Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Echo in the Canyon Documentary

I did a search and didn't see where this has been discussed.

Saw a pretty good documentary on Netflix over the weekend called "Echo in the Canyon". It dives into the scene mid to late 60s in CA where folk was brought into the rock/pop scene as well as some interplay between US artists and the Beatles. Good interviews with artists from the time as well as a look at its influence on modern artists and some footage from a concert they did - folks like Beck and Fiona Apple, mostly hosted by Jake Dillon.

Trailer:

[video:youtube]

It's on Netflix right now.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw it in the theater a few months ago. Mostly liked it. The historical footage and TP were good. The modern day performances and dialogue among Dylan, Beck, etc. were superfluous. The Mamas and the Papas footage was priceless - their sound and harmonies were so rich.

Steve Coscia

I thought it was pretty good. I liked very much how they talked about dropping over to each other's houses and how the Byrds and the Beatles and the Beach Boys interacted and influenced each other. Weakest part was Jakob Dylan and the concert footage. Jakob doesn't have much of a voice. But the reminiscing about a particular place and time and creation of the music was interesting.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Also saw it in the theater. If I'm going to watch an infomercial for Jakob Dylan's covers album, it might as well have interviews with Tom Petty, David Crosby, and Ringo Starr! I thought the Michelle Phillips interviews were especially interesting, too; glad she was included.

I mostly agree about the contemporary performances not quite measuring up to the historical footage and interviews with the people who were there, but what a lineup -- Regina Spektor! Norah Jones! Fiona Apple! Was that Rami Jaffee on keys, or someone else? Either way, some cool Mellotron and other vintage instruments.

Two takeaways: I'm psyched to see the Cameron Crowe-produced David Crosby documentary, and man, do I miss Tom Petty.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Was that Rami Jaffee on keys, or someone else? Either way, some cool Mellotron and other vintage instruments.

I haven't seen this movie yet but Rami Jaffee does have a Mellotron on stage with Foo Fighters. (Not that anyone can hear it. :facepalm: )

:nopity:

I never heard of Jakob Dylan before, but what struck me is that he was singing some pretty joyful, uplifting stuff, and the others on stage seemed to having a good time, and he looked like he was presiding over a funeral.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

... some cool Mellotron and other vintage instruments. ... .
Was this the movie where I saw a Chamberlin?

I remain a bit baffled when anyone takes a real Mellotron out live. An M4000D or a Mac Mini + M-Tron Pro make better sense. However, having played a real one for a bit, I'd love it if people who lust after vintage gear could lay hands to more of it. There's a certain memorable edge to any of the originals, no question, but once you've experienced the crackles, clacks and weird wheezes, the modern surrogates start looking REALLY good. I was mildly horrified when I first played a 'tron and listened to it grinding away like an old washing machine. It skeered me for a minute! :eek::D

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

Also saw it in the theater. If I'm going to watch an infomercial for Jakob Dylan's covers album, it might as well have interviews with Tom Petty, David Crosby, and Ringo Starr! I thought the Michelle Phillips interviews were especially interesting, too; glad she was included.

I mostly agree about the contemporary performances not quite measuring up to the historical footage and interviews with the people who were there, but what a lineup -- Regina Spektor! Norah Jones! Fiona Apple! Was that Rami Jaffee on keys, or someone else? Either way, some cool Mellotron and other vintage instruments.

Two takeaways: I'm psyched to see the Cameron Crowe-produced David Crosby documentary, and man, do I miss Tom Petty.

This pretty much says my take, without the cynicism I would add to it.

And yes, my biggest takeaway is how endlessly I can watch Tom Petty talk about anything. It prompted a dip back into Running Down a Dream (the doc).

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I remain a bit baffled when anyone takes a real Mellotron out live.

If it's in a modern environment, it's could be the current digital version, whose back panel looks something like this,,,

M4000DMINI-Vit-bg.png

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Just watched this and thought it was pretty good. (BTW, Scott - Jakob is Bob's son and former singer for the Wallflowers- "One Headlight")

Old performances and vintage video were very cool to me.

Interesting that they cited Buffalo Springfield's (really Neil Young's) "Expecting To a Fly" as the anthem for the end of that era, and the end of Buffalo Springfield, of course.

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

I never heard of Jakob Dylan before, but what struck me is that he was singing some pretty joyful, uplifting stuff, and the others on stage seemed to having a good time, and he looked like he was presiding over a funeral.
That pretty well summarizes my take on him too.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I remain a bit baffled when anyone takes a real Mellotron out live.

If it's in a modern environment, it's could be the current digital version, whose back panel looks something like this,,,

M4000DMINI-Vit-bg.png

I know there were slightly different rigs in the studio footage and the concert footage, too, so I forget what I saw where. I think there was some combo organ action too. As much as I'm willing to haul vintage gear around, I've heard too many Mellotron horror stories to ever want to do that... but getting to at least check out the real thing would be cool. One of the studios near me has a Chamberlin, but that's the closest I've gotten.

And yes, my biggest takeaway is how endlessly I can watch Tom Petty talk about anything. It prompted a dip back into Running Down a Dream (the doc).

It's so true. I love that doc; just rewatched it myself. I think my favorite moment is the rehearsal footage when Benmont yells at the band to "play your ^&%*ing guitars! We're in the rock and roll hall of bloody fame!"

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I will have to check it out. I always wonder why this was such a closed bunch of musicians. I wonder what other musicians thought of that scene that were around at the time?

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com