Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Building a new recording computer

I might be up and running in a week or three with a new DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). I bought a new laptop the other day and I am going to start using my Dell desktop as a DAW. I am still all set up in my shed for DAW work, all I need to do is configure Windows 10 for DAW work. I want to keep it off of the internet, so I can shut off Windows Defender, and keep Windows from downloading updates. I have to figure a way to do that. I also want to get rid of Cortana and Windows Edge somehow. Once I am off of the web with that computer I can disable those two. (Google is my friend) I read of a way to do that, so once I have the laptop up and running, I can delete most of the stuff off of the desktop, and have at it. The desktop is an Intel I-5 with plenty of RAM with a solid state hard drive and I have a few external drives one of which is also Solid State. So it should work well.

Does anyone know of a way to force delete windows folders like Cortana and Edge? I have read of ways to disable them by changing the folder addresses, but bagging them up and trashing them would be even better.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ DBM, no idea on how to delete Windows Edge and Cortana folders...maybe you can ask Cortana LOL! But seriously, good luck and hope the DAWS set up is successful! :cool:

Thanks amigo. I used to do this stuff in a single day but nowadays I need naps between sessions. :cheers:

I'm in the process of doing same. For Christmas my wife will buy me a new laptop with a Thunderbolt mother board which I need to have to work with the Presonus software and hardware that I've already purchased.
"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

Naps are good. Good luck with the software fix. I quit keeping up with that stuff about 20 years ago as I have about 100 IT techs to do that kind of stuff on my work systems and I currently don't have a computer at home. Maybe I will have to catch up after I retire this coming summer. Jim

I'm in the process of doing same. For Christmas my wife will buy me a new laptop with a Thunderbolt mother board which I need to have to work with the Presonus software and hardware that I've already purchased.
Have fun with it amigo.

@DBM - My respect, brother! I'd long ago backed away from using my computer as my recording rig, watching buddies try to keep up with each and every software, firmware and accompanying hardware upgrade. I knew I couldn't afford it, so I went with a Roland HDR, added a small auxiliary box a few years back, and make do with what I have.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Slow and steady wins this race.

I am still organizing and streamlining my entire system but there is significant progress on a weekly basis.

Some things take time, I've organized my plugins on my DAW and that saves a lot of time. Now it is easier to evaluate different plugins according to type (Delay, Reverb, etc.) Evaluation will take time and then more plugins can probably go away forever.

Start simple, easier to solve problems with fewer variables.

I don't do Windows so no help there, sorry. I've had great luck with doing a search for my question and adding the word "forum". Often this brings up forums where the problem is discussed and somebody who knows how to solve it will chime in. If you get stuck, give it a try!

Cheers,

Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Just because something hasn't been uninstalled doesn't mean it will slow down the system, what matters if it is still running in the background or not, and how much CPU and/or disk it is using. To see what's running and how much it is taxing the system, use the Task Manager. Hit Ctl-Alt-Del, select "task manager", allow access, then click the arrow that says "More Details" or something like that. It will show a whole big huge long list of apps, background processes, and windows processes, along with how much CPU usage and disk usage.

Incidentally you can kill it by selecting and clicking "end process" but doing it that way can potentially make the system unstable, and when you restart the computer, they'll likely just start back up again. Usually uninstalling should get rid of them. Most stuff you can uninstall by simply going into the control panel and add/remove programs. Beyond that, do a little googling on how to remove things from your startup through the system registry. This will prevent things from automatically launching on startup, but will not remove them. That way they are still available to you if you need them but don't run in the background. That's where a lot of software or for instance a printer driver will put stuff to automatically look for updates. Since you won't be connected to the internet, it wouldn't be able to find them anyway, so no sense in having it running in the background.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

@DBM - My respect, brother! I'd long ago backed away from using my computer as my recording rig, watching buddies try to keep up with each and every software, firmware and accompanying hardware upgrade. I knew I couldn't afford it, so I went with a Roland HDR, added a small auxiliary box a few years back, and make do with what I have.

Thanks bro. I do not mind the set up issues it will take me a day to do that. I am using old software, and am spending zero bucks. just trying to get some ideas on for new recording projects. I have just about got the new laptop up and running, perhaps tomorrow. Once that is done I will do some major uninstalling on this computer (the desktop destined for DAW work). I have been doing digital recording via computer since the late 90's, so I am well versed in how to use that old software to the fullest.

I started out on analog gear, I once had an Otari 16 track 30 ips machine and an Otari Half Track 30 ips machine with a TAC Scorpion 24x16 Console. I ran them with a Macintosh plus computer and locked the whole schlemiel together with SMPTE time code. So I was in on the whole digital recording process from day 1, using MIDI only sequencers, editing programs for the Synths and samplers, and a host of MIDI capable outboard gear.

