Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mini Vent ii and XK5 hammond clone connections

With the mini vent will it work with an 11 pin leslie connection from the organ clone to the 1/4" input or a 1/4" to 1/4" from the clone? If it works with both, does the 11 pin cable cause an automatic bypass to the internal leslie sym while the 1/4" to 1/4" does not?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect what you want to do can still be done but ... you need to find some info out about the XK-5. Namely is it like the XK-3c and expects 12v dc to hit pin 11 to know a Leslie is plugged in. If so you will need to wire a power supply to the pin connector. Without the power supply the XK will not shut off the sim. It is critical the incoming power is wired to the correct pin or you can blow the hell out of things.

If Hammond changed the design with the XK5 then maybe it is not necessary to add the incoming power supply.

This is how I run my XK3c rig. Bruce Wahler made my Leslie cable to run from from XK to Vent but does not do those anymore. They are a pain to wire.

You can try to contact Addison but their support isn"t what it used to be.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

FYI - here are instructions. You must verify Hammond did not make design changes with the XK5.

http://www.neo-instruments.de/en/ventilator-downloads/8-11-pin-adapter-cable-for-xk-3c-and-ventilator/download

One of the neater things the XK5 does is to allow the 11 pin to employ a real leslie and the 1/4 inch to send the sim to FOH. Obviously this is not what you are looking for but you have options because it is switchable.. You can, for example disable the 1/4 out sim by using the bypass switch on the XK5 and send a dry signal to your vent with messing with an 11 pin. If you want to use the 11 pin because you want to use the onboard fast slow and stop, plugging the 11 pin in disables the built in hammond sim so I suppose you can do what you first described. if it were me, I'd keep it simple and just got 1/4 in to 1/4 in and use the vent speed controls..

Hi,

I use the original Vent 1 with my XK5.

The audio signal on the 11pin is always the dry organ sound without the internal Leslie s´sim (not the same as on the XK3c).

You don't need to send power to the XK5 11pin socket.

With this configuration you are also able to compare the internal sim (still on the line out L/R) and the Vent.

IMHO the Vent is still better than the internal sim (but of Course Hammond will tell you different... ;-) )

Hope that helps.

Markus

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

If you don"t need to send power to pin #11 then you are set. Hammond and Thomann both sell adapter cables that will do what you want.

The overdrive on the Vent is great. It responds to the swell pedal like a tube amp. I have not played the XK5.

PS. I don"t see the Thomann 11 pin cable anymore, just the 8 pin adapter cable. Too bad because the Hammond adapter cable is $100.