Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Teardrop guitar.

surfergirl

I remember seeing a picture of someone playing a Teardrop guitar and thinking they where the coolest thing ever. I found one for $280. at dhgate. Yes I know dhgate specializes in knock offs and I wouldn't buy a Fender or any name brand from them, but this would be more for looks and maybe I would play it for a song or two. I find them on EBay and sites I've never heard of before $500. and more, I'm pretty sure it's the same guitar.

At the time I saw that picture I didn't know it was Brian Jones playing the teardrop.

Jenny S.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The original Vox guitars from the 60s, including the teardrop, were terrible pieces of garbage. They have some vintage cachet, so a bit of value as nostalgia items, but still horrible guitars. Phantomguitars now have copyright to the designs (whether legally or not, I don't know) & they appear to be pretty nice Korean built instruments.

Brian Jones is the only person I've ever seen playing one on stage.

Scott Fraser

Expect it to be headstock heavy, an unbalanced design to put it mildly.

You could probably find some Squier or pointymetal Dean on craigslist for under $50.

All you need then is a bandsaw!!!! :- D

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Ian Curtis from Joy Division sometimes played a Vox Phantom, which I always thought was a cooler-looking design than the Vox Teardrop. I had a 70's MIJ copy of the Teardrop, and it was pretty bad. The Tremolo systems were absurdly primitive, a spoon handle and a big spring.

One thing to think about, these Guitars are a challenge to play sitting down, much like a Flying V; they'll keep trying to slide off of your leg, down to the floor.

Looking at that site, I'd be tempted by the Mando-Guitar. Vox briefly re-issued it in the 90's, and it was in the $1000 price range back then.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I'll stick with my Strat Clone my Parts Caster, and my Ibanez RG321. Easy to play sitting down or standing. The feel of the guitar against me is important, and the Strats and Ibanez work well for that & sound great.

If did buy one it would be more like a novelty. I was 8 or 9 when saw the picture of, with whom I now know was Brian Jones, it was when I was going from my mini Squier to my Squier and I was begging for a Teardrop because they looked so cool. Fortunately my Grandpa had already decided I was getting a Squier. I still use the Squier for a backup and with the new pickups sounds great. I won't be buying anything for a while. We have replace the money we took from our savings for the solar system we put in. I hadn't give the teardrop any thought for several years until I was looking at a video on how to spot a fake Fender. I went dhgate because there you can buy David Gilmour Signature Stratocaster for $238. If you buy 20+. That is when saw the teardrop and made me think about it again. But will probably not be buying one any time soon.

Jenny S.

+1 on WPS and DBM's hard to play sitting down much like the Flying V. Cool looks but I have never been interested in owning either of them...I could see having one for an artsy wall hanger though SG...

+1 on Danny's site for the $1,000 Phantom model if I ever do get interested...they look better built than the originals Scott was referring to back in the 60's...

I never cared much for the headstock Kuru, so that would be the 1st thing I would take a bandsaw to LOL!

:cool:

Take care, Larryz

Expect it to be headstock heavy, an unbalanced design to put it mildly.

You could probably find some Squier or pointymetal Dean on craigslist for under $50.

All you need then is a bandsaw!!!! :- D

If they're indeed off balance a better & less-permanent solution would be to find the best point & glue on a counterweight

d=halfnote