Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official MLB 2019 Thread

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It"s been a weird postseason, to say the least. And it only reconfirms to me that we need to eliminate the Wild Card and go to four divisions. The only reason we have a wild card is because there are only three. A Wild Card team should never win the World Series. They are there as postseason filler. They didn"t win their division.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

They didn"t win their division.

no, but they beat 2 teams that did to get to where they are now. MLB would have to add 2 expansion teams so that there could be 4 divisions with 4 teams each.

As a 30 team league, there is no other option.

I bet if the Atlanta Braves would have won the World Series in 2012 when they won a wild card you might have different thoughts. :)

:nopity:

As I see it, there are basically two schools of thought:

1) The champion is the team that performed the best over the regular season. When that idea prevailed, there was no need for playoffs. The team with the best record was awarded the title.

2) The team that performs the best in the postseason wins the title. Of course, you need to have one of the best regular season records to get to the postseason; but the regular season record only goes so far in determining the champion. In this case, I'm fine with a wild card team winning it all, if they can.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

The Nationals had a better regular season than the Cardinals, who "won" the NL Central Division. Having more divisions (with fewer teams in each one) is a way to make it more possible that a team with a truly mediocre record will squeak into the playoffs, by virtue of playing in a weak division. The NFL has 4 divisions in each conference, and there have been times that a team has "won" their division with an 8-8 record - and gotten home field advantage against a Wild Card team having a better record. I do like the fact that in baseball the two wild card teams have to potentially use up their best starting pitcher in the wild card game, which gives the winner of the wild card game a true disadvantage when they play the next round against one of the division winners.

Here's a little ditty that popped into my head:

So it's root, root, root for the home team

If they don't win ... well it's normal

For the away team wins all the games

In this year's World Series

Wow! This really is proving to be true. All the Nats need now is for this to continue for two more games...

Best,

Geoff

I can't help but make another comment on this, even though Rendon's home run seemed to have righted a wrong. Way back in the 1980s, Major League Baseball overturned the call of George Brett being out in the Pine Tar Game, and awarded him the home run. I believe they did this based on a judgement for the "good of the game", and I think it was the right call back then (even though I was a Yankees fan). If they did that back in the 1980s for a regular season game, someone in the MLB office could have done the same tonight in a World Series Game. I view the failure of MLB to correct this call while they had the chance, as a travesty.

I view the failure of MLB to correct this call while they had the chance, as a travesty.

Did you see the post game interview with Joe Torre? He should work here in the swamp. :facepalm:

"That's my story and I'm sticking to it."

Best part was immediately afterward when all of the Fox commentators called BS on it.

Agreed. I've been rooting for the Nats, but I'm especially glad they won tonight.

By the way (anyone who watched the game already heard this), tonight's sixth straight victory by the road team marked the first time in any major sport that this has happened in a championship series. In other words, this has never happened before in MLB, the NBA, nor the NHL. Remarkable!

Here's hoping for seven straight!

Best,

Geoff

They didn"t win their division.

no, but they beat 2 teams that did to get to where they are now. MLB would have to add 2 expansion teams so that there could be 4 divisions with 4 teams each.

As a 30 team league, there is no other option.

Adding one team to each league is easily doable. Even if, geographically, it pushes the Braves into a Central Division (or Southern!) I'd go along with that hit. I could see a team in maybe Jacksonville, or Nashville, or Las Vegas. Even Mexico City, if MLB goes ahead with their international ambitions.

I bet if the Atlanta Braves would have won the World Series in 2012 when they won a wild card you might have different thoughts. :)

Well...yeah...but...

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Congrats to Dave, ProfD, and the rest of our Washington D.C. (and Montreal) fans.

What a series! The Nats came from behind over and over again to win it all, beginning with the hole they dug during the beginning of the season, and continuing through tonight's final game.

Since we'll probably never see a seven game series in which the road team wins all of the games again, let's have a final reprise:

So it's root, root, root for the home team

If they don't win ... well it's normal

For the away team wins all the games

In this year's World Series

Best,

Geoff

A side bar- Is it just me but when these athletes are presented with a car for being named the series MVP, in any sport, isn't the least they could do is appear to be grateful and say thank you ? :idk:

If I try to put myself in Strasbourg's shoes, I kinda get it. I already have all the cars I need and could easily buy more. The whole thing is just a way associating my name with a sponsor and all I get out of it is a car I don't need.

I didn't catch that part of the proceedings, but I assume they gave him a climate-saving electric car. Am I right? (that's satire, folks)

Anyway, great series. Too bad I had to miss so much of it fleeing the fires in NorCal. But that's another story . . . we got home just as the Nats were sealing the deal, a happy ending for us for sure.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I didn't catch that part of the proceedings, but I assume they gave him a climate-saving electric car. Am I right? (that's satire, folks)

2020 Chevy Corvette

and yes, if you know Stephen's personality, that is so not him

want to respond to many of the points posted but just too tired emotionally and physically, so I'm going to quote Batty Svrluga of the Washington Post and leave this thread for a minute.

"Now that it's done, though, remember not just that they won but how they won. The 2019 Washington Nationals taught us all lessons --

about patience and belief, about faith and fortitude, about finding life where none seemed to exist.

They are champions because of all that, even if--right now or next month or next year--it's unfathomable they did it all."

May 23, 2019 19 wins and 31 losses

October 30, 2019 World Series Champions

unfnbelievable

• 2 weeks later...
Congrats to Dave, ProfD, and the rest of our Washington D.C. (and Montreal) fans.

Thanks brotha Geoff. :thu:

The Nats have joined the Capitals and Mystics as recent champs representing DC.

Now, if only the Redskins and Wizards could get their sh8t together. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"