC4 is that it is a valid alternative to the Korg Kronos. It has several sound engines, including VA, drawbar organ, 6 operator FM, VAST and so on. It has riff generators. It could be argued that the Kronos still has more. But the Kronos has several "engines" that are VA engines. True they emulate different analog synths from Korg's past, but I think it's stretching things to count them all as separate engines.

I think the most interesting thing about the PC4 is that it is a valid alternative to the Korg Kronos. It has several sound engines, including VA, drawbar organ, 6 operator FM, VAST and so on. It has riff generators. It could be argued that the Kronos still has more. But the Kronos has several "engines" that are VA engines. True they emulate different analog synths from Korg's past, but I think it's stretching things to count them all as separate engines.

And on the other hand, talking about V.A.S.T. as "one" synth engine is kind of an understatement. Given how many different combinations of osc's, filters, DSP's, signal paths, FUN's, etc. you can make with V.A.S.T., you could argue that the Kurzweil has an "unknown high number of synth engines".

I'd say the PC4 has three very compelling advantages over the Kronos:

- You can carry it to gigs without having to hire a roadie.

- It is significantly cheaper, without cutting many corners in terms of sound and functionality.

- It boots much faster.

Currently: Kurzweil PC4, PC3X & K2000.

Novation Mininova. Roland FA-06.

IK Multimedia SampleTank 4 & Syntronik.

Previously: Korg Trinity Plus. Roland XP-80. Yamaha EX-5.

And on the other hand, talking about V.A.S.T. as "one" synth engine is kind of an understatement. Given how many different combinations of osc's, filters, DSP's, signal paths, FUN's, etc. you can make with V.A.S.T., you could argue that the Kurzweil has an "unknown high number of synth engines".

I'd say the PC4 has three very compelling advantages over the Kronos:

- You can carry it to gigs without having to hire a roadie.

- It is significantly cheaper, without cutting many corners in terms of sound and functionality.

- It boots much faster.

very interested in the PC4. I would rely on the SEQ, there are a few of us that like internal SEQ's.

Unfortunately , I am not seeing the capability to convert a PC4 midi Song file into an audio or WAV file.

Not talking about making a full CD.

Just converting or sampling the midi file into an audio WAV file. Then get it to USB device.

http://kurzweil.com/knowledgebase/mark_12i/song_recorder/136/

If this is correct, Kronos is more versatile for song writers,as it has audio in sampling. Where I can mix down

my SEQ Songs into a single WAV or audio file.

Yes, I know many are not interested in hardware SEQ's and have their DAWS. etc.

I like keyboards that function completely as a standalone for recording. Thus the time trip

back to work stations.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I finally had a chance to try the Medeli K6 action, at a store that had a Yamaha P-125 and a Kawai ES-110 nearby, both of which are the same weight as the PC4. I was amazed at the difference -- the Yamaha and Kawai actions are superb and I think as realistic piano actions that are possible in a sub-30 pound board.

If only the PC4 had the Kawai ES110 action. Oh well ............

I'm assuming the Medeli 2400 and Kurz KA-90 have the K6, same as PC4.

I just finished an initial 8+ minute demo video for Kurzweil (with no talking). Hopefully it will be posted soon. The more I play the PC4, the more I love it. Fantastic sounds, easy access to common parameters, immense flexibility in assigning controllers, and light weight. The Medeli action, while not as good as the Forte (obviously) is still playable and responsive. For $2k, I don't see how you could do any better.

Oh and the FM engine is awesome. Combined with the CC SEQ function and the fantastic onboard effects, the variety and expressiveness of the sounds is right up there with the Yamaha Montage for 1/4 the price. 256 note polyphony, up to 32 layers per program, 16 programs per multi?!? Insane multi-timbral capabilities.

I just finished an initial 8+ minute demo video for Kurzweil (with no talking). Hopefully it will be posted soon. The more I play the PC4, the more I love it. Fantastic sounds, easy access to common parameters, immense flexibility in assigning controllers, and light weight. The Medeli action, while not as good as the Forte (obviously) is still playable and responsive. For $2k, I don't see how you could do any better.

Oh and the FM engine is awesome. Combined with the CC SEQ function and the fantastic onboard effects, the variety and expressiveness of the sounds is right up there with the Yamaha Montage for 1/4 the price. 256 note polyphony, up to 32 layers per program, 16 programs per multi?!? Insane multi-timbral capabilities.

Pretty much agree, except it's 1/2 the price, not 1/4. :poke:

But we can dream, right? :w00t:

Very nice video, Jim!

