Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are old Keyboard Magazines worth anything?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In a word, no, aside from the major stepping stones each issue represented for me personally. Anyone involved with Keyboard deserves a free Prophet-6 for their service. Trying to find a buyer for such esoterica as antique KBs is almost as weird as being keen on music magazines from the era when the Mu-Tron Bi-Phase was wild new tech. Its like collecting 78s R. Crumb-style. While EM certainly isn't like the half-inch thick issues of Keyboard from back when, I'm glad to see KB folded into it. I'm not at all put off by articles on guitar audio warpage or the current range of mics. I'm never sorry to have things on tap that are outside my usual keyboard nerdage. :hitt:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

• 2 months later...

One of my friends pointed this thread out to me, so I thought I pop in and say hello.

To say that I am a magazine collector would be a bit of an understatement, let"s just say that I have a 'significant' collection that hasn"t quite squeezed out the synths so far.

I have joined one project to see how many of these I can get on the Internet. You may have come across the http://www.muzines.co.uk/ website already, where I am a major contributor. One success we had last year was to get permission to host the collection of Polyphony magazine, which - with the help of the wider community - we managed to build a complete collection of very quickly.

I am interested in trying to do something similar for Keyboard and Electronic Musician. Critically, this is dependant on getting permission from the copyright holders as I believe copyright is important and should be respected. If we get permission though, we would look for donations or purchases of magazines to build the collection online. Perhaps it might only be the early years, like has been done for Sound on Sound magazine, but it would be great to even just have these available as they start to disappear from more public access. I have a few of these magazines already in my collection, but plan to hopefully get them all in time.

So if any of you folks are still looking to move some of your mags to new owners, count me as interested. I may appear to be on the wrong side of the Atlantic from first appearances, but that didn"t stop me completing my collection of Byte magazine thanks to a contact in America a few years ago with some large heavy boxes and a good shipper.

Regards

Mike