Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Semi OT: Free Hammond M3

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter lives in DC and works in Tysons Corner. If I'm being honest, I just don't really want it. My gear accumulation days are behind me.

Curious that he suggests breaking it down into parts for the crime of 'one sticky key contact', whatever that actually means.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

If that diagnosis is correct, the suggestion is right on the money.

Working inside the manuals of any Hammond is an arduous task. M/M2/M3 organs even more so.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I had to fix a cipher on a console once. The symptom is that one of the key contacts sounds all the time. Somebody had bounced a baseball off the key and one of the contacts inside the key stack had been jammed underneath a bus bar.

I was able to fix it without removing the manuals, believe it or not. I managed to get the key stack cover off by raising the front of the manuals and undoing all the screws. From there, the backs of all the contacts are exposed. I located the offending contact and squeezed the split end together to unclip it from its mounting tab. Then I just eased it back about a quarter inch until the front end of the contact popped back up, and reassembled everything.

Moe

---

I'm so thankful that I'm not "there" when it comes to collecting old KB gear. Modern facsimiles are good enough. :D

I've got the space to house it and nobody around to tell me "no" and/or make funny faces every time gear shows up. :laugh:

Otherwise, if I was in the mood to collect, I would have Rhodes, Hammond, Wurli and clav. :laugh:

Thanks OP for giving that M3 a new home. Good luck explaining it. :):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Rain delay.

It almost happened today but the donor, even though she is giving away the M3, still cares about it enough that she won"t allow it to be moved in the threat of rain.

And, she knows her Hammonds well. A new phenom for me as I"ve never met a woman

that knew anything about the different models of Hammond organs.

I picked it up yesterday.

It"s in great shape cosmetically and is bone stock. Cute ancient wood paneling back cover removed to reveal the 12' speaker in a pillowcase along with a bindered shop manual. I gigged with a blond M3 in my teens and this sure brings back memories.

Pretty pics soon come. (Deadlifted into the back of a pickup truck, straight into my garage...no steps at all.)

EZ-PZ except for major argument with wife which I somehow survived.

(Pretty brutal...she called me Fred Sanford.)

(Also need to give it a good Leslie treatment. Probably the pair of horn modded 120"s...or the super Frankenstein 825/122, or maybe the 31h...or even better...the 900 down the street. I am Fred.)

Nice! You got a reverb speaker and like an AO-35. That's not 100% "all stock", that was a dealer upgrade to help the old-stock organs compete with the new M100s.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800