Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yahoo Groups Shutting Down

Just in case there are people here who haven't seen the thread on the Keyboard Corner, Yahoo has announced that they are going to shut down Groups. New posts will be disabled starting Oct. 28th (a few days away), and all content will be deleted on December 14th. Lots of history there that's going to disappear. Here's the thread in the Keyboard Corner with some links: https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3013530/semi-ot-yahoo-groups-are-closing#Post3013530.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if there"s anything we can do to help?

dB

Been wondering the same. I am going to attempt to archive some of the groups but we'll see how that goes.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Facebook Groups' interface is dreadful. No sorting that's useful, and of course, it's Facebook. An option for sure though.

dB

I archived some content related to my needs over the years, but not orderly though and by far not everything.

I see Yahoo Xpantastic might move over to Groops.io and TX-816 group decided to go to Google groups.

But IMO, it would be best to see all under only one roof again.

Someone @ Yahoo Clonewheel proposed moving over to MPN, which I´d appreciate a lot.

The vintage DAW stuff like Opcode (Studio Vision) group and others were nice to have available under the roof of the CPU-Labs forum p.ex..

All the info about synths, samplers and romplers incl. manuals, service manuals, firmware files, eprom images, sysex-patches is still great and it would be a shame it gets lost,- even partially.

Vintage Synth Repair and Vintage Schematics were very important too and I think we´d need not only the existing info in future, we also need the input from skilled guys today and in future.

Maybe some top level MPN employee chimes in and makes Yahoo Groups moderators an offer.

I myself, I formerly subscribed to.

AKAI S1000 samplers

ATARI MIDI

ATARI MIDI archives

Clone Wheel

DX Series

EMU II list

Korg M1M1Rex

Korg Wavestation

Lords of the Mini

MKS80

Oberheim DPX

Opcode Users

Roland D50 Synth Users

Roland JX Analogues

SY77

Vintagesynth Repair

VmachinesGroup

Xpantastic

Yamaha TG500

Yamaha TX816

some more software too, some of these* probably better covered elsewhere meanwhile ...

*Combinator

Daichi Synth 1 Users

*FM7 FM8

Greenoak Crystal

*Reason Thor

:)

A.C.

dB

Maybe some top level MPN employee chimes in and makes Yahoo Groups moderators an offer..

What kind of an offer? :idk:

If these people need a place to move, they're welcome to come here. I'd be happy to create a Yahoo Groups forum with appropriate sub-forums for each group, if that would work...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

What kind of an offer? :idk:

Well, I better said "invitation",- sorry.

If these people need a place to move, they're welcome to come here. I'd be happy to create a Yahoo Groups forum with appropriate sub-forums for each group, if that would work...

dB

I think this is exactly what they should be informed about.

I guess most don´t know this possibility (occasion) exists.

A.C.

I wonder if some Yahoo groups are moving to groups.io and automatically migrating the users. We have a local Freecycle Yahoo group, and they're moving to groups.io. When I went there to re-register, I found that I was already registered to the new group, and when I looked at "My Groups," saw that Old VTRs, another Yahoo group I was on, showed up as well.

Well, when I tried finding former Yahoo DXSeries group, migrated since about a week to groups.io, it didn´t work even when doing a search by name.

Yahoo TX816 migrated to Google groups,- link doesn´t work, no login possible, access to content denied.

All nitemare up to now.

A.C.

dB

I archived some content related to my needs over the years, but not orderly though and by far not everything.

I see Yahoo Xpantastic might move over to Groops.io and TX-816 group decided to go to Google groups.

But IMO, it would be best to see all under only one roof again.

Someone @ Yahoo Clonewheel proposed moving over to MPN, which I´d appreciate a lot.

The vintage DAW stuff like Opcode (Studio Vision) group and others were nice to have available under the roof of the CPU-Labs forum p.ex..

All the info about synths, samplers and romplers incl. manuals, service manuals, firmware files, eprom images, sysex-patches is still great and it would be a shame it gets lost,- even partially.

Vintage Synth Repair and Vintage Schematics were very important too and I think we´d need not only the existing info in future, we also need the input from skilled guys today and in future.

Maybe some top level MPN employee chimes in and makes Yahoo Groups moderators an offer.

I myself, I formerly subscribed to.

