Music Player Network

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Any Theories Why There Haven't Been New Musical Genres? [Re: Anderton] #3016477 11/17/19 06:36 PM
Anderton Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by J. Dead
...but is still not a genre, it's a demographic.

That's a really interesting point - the overlap between a demographic and an associated genre. Like when I think of punk, I think disaffected younger people in population centers. For "new age," I think middle-aged white people. Granted, those are stereotypes, but they're probably not all that far off. Even the name "urban" sounds more like a demographic than a musical style.

Maybe the classical music people have it right by classifying a lot of music based on the period, like baroque, renaissance, etc. We could have periods too - like the "acoustic guitar" period (folk music), the "people taking drugs" period for the 60s, and "the synthesizer period" for the 80s smile

I have sort of a love/hate relationship with genre identification - I've posted many threads on the KC over the years asking how people would classify certain specific types of music. Usually the reason why I do it is because it makes it easier to identify similar music that I have not discovered if you can put a label on it. That said, generally I think labels suck and some are just really stupid.

Well said. Genres are indeed useful for broad strokes with well-defined genres - like if someone says they play classical music or hard-core techno, you have an idea of the lay of the land. But labels can also set up expectations that are not accurate. Several people asked me what genre my Joie de Vivre project was, and I said it was "EDM meets rock." The people into EDM said it was too much like rock, and the rock people said it was too EDM for them. The people who liked both genres liked it. But if I hadn't set people up with those two genres as a means of comparison, maybe the EDM and rock people would have not know what to expect, and drawn their own conclusions.

Re: Any Theories Why There Haven't Been New Musical Genres? [Re: Anderton] #3018010 12/01/19 02:55 AM
Mighty Motif Max Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
Good discussion. I've been thinking about this myself lately. Funny thing is, I'm can't really think of a "unique", new genre/style that doesn't exist somewhere, somehow. Microtonal stuff and time signatures are taken care of in Eastern Europe and the Middle East. FWIW I'm a huge fan of Balkan folk music. There's a lot there that's been largely ignored by the western world.

Thinking we do need some new instrument types to spawn new genres. But what? And it would have to become popular enough over time too...

Yamaha: Motif XF8/YS200/CVP-305/CLP-130/YPG-235/PSR-295/PSS-470
Korg: Krome 61
Roland: JV-1000
Casio: CT-370
Kimball Valencia/Broadway/Conn 465 w/144 spkrs/WCOC Reed Organ/Titano Virtuoso Converter
Re: Any Theories Why There Haven't Been New Musical Genres? [Re: Mighty Motif Max] #3018044 12/01/19 04:28 PM
Anderton Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Mighty Motif Max
Good discussion. I've been thinking about this myself lately. Funny thing is, I'm can't really think of a "unique", new genre/style that doesn't exist somewhere, somehow. Microtonal stuff and time signatures are taken care of in Eastern Europe and the Middle East. FWIW I'm a huge fan of Balkan folk music. There's a lot there that's been largely ignored by the western world.

I agree, there are a lot of styles out in the world that haven't gotten traction elsewhere. Paul Simon's Graceland wasn't a "new" genre, but like they said in the old commercials for NBC..."If you haven't seen it before, it's new to you."

Thinking we do need some new instrument types to spawn new genres. But what? And it would have to become popular enough over time too...

I think that happened with rap (using turntables as musical instruments), and a lot of EDM just wouldn't sound right on kazoos and ukuleles smile I'd like to see a controller like the LinnStrument get traction. It might not create a new genre by itself, but it can certainly extend the electronic genre into more expressive realms. Ditto the ROLI keyboard and a few other alternate controllers .

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Anderton