Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Domi

[video:youtube]

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was excited that this was a thread about Tie Domi. He and Probert used to like to box.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I know her personnaly, she did the Paris Conservatory with me and then had the presidencial thing at Berkeley.

After that was a big boom for her :)

A very interesting pianist (she comes from classical), she didn't go to school as her parents decided to do the 'home school', I don't know how to say that in English.

She is a good example of music and social succeed, makes me think if that way of educate my children ;)

Nord Electro 6D / Prophet Rev2/ Digitakt / Minilogue / Keyscape -

New video :

She's great, but why did we watch a video of her playing a transcription?

And now we have Miss Domi

The YouTube heir to Hiromi?

A thousand videos shall be made

that someone's sure to show me

But seriously, I look forward to hearing more, and more interesting, stuff from her.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Surprised this one hasn"t appeared yet -

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

She definitely has some monster chops. Here is a 47:44 minute video. It's not my cup of tea, I prefer something more structured. But she has vastly superior chops then anything I could pull off. But a gave up listening about half way in.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgBUIJxwspU

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I think she's going to be a star.

What software is that at 14:50 ?

What's in her rig?

I see other videos where she is playing a M-Audio 49 key controller and a Mac.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

â[â¦] she didn't go to school as her parents decided to do the 'home school', I don't know how to say that in English.'

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education" (Mark Twain)

I like the idea of homeschooling. Pity it's forbidden by law in my country of residence....

Yamaha C3 | CP4 | CK88 | P-121 | Sauter 108 Studio | Schimmel 112 |

Interesting that almost all the comparisons so far are to Hiromi. It"s like she can only be compared to another female pianist. Sort of like how, for a long time, black quarterbacks could only be compared to other black quarterbacks, or all white basketball players had to be compared to Larry Bird.

Domi is one of that most amazing musicians I"ve seen in a long time. She isn"t a YouTube musician. She"s touring all over with some of the most happening bands in the business (Louis Cole, Ghost Note, etc.).

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

Interesting that almost all the comparisons so far are to Hiromi. It"s like she can only be compared to another female pianist. Sort of like how, for a long time, black quarterbacks could only be compared to other black quarterbacks, or all white basketball players had to be compared to Larry Bird.

In this thread at least, the comparison only has to do with the expectation that we're going to see lots of Domi threads going forward, just as we've seen lots of Hiromi threads. Does the interest in these artists have anything to do with them being women? That's a question to the people who are starting the threads.

Will Domi get more attention than equally talented 19 year old males just because she's a woman and easy on the eyes? I'd like to think the answer is no, but I suspect it's a factor.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Interesting that almost all the comparisons so far are to Hiromi. It"s like she can only be compared to another female pianist.

Are you being a little tough there, Mitch? Only two comparisons to Hiromi I could discern, one of which was an apparently tongue-in-cheek riff on the undeniable similarity of their names.

Comments (in the main) positive and videos highlighting amazing playing, including the also brilliant and aforementioned Louis Cole.

Majority of posters, as I interpret it, are comparing her to male players (themselves, Eldar, Conte) and with one exception, favourably.

FWIW I reckon she"s great. Happy to add my own comparison. I"m not fit to hand her a glass of water, hehe!

Domi is one of that most amazing musicians I"ve seen in a long time. She isn"t a YouTube musician. She"s touring all over with some of the most happening bands in the business (Louis Cole, Ghost Note, etc.).

Mitch, as a fellow Iowa grad, you are missing the larger question. Why is she wearing a Hawkeye jersey? Fess up.. are you two dating? :)

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Mitch, as a fellow Iowa grad, you are missing the larger question. Why is she wearing a Hawkeye jersey? Fess up.. are you two dating? :)

Ha ha!!!

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

I guess Domi reminds me of technical marvels like Louis Cole, Collier, Cory Henry whom all remind me of Hancock and Corea when soloing... not so much the Japanese lady, to which Domi and her laptop have no physical resemblance :)

Is there a source for cool backing tracks like these jazz fusion folks are using now days. I dread having to make that stuff up from scratch.

I guess Domi reminds me of technical marvels like Louis Cole, Collier, Cory Henry whom all remind me of Hancock and Corea when soloing... not so much the Japanese lady, to which Domi and her laptop have no physical resemblance :)

You forgot Nick Semrad he was the 2nd keyboardist with Cory Henry has moved to L.A. and part of the scene with Louis Cole, Mono Neon, and others. Domi is becoming part of that group of musicians with Nick, Louis, Mono, and others. Here's Domi playing one of Nick's solo from when he was with Cory Henry.

Domi is a great player but she is not my cup of tea either , have any of you heard of Sangah Noona , she plays and sometimes sings on youtube ,she plays piano at a club in DC I think. She plays by ear and is very articulate and soulful , I would drag a video over here if I knew how , but you can check her out ,she is more my cup of tea .

Domi is a great player but she is not my cup of tea either , have any of you heard of Sangah Noona , she plays and sometimes sings on youtube ,she plays piano at a club in DC I think. She plays by ear and is very articulate and soulful , I would drag a video over here if I knew how , but you can check her out ,she is more my cup of tea .

Trying to compare them is an Apple and Oranges comparison. Sangah Noona not in the same league from what I saw on YT she's a good Pop, Lounge singer, with good accompanant skills. Domi is way beyond all that as a musician and playing with musicians from the cutting edge of music today.

• 4 weeks later...