Print Thread
I give up on local repair shops...need reccos #3014945 11/04/19 09:59 PM
zeronyne Offline OP
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member
I live in a major metropolitan area (Chicago).

My very local music store has a repair backlog so big that they have gear waiting to repair all over the sales floor.
The more well-known repair place in the city has 3 stars from Yelp, but it's all either 5 stars or 1 star. I did use them a decade ago and got burned.
So I've resigned myself to having to ship my Micro Q and just trust someone in a faraway land.

Can any of you recommend a reliable, fast, and trustworthy repair shop anywhere in the US for a rack synth? Someone you've dealt with personally? I'm willing to pay...I'm not a lowballer...just want honesty.

"For instance" is not proof.
Re: I give up on local repair shops...need reccos [Re: zeronyne] #3014960 11/04/19 11:49 PM
Anderton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
What's wrong with it? Last week the number keyboard on my microwave stopped working. It's old, so I figured I'd need to get a new microwave. But I unscrewed the keyboard assembly, unseated the connectors, re-seated the connectors, and it's been working ever since. It may be something as simple as dealing with the connectors to remove oxidation.

Re: I give up on local repair shops...need reccos [Re: zeronyne] #3014979 11/05/19 03:40 AM
zeronyne Offline OP
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member
Excessive noise in the outputs. This is a known problem with Waldorf Micro Qs. I’ve opened it up and messed with it before, and I’m loathe to spend more money on it, but I hate the thought of it sitting unused.

Re: I give up on local repair shops...need reccos [Re: zeronyne] #3015030 11/05/19 04:37 PM
dboomer Offline
Check this out ... lasynthco.com

Ok, this is my son’s shop. He was head keyboard repair for Roland for 7 years and then they assigned him to fix their vintage stuff that they no longer made parts for. Eventually he left left Roland and opened this specialty shop to fix the unfixable and now manufactures previously unattainable parts for vintage synths as well.

Re: I give up on local repair shops...need reccos [Re: dboomer] #3015041 11/05/19 06:05 PM
zeronyne Offline OP
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by dboomer

Ok, this is my son’s shop. He was head keyboard repair for Roland for 7 years and then they assigned him to fix their vintage stuff that they no longer made parts for. Eventually he left left Roland and opened this specialty shop to fix the unfixable and now manufactures previously unattainable parts for vintage synths as well.

Contacting now. Thank you!

Re: I give up on local repair shops...need reccos [Re: zeronyne] #3015066 11/05/19 09:11 PM
zeronyne Offline OP
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by zeronyne
Originally Posted by dboomer

Contacting now. Thank you!

Doesn't work on Waldorfs, but I appreciated the quick response. Thank you.

Anyone with other reccomendations, I'd be grateful.

Re: I give up on local repair shops...need reccos [Re: zeronyne] #3015079 11/05/19 10:49 PM
N
Nowarezman Offline
N
Here in Austin is a retail synth shop that sells and services tons of vintage to modern units.

I had them work on some stuff - seemed honest.

Can't hurt to email them and see what they say -

switchedonaustin@gmail.com

Here's a link to their website -

Switched On Austin

nat

Re: I give up on local repair shops...need reccos [Re: Nowarezman] #3015190 11/07/19 04:48 PM
davedoerfler Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
yeahthat

haven't used them myself but I have heard/seen nothing but good things about switched on austin

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Plus, old gear has a story. I like that.
Re: I give up on local repair shops...need reccos [Re: Nowarezman] #3015212 11/07/19 05:59 PM
zeronyne Offline OP
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Nowarezman

Got a quick response from them, and he even suggested things for me to try myself before sending it. Thanks much. (LA Synth Co also recommended them).

Moderated by  Anderton