Thanks!!!

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

Very nice video, Jim!

Thanks!!!

And great sounds by Dave Weiser!

Pretty much agree, except it's 1/2 the price, not 1/4. :poke:

But we can dream, right? :w00t:

You are correct. My apologies for the typo.

Very nice video, Jim!

Thanks!!!

The sounds in that video are all stock. Dave offers his own set but I did not use them in that video per the request of Kurzweil.

I've been digging into the SONG mode of the PC4. It's extremely powerful and easy to use. The feature that's blowing my mind is that you can use songs as RIFFS in MULTI mode. In other words, you can have an entire 16 track song and assign it to one of the 16 layers in MULTI mode, and then assign an entirely different songG to another layer and they can run independently of each other. WHAT?!? I can't really think of a reason why, but you could do it. A much more practical use for it is to set up multiple riffs, like horn riffs and be able to play them with one finger while doing other parts on the keys, like for a cover band or something. Each RIFF could be a separate lick. Way cool!

The sounds in that video are all stock. Dave offers his own set but I did not use them in that video

though since Dave did sound programming while at Kurzweil, and PC4 sounds are derived from the previous models, you may have been playing some DW sounds anyway...

Oh and here's the Kurzweil demo for anyone interested. There are more coming focusing on the actual features.

Very nice, but I want to know the joke/comment Jim heard right before "FM EP Piano." :laugh:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Took delivery of the PC4 on Wednesday and it's already repackaged and heading back. Wow: WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! I've play Kurz' exclusively since the PC3's came out, have owned all but their 88 note models, tried the SP4 series (hated the key bed) and most recently have used their Artis 7 in live performances. With all the mainly-positive comments concerning the new lightweight (critical for me) keyboard with more power, capabilities and 88 keys, I decided to take the plunge, sight-unseen, with no retailers nearby for a test drive.

1. The keys SUCK, IMO. They reminded me of the clunky and noisy keys on an SP4. For me, the Fatar TP8 on the PC3 and now the Artis 7 is a perfect hybrid between a piano key and a synth or organ key--both which are prevalent in my use in performing. Frankly, I feel the Medeli key bed does neither very well.

2. As much as I tried I could not get the PC4 to accept my saved programs from many years of programming on my PC3's and the Artis. After uploading (several times), I would get the respective title for each of the (30+) saved programs, but in most cases they didn't sound at all or, in a couple of instances, the sounds were distorted and contorted--not resembling at all what they originally sounded like. Compatibility was a key factor in my consideration to purchase.

3. The layout was cumbersome. I use the sliders/drawbars area a LOT and I found that with the row of controls over and under the sliders (buttons and knobs), I found myself activating various functions or changing other settings without intent.

4. Delivered defective. All this to say that the board was literally defective out of the box. In all the years of buying boards online, this is only the 2nd one that's arrived broken. Beginning at B4, then E5, G5 and from there every note upward, there was no tone whatsoever--dead, nada. I interfaced with Jean at Kurzweil support and he concluded that something probably "broke loose during shipment". For me--someone who gigs a lot--that gave me the jitters, thinking that most of the transporting I'd be doing with that board would not have been in a container nearly as well insulated and protected against jostling or being thrown about. My first experience with DOA was the Mojo61 (didn't fire up at all), which I returned and never looked back--or to another Mojo, for that reason alone.

That said, this board probably is a good fit for some of you: relatively light for an 88 note board with full keys, lots of great Kurzweil sounds and programs, and a reasonably modern screen. This level of board also has a tremendous feature absent in most other boards: that being two sets of separate Outputs, allowing total and dedicated split of your board (great for LH bass players like me, who want to run the bass parts separately into a bass amp, etc). However, with my recent experience with the defective unit and those horrible keys, I will pass.

Kurzweil PC4-7

Kurzweil Artis 7

Samson 6 channel mixer

quote : 'that being two sets of separate Outputs, allowing total and dedicated split of your board (great for LH bass players like me, who want to run the bass parts separately into a bass amp, etc).'/quote

http://kurzweil.com/content/image/product_detail/310/medium/img_0519.jpg

Maybe I"m missing something but this pic from Kurzweil"s website of the back of the PC4 shows 2 distinct set of outputs (labeled 'A' and 'B'). I think this would do what you want (split bass out one and right hand sound out another)?

Kurzweil Forte,Roland Fantom 6,Hydrasynth,Numa C2X, SpaceStation V.3, other stuffs