AKAI S1000 samplers

ATARI MIDI

ATARI MIDI archives

Clone Wheel

DX Series

EMU II list

Korg M1M1Rex

Korg Wavestation

Lords of the Mini

MKS80

Oberheim DPX

Opcode Users

Roland D50 Synth Users

Roland JX Analogues

SY77

Vintagesynth Repair

VmachinesGroup

Xpantastic

Yamaha TG500

Yamaha TX816

some more software too, some of these* probably better covered elsewhere meanwhile ...

*Combinator

Daichi Synth 1 Users

*FM7 FM8

Greenoak Crystal

*Reason Thor

A.C.

Just joined the Vintage Schematics one. Seems there's nothing there at all except for some old posts. ?

Have you had any luck archiving anything? If not, would you be willing to do what AnotherScott mentioned, letting me have access to a couple of those where the moderators are pretty much gone and there's no one to approve membership?

If so, the ones I'm interested in are:

ATARI MIDI

EMU II list

Korg M1M1Rex

Oberheim DPX

Roland JX Analogues

Vintagesynth Repair

Just joined the Vintage Schematics one. Seems there's nothing there at all except for some old posts. ?

There are a lot w/ no activity since years.

Have you had any luck archiving anything?

As I said,- I already archived what I need(ed) when it was posted or uploaded.

Actually I don´t have the time archiving "more" or "all".

I´m unsure about if that is really necessary or not ...

I´d be happy when the groups survived elsewhere and there´s activity then ...

If not, would you be willing to do what AnotherScott mentioned, letting me have access to a couple of those where the moderators are pretty much gone and there's no one to approve membership?

How should that work ?

Logging into Yahoo is a single username and a single password for everything,- not only for the groups or individual groups.

Once a membership for a group was confirmed by a moderator, you were in w/ your general Yahoo account.

So,- I´m unable giving my account to the public,- and I hope that´s understandable.

ATARI MIDI

EMU II list

Korg M1M1Rex

Oberheim DPX

Roland JX Analogues

Vintagesynth Repair

Shoot a PM when in urgent need for some info related to the gear mentioned above.

When time allows and I find the files, I´m willing to help always.

I collected a lot in the past which is spread across many old external drives,- and internal ones, in different (old) machines ... which are also in stock and sometimes will need new batteries before running again.

It´s not necessary to grab every single email, pic or file from these groups.

A.C.

There are a lot w/ no activity since years.

Yes; I meant that the Files section is empty.

Have you had any luck archiving anything?

As I said,- I already archived what I need(ed) when it was posted or uploaded.

Actually I don´t have the time archiving "more" or "all".

I´m unsure about if that is really necessary or not ...

I´d be happy when the groups survived elsewhere and there´s activity then ...

I understand, I'm juggling archiving with school and other things. Glad you have what you need. "Necessary" is relative I think; sometimes there's information on repairs or programming that's not in files or attachments but rather in the threads themselves; that's how I'm looking at it anyways for myself.

If not, would you be willing to do what AnotherScott mentioned, letting me have access to a couple of those where the moderators are pretty much gone and there's no one to approve membership?

How should that work ?

Logging into Yahoo is a single username and a single password for everything,- not only for the groups or individual groups.

Once a membership for a group was confirmed by a moderator, you were in w/ your general Yahoo account.

So,- I´m unable giving my account to the public,- and I hope that´s understandable.

Usually someone would change their password, privately PM the person who's interested with the data, and then when the process is done, change the password again. No public involved.

ATARI MIDI

EMU II list

Korg M1M1Rex

Oberheim DPX

Roland JX Analogues

Vintagesynth Repair

Shoot a PM when in urgent need for some info related to the gear mentioned above.

When time allows and I find the files, I´m willing to help always.

I collected a lot in the past which is spread across many old external drives,- and internal ones, in different (old) machines ... which are also in stock and sometimes will need new batteries before running again.

It´s not necessary to grab every single email, pic or file from these groups.

A.C.

I understand what you're saying and thanks. It's more that I wouldn't say it's always an "urgent need". I research stuff constantly and also it's not just about me but for the keyboard world in general. Planning on making an accessible site with the archives in the future. Sometimes there's stuff beyond the files that's useful. I appreciate your offer though. :)

Having these as part of MPN is a good idea on paper, but file archiving isn't something that our platform provides transparently (yet?), so I don't know how storage of docs, schematics, sysex, etc., would work. I am not a member of groups.io and haven't looked at my Yahoo! groups in years, which is funny as hell since I used to practically live my life over there...

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music