Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gig bag favorites

What"s your favorite for a gig bag? Ive just been using an old spare (school type) backpack, never got motivated to buy a special purpose gig bag. its ok but ... meh. A couple small front pockets but otherwise it"s really just the typical one big pocket with everything just stacked on top of each other. Doesn"t open up wide enough to get to all things and of course stuff is just stacked atop, so i try to think about order of setup need and pack in reverse order.

I prefer backpack straps (hands free) if I have a travel gig that requires TSA rolling case. Most local gigs i carry a backpack kbd bag so a backpack gig back is carried by hand anyway. Maybe an upper line photographer backpack might be the ticket for me? I carry the typical unless I strip down and leave some stuff at home:

- two stereo 1/4' instrument cables (10", 25")

- two mono 1/4' instrument cables 25"

- a few short mono 1/4' cables, for pedals or short runs 6"

- 10" multi-plug extension cord

- one or two stereo DI

- sustain pedal

- latching switch pedal

- small zipper pouch with 2 wall warts, and small mp3->1/4' cord

- USB flexible 'desk' light

- roll of gaff tape

- misc small stuff (USB flash sticks, batteries, ear plugs, that sort of stuff)

- small Vornado (?) fan

- rockstar sunglasses :) lol

Another topic. My stand bag for Ultimate Apex AX-48 is wearing holes from the sharp bits at both ends of the stand. Still ok but as many have noted, these have a finite use life due to inadequate strength vs cyclic stress the stand imposes. Alternate Bags that work/fit well?

Another nother - MOX7 gig bag - i"ll Take that over to the MODX thread

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one made by Odyssey that I've used for many years in various bands carrying various things. Backpack style and I carry way more than what you listed. I think right now it has around 10 1/4" cords of varying length, a small Behringer line mixer with wall wart, a lime6 Pod with lime lump power supply, 3 MIDI cables, 2 sustain pedals, an FC-7 swell pedal, power strip, vocal mic, IEM's, USB gooseneck lamp, misc adaptors, 9V and AA batteries, a Radial ProD2 DID, a Rolls DI, some cereal/granola bars, and a roll of gaff tape. That's 1 large internal compartment, 1 outside compartment with a sub-compartment, and 2 external side compartments. Weighs a ton, which is a testament to its durability after probably two decades of heavy use.

I've never used a bag for my Apex stand. To me the appeal is that it folds into itself and has a carrying handle and I don't have to mess with a bag.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

This is my system:

Nord soft case â multiple patch cords (the two main ones are velcro'ed together, with some tape to distinguish left/right, plus a couple of spares); 3 XLR cables (left/right + mic); power, expression pedal, sustain pedal, towel.

Novation soft case â stereo 1/4" cable, sustain pedal, towel

Eagle Creek Convertabrief â laptop, Ultimate Support laptop stand, power bar, Key Largo, SM58, multiple USB cables, MIDI cables, laptop power, Key Largo power, in-ears, other miscellany. The Convertabrief wasn't cheap but it has a lifetime guarantee and fits all that stuff in it. Pretty amazing bag.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

I've posted this in a prior thread, but I really like cable bags for stuff like this. The one I have doesn't seem to be available anymore, but there are others out there.

I have a similar bag and really like it - Phitz medium cable bag

One of the zipper pulls fell off at some point but other than that it's been great. It's way more efficient for organizing and retrieving cables and pedals, keeps things way neater than just dumping everything into a duffel bag like I used to do. Definitely a worthwhile purchase IMO.

It seems that since I posted this, the bag is no longer in stock on Amazon (or anywhere, for that matter)

I took a picture of mine just to give an idea of what you can fit in it

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/rpantale/pics/phitzmediumbag.png

Dimensions of the bag are 20 x 10 x 9 inches. This bag from Cable File (previously mentioned in this thread) is about the same size. Phitz also has the Stage Duffel, which is a nice bag but ended up being too small for me (I actually bought it first but returned it for the medium bag)

I use this case, which I picked up somewhere ... evidently it's made for (and used by) accountants. Basically a box with two flaps on top that lie over each other, with handle poking through. Cords, pedals, wall warts, even a small mixer -- all goes in the box, in order. Packing takes a little thought to get things oriented, but it's an easy one-hand carry

301.thumb.jpg.be0819add336a5534d5792550e4800c4.jpg

It's not the gear, it's the player ... but hey, look -- new gear!

I"ve got the big CablePhyle bag and am totally happy with it. It appears to still be available here:

Cable Phyle Large Bag

As long as you lube the zippers with Chapstick once in a while you"ll get a lot of use out of it.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

This one worked out pretty good for me. No zippers to go bad, easy access to your stuff, makes pack up quick and easy. I upgraded to one that had the nicer string handle.

121806427-new-york-june-13-2017-brown-paper-bag-from-trader-joe-s-grocery-store-stands-against-black-backgroun.jpg

Lol. One time I played an LA gig (I"m San Diego), I offered our lead guitarist to go with me if she drove home (so I could snooze - not predicting how !@#$ wired and chatty she would be after a gig on the strip).

