Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gear introduced decades ago still in production

Bought my JBL Control-5s for studio monitors back in 1990. Other than re-cone (the surround foam rots with age) they have been great. Still use them.

A quick search shows they are still in production! That's almost 30 years!

I'm hard pressed to think of other gear that has been in production for that long.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Roland HandSonic drum! It stayed available in its original form until they updated it a few years back and (unfortunately, IMO) lost the side controller strips. It clearly hit a WIN, especially if you weren't a candidate for a full kit. The current model has a SuperNATURAL engine and accepts user WAVs, so its persistence in the market has paid off with a really advanced instrument.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

We may want to carve out effects pedals and tube amps -- crybaby wah, Fender Twin, etc. have been in production forever... and I don't think that was exactly what you were looking for in this thread

What he said, first thing that came to my mind was the Fender Telecaster - in production since 1950 or so. The P-bass since 1952 or 3.

I don't know much about drums but it doesn't seem like there have been many changes there. Or trumpets.

EMG has been making some of their pickups since the early 80's, DiMarzio longer than that.

It's a LONG list!!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Ludwig drums. Banjo. Wood clave. A rock.
exactly. pianos. guitars. saxophones. wooden flutes. bone flutes. reeds. horns. conch shells. drums. logs. sticks. stones.

I think what the topic refers to is electronic gear. Still, for electric gear we have electric guitars, Hammond organs, Leslie speakers, speakers in general, amps. microphones, Rhodes and Wurlitzer pianos, theremin, etc.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Ultimate Support Apex stand

Yamaha C2, Yamaha MODX7, Hammond SK1, Hammond XK-5 Heritage Pro System, Korg Kronos 2 61, Yamaha CP4, Kurzweil PC4-7, Nord Stage 3 73, Nord Wave 2, QSC 8.2, Motion Sound KP 210S,  Key Largo, etc…yeah I have too much…

Alesis SR-16 Drum Machine. Bought mine when they were released in 1990 and still have it. Still being produced and sold 29 years later.

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

Not thát long, but Korgs SV-1 has been with us for 10 years and is still produced.

And the MicroKorg - released around 2002. Long product runs is something that sets Korg apart from other keys manufacturers. Once they are tooled up for production they keep knocking them out. Might change the colour but that's probably it.

Sony MDR-7506 headphones. 1991

Coming up on 29 years.

And the AKG K240 headphones were introduced back in 1975 and still in production today. Nearly 45 years!

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry