Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is Jack Conte (Scary Pockets) a good keyboard player?

As a tangent to the recent thread about Ben Folds appearing in a Scary Pockets re-arrangement of a Ben Folds tune, I'm curious as to takes on whether Jack Conte of Scary Pockets is a talented keyboard player. He is without a doubt a savvy entrepreneur, a great bandleader, and a tasteful musician. But I've watched a lot of videos of him playing keys (primarily Wurlitzer and Rhodes), and he always seems to be playing very simple/sparse piano parts. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he is playing parts that fit the song/arrangement/musical style. But I'm left with lingering curiosity as to whether his videos are the limits of his keys talent.

I know there are Scary Pocket fans here: what videos would you point to as Jack's "best" playing? Is there anything out there where Jack rips a fierce solo?

Again -- much respect to Jack for his many, MANY talents -- just wondering how deep his keys talent goes.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple is good and a great way to make money. Look at the musicians that get all the studio work and pro touring gigs they are known for being great accompanist first, can groove their ass off, and being a good soloist is just a fringe benefit. Music is an art not a sport, musicians who focus on playing the song, more than burning for a couple chorus are where it's at, Wynton Kelly great pianist who played with Miles Davis and many others would say he didn't care if he ever took a solo it was all about be a great accompanist. Or in the classical world a collaborative pianist.

I'm not too familiar with Scary Pockets, but I'm so over too many notes. Maybe its just me getting older, but I'm growing more fond of players who are laid back with a solid groove.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Technical ability, to my perception, has merely tangential relevance to the quality of musicianship.

(Obviously, this assertion is in part my own inferiority complex justifying my own lack of technique, but it aligns with my taste, for sure.)

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

We did a story on his duet Pomplamoose (he and wife Nataly) in Keyboard some years ago, written by Jim Aikin. My impression was that he's very musically sensitive about what will serve a particular remake of a song, and in my eyes that makes him a good musician. Can he rip a solo like Cory Henry? No idea, and not sure that it matters.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Technical ability, to my perception, has merely tangential relevance to the quality of musicianship.

(Obviously, this assertion is in part my own inferiority complex justifying my own lack of technique, but it aligns with my taste, for sure.)

This may be part of why I asked the question. I'm never going to play as well as Bill Payne or Herbie Hancock or [insert your favorite technical piano whiz]. But I think I can do justice to those Scary Pockets keyboard parts.

Good is always in the ear of the beholder.

Versatility, proficiency, virtuosity, etc. are different measuring sticks from 'good' which perhaps leans closer to, 'do you enjoy his creations' - which has more to do with composition than playing the keyboard. Great players are sometimes but not always great composers. Is less more? That"s a matter of taste and style. Perhaps the keyboard playing should be just right for the style or song. Neither more no less - but hitting just the right balance.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Is he able to capably play what he wants to express musically, with whatever precision or looseness he desires?

Yes? Then he is a good musician.

I agree with that. My curiosity about his piano skills remains, however. I mean, Axl Rose can manage November Rain and Tommy Lee can plunk out Home Sweet Home -- and I'll respect opinions they are good musicians, but I've never heard anyone claim they are good piano players.

I suppose I'm just wondering what kind of chops Jack has. I'm already jealous of his many talents; perhaps I'd be gratified to know he doesn't have giant chops, to confirm he is indeed mortal.