Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

1 board, 2 midi ch simultaneously.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What keyboard are you using?

Cheers, Mike.

I have a clutter of cheap controllers. A couple of irig 37pro, a couple of alesis v49, a nectar impact 49 , a novation impulse 61, and a Samson carbon 61. Not to mention a vortex and a korg rk100. I was into vsti's but am in a hardware phase. I would be controlling a jd-xi. I've already succeeded in controlling it's 3 synths with 2 controllers and the mini keys. I'd like to be able to layer the engines at certain times.

FunMachine.

Thanks Jr, that's quite a collection of mediocre controllers.

How did you manage to control "3 synths with 2 controllers" - MIDI merge box? Routing through a PC/mac?

Cheers, Mike.

I used one usb output controller via a Midiplus usb midi host's usb input. I ran another controller with a din out into the din input of the midiplus. Then I selected the analog synth on the panel of the roland JD-Xi and played it via the on board minikeys. That is 2 controllers and 3 synth engines. That's quite a synth hub for a $500 roland. Sure it's not a Jordan Rudess rig but its alot of sound for a few lightweight pieces of gear.

FunMachine.

I used one usb output controller via a Midiplus usb midi host's usb input. I ran another controller with a din out into the din input of the midiplus. Then I selected the analog synth on the panel of the roland JD-Xi and played it via the on board minikeys. That is 2 controllers and 3 synth engines.
If I understand correctly the Midiplus can convert USB MIDI in and merge it with DIN MIDI in to a single DIN MIDI OUT? That's rather cool.

Cheers, Mike.

I used one usb output controller via a Midiplus usb midi host's usb input. I ran another controller with a din out into the din input of the midiplus. Then I selected the analog synth on the panel of the roland JD-Xi and played it via the on board minikeys. That is 2 controllers and 3 synth engines.
If I understand correctly the Midiplus can convert USB MIDI in and merge it with DIN MIDI in to a single DIN MIDI OUT? That's rather cool.

Cheers, Mike.

I believe you stated that correctly. It has a usb input to host a usb only keyboard AND it has a DIN in and out that work simultaneously with the usb. So 2 ins and one out. I'm getting another as a backup and so I can have 3 ins and 2 outs if I stack them. They are about $60 each.

Incedently I have discovered that the jd-xi has 2 digital synths that work at once in discrete midi channels (you know that) but each synth has 3 independent partials with their own complete filter set, adsr, osc's, amp ect. So with the editor I can build alot of layering in each user preset without a multichannel midi routine. That's alot of synth goodness in a minikey box.

FunMachine.

Are you looking to take this to play live? Or is it just messing around at home/in the studio? If live, I wonder if adding a doohickey to another doohickey starts to become awkward/cumbersome. For example, on some songs you want the layer, and not on others.

I believe Tom's suggestion of the Mio2 can't act as a USB host. If you're using two controllers with DIN 5-pin MIDI, then you're cool, and it's a good suggestion. Otherwise the MIO4 is a USB host (but perhaps overkill).

Another alternative to the Midiplus/MIDI Solutions combo is the Sipario router - that has USB host, split/layer, set-list functionality and is a useful tool for playing live. But not exactly an impulse buy.

Cheers, Mike.

Yes live. Like anything the more prep at home makes a smoother gig. Making wire harnesses withe tiewraps and labeling tags should make the setup quick. My big concern is if I can't cook up a usable organ sound with the roland pcm's. I've never been a fan of roland organ sounds.

FunMachine.