I meet her at a parking lot off the freeway so she can load up in my car and she showed up in her lil Toyota with crap spilling out of each and every car opening. Two guitars, a broken carryon suitcase of stage clothes with one good wheel and one bad zipper, a pedalboard effects sim rig (she runs direct XLR straight to FOH, no amp - which is actually cool and sounds great) stuffed in a cloth beach bag, and 3 grocery bags of miscellaneous cables, power supplies, accessories and other shit. The shopping bags at least were plastic so they didn"t tear apart, but they had all tipped and spilled out all over her car, so she had to repack them just to transfer to my car. the only thing missing was a stolen shopping cart for her to push all her crap around in.

I just looked her and said 'you gotta be shitting me?'. Took her 4 trips to load in once we got there. I walked in first trip with my keys on my back, stand in one hand, and tote bag with all accessories and stage clothes in the under. I flipped her my keys so she could work through her issues without me staring and laughing. So no - I can confidently say this does not work pretty good :)

She has since upgraded her travel rigging ... one new medium rolling suitcase that holds all of her crap except guitars, and a proper pedal board case. I gave her a hug.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Being and old roadie and guitarist I fiberboard cases so I have for most the small stuff, cables, etc a fiberboard case for a set of bongos. the top lid is same size as bottom extra bit bigger to slip over the bottom and canvas strap. The top being as big if I need to pack a little extra it can handle it. Then for when I have a lot of cables then fiberboard drums cases. The come in lots of sizes and being round wound up cords just drop in. One local band had a lot of PA gear so a floor tom case handled the big extension cords and speaker cables. Then the old style fiberboard snare and stand case that usually had wheels on the bottom. The snare area can fit large items or even a small amp, the side long items, and then the top tray all the small stuff and small cables.

Being all this is drummer cases they are easy to find, lots of sizes, and many times find deals on used cases.

My bag consists of a voltage regulator, two mixers, power cords, various 1/4" instrument cables, ventilator, Voce V5+, gemini module, voce midi drawbar unit, expression pedal, a couple of sustain pedals, microphones and XLR cables. Total weight is about 50 pounds. I keep the Gemini, Voce units, Ventilator, and mixers in boxes for protection, which contributes to my excessive setup/breakdown time. Yet I prefer this to a rack which I find to be inconvenient in many places that I play. My gig bag weighs about 50 pounds and I use one similar to this:

link

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

This is my system:

Nord soft case â multiple patch cords (the two main ones are velcro'ed together, with some tape to distinguish left/right, plus a couple of spares); 3 XLR cables (left/right + mic); power, expression pedal, sustain pedal, towel.

Novation soft case â stereo 1/4" cable, sustain pedal, towel

Eagle Creek Convertabrief â laptop, Ultimate Support laptop stand, power bar, Key Largo, SM58, multiple USB cables, MIDI cables, laptop power, Key Largo power, in-ears, other miscellany. The Convertabrief wasn't cheap but it has a lifetime guarantee and fits all that stuff in it. Pretty amazing bag.

Man, that is a badass bag!

In another lifetime, I left a group, and I was replaced by another keyboard player. After a while, I asked the guitarist in the band about how the new one was doing, and he said... "He's very good, but his appearance is terrible. He comes to gigs carrying a Kurzweil K1000 in its shipping box, and dragging a keyboard stand and a supermarket plastic bag with all his cables."

Hey, it worked for him. :D

I"ve tried a few things.

Got a 'foreign legion bag' (as I call it, it's a big canvas duffle. Stopped using it because it was completely shapeless.

Got a big roomy "tactical" backpack from amazon, this works but it's got so many pockets and areas that it can be confusing where your stuff is! plus unless I'm using it as an actual backpack there's not a lot of plusses over my current:

Rubbermaid 10 gallon tub(s). I have one for stuff I know I'll need and one for backup cables and gear. The big thing is that these stack, and are waterproof, so I have a long cart haul (not that often really) these make it very easy to load the cart.

I actually find it humorous that everyone buys matte black cases and bags--these can be REALLY hard to see on dim stages when you are trying to pack up :D Granted, if you are trying to stow stuff around the stage (usually I take my cases back out to the car if there isn't a space provided) then sure you'd want matte black....I have the same argument with my wife over luggage, she prefers "same as half the flight black" while I'd prefer orange and green paisley or something that actually stands out. Who gives a crap what you look like toting luggage, geez.

In another lifetime, I left a group, and I was replaced by another keyboard player. After a while, I asked the guitarist in the band about how the new one was doing, and he said... "He's very good, but his appearance is terrible. He comes to gigs carrying a Kurzweil K1000 in its shipping box, and dragging a keyboard stand and a supermarket plastic bag with all his cables."

Hey, it worked for him. :D

Actually that Kurzweil K1000 shipping box was a beaut. I used one for years back in the 90s - it fit nicely in my hatchback, and it was real easy to maneuver the keyboard into the styrofoam end pieces. I would just leave the box in the car and carry the K1000 into the gig.

Kurzweil PC4, Expressive E Osmose, UNO Synth Pro, Hammond B-3X on iPad, Rhodes Mark II Stage 73, ART 710-A MK4s

I use an Accordion Back Pack Gig Bag for a wedge shaped Mixer, DeLuca.

Everything else goes in black and yellow DeWalt tool bags.

My other items get Amazon Basic LapTop Shoulder bags.

My ATA Shock Cases are dusty these days.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I keep a backup of every cable, every power supply, everything, in my car. I was using plastic bins but have switched to these Harbor Freight bags. Tough, and cheap.

61eJ5D4lPBL._AC_SX679_.jpg

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin