Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

3 Most Underrated of All Time?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[font:Century Gothic]OK, let's go...

1) Badi Assad. Give her a nylon-string guitar and a vocal mic, and she's the best Brazilian trio you've ever heard.

2) Elliot Easton. His solo on The Cars' "It's All I Can Do" means more to me than the combined careers of Clapton, Beck and Hendrix.

3) Carlos Alomar. The absolute king of rhythm.[/font]

2) Elliot Easton. His solo on The Cars' "It's All I Can Do" means more to me than the combined careers of Clapton, Beck and Hendrix.

Seriously?

"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

Seriously?

Dead serious. Most of that '60s classic rock most people here worship, I have no use for whatsoever. With the exceptions of the Beatles and Zep, I was pretty much a soul/RnB/Funk kid until punk rock started.[/font]

Seriously?

Dead serious. Most of that '60s classic rock most people here worship, I have no use for whatsoever. With the exceptions of the Beatles and Zep, I was pretty much a soul/RnB/Funk kid until punk rock started.[/font]

You sound a bit self entitled to me. To sum up the 60s music scene with the Beatles and Led Zep is extraordinarily amusing.

"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

Seriously?

You sound a bit self entitled to me. To sum up the 60s music scene with the Beatles and Led Zep is extraordinarily amusing.

Being from the Detroit area, I was a Motown kid. I still am a Motown (and Stax) man, to a degree. Kinda curious why you don't consider soul and RnB as part of "the '60s music scene."

@ Hugo, I love the Mowtown, RnB and Soul music from back in the 60's and danced to it every weekend back then. I don't care for Punk or Funk. As Danny said " it's a matter of tastes". The age demographic of what a lot of us here worship is probably why we consider Clapton, Beck and Jimi as our 60's icons. I don't think those 3 were/are underrated...I prefer Clapton over those other two dudes LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

The age demographic of what a lot of us here worship is probably why we consider Clapton, Beck and Jimi as our 60's icons. I don't think those 3 were/are underrated...I prefer Clapton over those other two dudes LOL! :cool:

Yeah I like all three Larryz, at first Clapton was my favorite, then later on Jimi was my favorite, and even later on Beckola took the lead in my personal taste category, and still holds a slight lead over Clapton, both are still alive. The only reason Clapton fell outta the top spot in my humble opinion is; he ain't with the Cream anymore, and that for me was the best of his efforts, maybe not in his mind, but he was God back then, later on he became mortal again, and his music became a lot less full of fire, technically better maybe but not quite up to what he did on Wheels Of Fire. Of course Bruce and Baker did a lot of trying to outdo each other, and that tension probably added a big bunch of fire to Eric's playing. Because when the musicians you are with are great, a player who associate with great players always excels because the others are inspirational, and the muse takes over and great stuff ensues.

Marcus King

And my fellow Filipina,

OT; but here goes anyways. You are a Filipina surfergirl? My eldest son is married to a Filipina doctor who still lives in the Philippines, and he lives in New Jersey, both commute back and forth several times a year for a month or 6 weeks each, and then back home they go. My kiddo wants to live over there, but has to wait about 7 years so he can collect his full social security, which because of the money he has earned and paid taxes on is huge. She would live in the USA but she tried to be certified as a Doctor and could not pass the certification and get a residency in the USA for some reason. And she wants to practice medicine so she moved back to The Philippines after living in New Jersey for years with him.

Marcus King

Brittany Howard

And my fellow Filipina, June Millington

Brittany Howard is a really good guitarist, but I think she"s a better vocalist, relatively speaking. Very powerful & emotive.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

The age demographic of what a lot of us here worship is probably why we consider Clapton, Beck and Jimi as our 60's icons. I don't think those 3 were/are underrated...I prefer Clapton over those other two dudes LOL! :cool:

Yeah I like all three Larryz, at first Clapton was my favorite, then later on Jimi was my favorite, and even later on Beckola took the lead in my personal taste category, and still holds a slight lead over Clapton, both are still alive. The only reason Clapton fell outta the top spot in my humble opinion is; he ain't with the Cream anymore, and that for me was the best of his efforts, maybe not in his mind, but he was God back then, later on he became mortal again, and his music became a lot less full of fire, technically better maybe but not quite up to what he did on Wheels Of Fire. Of course Bruce and Baker did a lot of trying to outdo each other, and that tension probably added a big bunch of fire to Eric's playing. Because when the musicians you are with are great, a player who associate with great players always excels because the others are inspirational, and the muse takes over and great stuff ensues.

I like Clapton's vocals along with his guitar playing...I like his blues and his clean playing. I think he has improved over the years. I share your memories of his time with Cream and his harmony with Bruce. All 3 will always be high on my list [no pun intended]. Funny this subject should come up on the forum just at the time of Ginger's passing.

+1 on playing with musicians that are better than I am and learning from them. I won't stay in a band full of tension though, even if it means sacrificing that particular concept. I have better ways to spend my time than dealing with those that are always up for an argument. If it ain't fun, I have other things to do with my time. I like to get along and I like a democracy. Otherwise, I like to play solo LOL!

:cool:

Take care, Larryz

+1 on playing with musicians that are better than I am and learning from them. I won't stay in a band full of tension though, even if it means sacrificing that particular concept. I have better ways to spend my time than dealing with those that are always up for an argument. If it ain't fun, I have other things to do with my time. I like to get along and I like a democracy. Otherwise, I like to play solo LOL!

Other than a few bands that I was in back in the day, I always play solo myself. I learned a long time ago that once I created a backing track, that-that BT always shows up on time, it does what I ask it to do without any bitchin or arguments, and it is always in tune and on time. However that said, I surely liked playing with inspiring musicians, I just could never find others who were not argumentative or bossy. I tried to insert some of my originals in the set lists, but no one ever wanted to take the time to learn them. So I opted for machines (recording computers and play back machines) as my band mates, not quite inspiring but like I said above the machines are always in tune and on time.

@ DBM, I hear you Amigo! I have one more gig with my old band mates and after that, I'm going to be a hang around the teepee kind of guy. I hope to increase my learning curve and maybe write some original stuff. I may still play a few solo open mics and get together at parties with my musical buds. I may find a local guy that wants to do a duo some day, but no more bands for me... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

• 2 weeks later...

Heaven only knows I should NOT be jumping into this-it's Halloween party weekend in these parts, I have a ton of stuff to do.

But I can't resist-no time to post videos, sorry.

#1 John Tropea. Check out his work on Deodato's epic 'Also Sprach Zarathustra'.

#2 James Vincent-in fact, screw it-I'm posting a video. Keep in mind how long ago this was:

#3 Johnny Marr-longtime critical favorite but, way under the public radar. The closest he came to

commercial success was with the band Suede.

+1 Jan Akkerman

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

@ DBM, I hear you Amigo! I have one more gig with my old band mates and after that, I'm going to be a hang around the teepee kind of guy. I hope to increase my learning curve and maybe write some original stuff. I may still play a few solo open mics and get together at parties with my musical buds. I may find a local guy that wants to do a duo some day, but no more bands for me... :cool:
Next time I come north, I will be sure to stop by and we can jam a bit and I will do a set or two for the house and friends. (There might be a little seafood (clams) in my presentation, but y'all can forgive me that, because of my advanced age). :rawk::idk::cheers:

Sounds like fun DBM! Right now we have so many fires and power shut downs it would be hard to know which way the wind blows. But when things calm down we can revisit the visit! :thu:
You can be sure I won't be visiting during fire season at that time. I was up there for one fire about 3 or 4 years back. I stood on top of the mountain where my in laws live and watched the fire near Clear lake Ca. coming at us. Fortunately the wind shifted and it went another way. I was planning my escape routes for the first few days we were there. In fact as soon as I got there they shut down Hy 20 just after I passed it which is how I get from the I-5 into Clear Lake area. Of course I could have run to Calistoga and on down that a way, or up towards Ukiah and on up to 36 towards Red Bluff. Or down to Santa Rosa on the 101. I lived up in the Weaverville area, and Hayfork/Hyampom areas on/near 299, so I know my way around the north of Ca west of the I-5. But I would rather avoid the fires altogether.

I remember you telling us about that visit DBM, Glad you made it out of that area safe and sound while things were burning all around you! We have a biggie going out of control up in Sonoma as we speak...up wine country again! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I remember you telling us about that visit DBM, Glad you made it out of that area safe and sound while things were burning all around you! We have a biggie going out of control up in Sonoma as we speak...up wine country again! :cool:

The fire never got near us that time, the next year however, only 5 of the 36 houses on the street made it through that fire, the rest burned to the ground. My in laws house was only minimally damaged, a little scorched and a melted window frame or 2. I hope all goes well for y'all in that area. Sonoma looks like it is quite a distance away from you, so I hope it states west of you for the duration.

For me-

1. Jeff Healey

2. Steve Morris

3. Pat Travers

RE Pat Travers-the live collection 'Go For What You Know' is an all time fave of mine-but I

think a lot of the guitar pyrotechnics on that is by Pat Thrall, who should be on this list.

Love his playing on the classic 'Go' collection.

[video:youtube]

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

@ DBM, OT: the fire is pretty far northwest of us. The power companies keep shutting our power off every time the wind blows so I got myself a generator, sitting here in the dark and I'll fire it up at 8am (being nice to the neighbors). We also get a lot of smoke from fires closer to our location. One of my friends (since '72) was in the Paradise fire this last year and lost everything but himself and his dog. He escaped on foot and abandoned his truck as the roads were blocked and he made it out by the skin of his teeth. He lost 3 of his best guitars that he could not be replaced, as they don't make those models he had anymore...but, he's glad to be alive and so are we. Glad to hear your in-laws home made it out of their last fire. :cool:

@ Skip, back on topic...love that Go collection. I also have loved Steve Winwood's (vocals, guitar and organ) music for many years! Here's Stevie with his buds:

[video:youtube]

Take care, Larryz