My Windows DAW with a small amount of software out does that analog stuff by far for ease of recording, and ease of editing and mixing. A project that would take me days on the analog gear, I can get done in an afternoon with a computer based DAW.

Slow and steady wins this race.

I am still organizing and streamlining my entire system but there is significant progress on a weekly basis.

Some things take time, I've organized my plugins on my DAW and that saves a lot of time. Now it is easier to evaluate different plugins according to type (Delay, Reverb, etc.) Evaluation will take time and then more plugins can probably go away forever.

Start simple, easier to solve problems with fewer variables.

I don't do Windows so no help there, sorry. I've had great luck with doing a search for my question and adding the word "forum". Often this brings up forums where the problem is discussed and somebody who knows how to solve it will chime in. If you get stuck, give it a try!

I have had a Mac system as well. Thanks for the reply amigo.

I might be up and running in a week or three with a new DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). I bought a new laptop the other day and I am going to start using my Dell desktop as a DAW. I am still all set up in my shed for DAW work, all I need to do is configure Windows 10 for DAW work. I want to keep it off of the internet, so I can shut off Windows Defender, and keep Windows from downloading updates. I have to figure a way to do that. I also want to get rid of Cortana and Windows Edge somehow. paris shuttle airports Once I am off of the web with that computer I can disable those two. (Google is my friend) I read of a way to do that, so once I have the laptop up and running, I can delete most of the stuff off of the desktop, and have at it. The desktop is an Intel I-5 with plenty of RAM with a solid state hard drive and I have a few external drives one of which is also Solid State. So it should work well.

Does anyone know of a way to force delete windows folders like Cortana and Edge? I have read of ways to disable them by changing the folder addresses, but bagging them up and trashing them would be even better.

i have no idea about that.

@ DBM, I'm going to be ordering Band In A Box 2019 for my computer. I've got 930 Gigs on my D drive with nothing on it so I can load BIAB and keep it separate. The "boxed" version of BIAB for Windows software comes on a Flash Drive in 64 bit and will provide me with a back up if my computer should ever crash on me. I have 8 Gigs of Ram so my computer should handle the basic version easily...just something to play around with in my spare time so I can make a few custom backing tracks and maybe write something...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BIABPro19WBx--pg-music-band-in-a-box-2019-pro-for-windows-boxed?

:cool:

Take care, Larryz

@ DBM, I'm going to be ordering Band In A Box 2019 for my computer.

I might update my band in a box for the Win 10 DAW to be built very soon.

I do have the old versions of BIAB as well as Jammer professional on an XP laptop that still runs, once I am out there fixing the studio up a bit, I will experiment with how well it works. I will have to load on a set of samples and synths that come with my Sonar Versions that will get the laptop up an running for MIDI file creation.

I sent in my order for the 2019 BIAB today...looking forward to playing around with it and having a little fun! I can always add to the basic version down the road... :thu:

ps. there are lots of quick start tutorials on YouTube and I found a couple that should get me up and running... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

• 2 weeks later...
Got the BIAB software loaded up last night and played around with it a little. It looks like it is going to work great on my computer. I'll be using it to learn new stuff and make a few backing tracks. There is going to be a learning curve but that will keep me interested in learning more about the capabilities and read the manual. I'm going to skip using midi as I really only need the real band tracks to play with. It looks like it's going to be a lot of fun and the 1st jazz combo provided some new great chord patterns and back up for me to play with and delve into. This is going to be a great writing tool. I don't know how I managed to get it all loaded on the 1st try with very limited computer knowledge. The YouTube clips were very helpful and I had one lap top running the instructional vids while going through the loading process on my newer one. Anyway my report back to the forum is: I love it so far! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Excellent news Larryz, I am still using a older version of BIAB and Jammer Pro (A similar program) on an XP Pro laptop used for that purpose. I use the MIDI export function so I can use samples in Sonar and then edit the MIDI's before rendering them to audio. However once I get my new DAW up and running, I will probably pull the trigger on a new version for the DAW. But still keep the XP laptop for a spare. I have been using MIDI in recording since I began with my analog set up in the Mid 80's.

I have a real good knowledge in how to manipulate MIDI to my taste such as using edit tools in Sonar to transpose, before rendering them to audio and remove the MIDI generated bends and other data. My first computer recording set up was run by a Mac Plus (that's how long ago) I used the Mac to use MOTU's Performer 1 a MIDI only sequencer and I controlled some MIDI capable modules such as synths and samplers and SMPTE time code to lock the sequencer to the tape decks. And yes to answer Jimi's question, I am experienced.

:laugh::cheers: