Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

new Vox Continental - Some thoughts

Cool to hear from another happy VC user ;-)

I'm also still happy with mine. I'm just still a bit struggling with the keys, which I find a bit small.

But I'm satisfied with the action ,so...

And the sounds cut easily into busy mixes, plus my bandmates like it as well (look and sounds ;-)).

So where are you gentlemen getting these low prices I've been reading about in the states. Sweetwater still has the MAP posted on their website.

I know the folks on gearslutz are buying a 73 key Vox for about $1000 and change, the 61 key for less. They're getting them from a dealer in Germany.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

So where are you gentlemen getting these low prices I've been reading about in the states. Sweetwater still has the MAP posted on their website.

I know the folks on gearslutz are buying a 73 key Vox for about $1000 and change, the 61 key for less. They're getting them from a dealer in Germany.

Mike T.

Hi Mike,

Try Thomann: https://www.thomannmusic.com/vox_continental_61_keyboard.htm?ref=intl&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoidXMiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6NywibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOjJ9&reload=1

Mark

Trumpet player by trade, but fell in love with keys too.

Or MusicStore.de

Keep in mind some brands are not available for export from Germany. Casio is one of them. Surprisingly, the shipping is typically only $30 even for keyboards.

I'd always heard that the prices for keyboards was lower in the US, but their prices are in most cases lower.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Mike T.

Hi Mike,

Try Thomann: https://www.thomannmusic.com/vox_continental_61_keyboard.htm?ref=intl&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoidXMiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6NywibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOjJ9&reload=1

Mark

They're in Germany. I'm in the NE US.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Mike T.

Hi Mike,

Mark

They're in Germany. I'm in the NE US.

Mike T.

Ehm, you asked for "that German shop" and besides, I put in the link for their US shop...

Trumpet player by trade, but fell in love with keys too.

No, I didn't ask for a dealer in Germany, I mentioned that a dealer in Germany was selling the 73 key model for about $1000 and the 61 key for less.

Sweetwater is still showing MAP and I was curious if there were AMERICAN dealers that were selling the VOX under MAP. I don't know that I would buy a anything from a dealer in Europe. What happens if I get it and its damaged? What about warranty service?

Looking for competitive American based dealers are what I want to find out. Just a note, I am more interested in synths than organs, so I would look for other things than the Vox when it comes to Price. Sorry if I was not clear.

Mike T.

• 2 weeks later...
Getting the 73 now to join my 61.

So in love with the Vox Continental I want a second one.

I guess that's one way around not being able to split the board. Or needing more than 16 user presets (scenes). Or wanting a more complete seamless sound transition implementation. So, sure, why not...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Getting the 73 now to join my 61.

So in love with the Vox Continental I want a second one.

This time with the stand so I"m hoping it"ll work for both keyboards.

Anyone knows for sure?

Yep, I do -- the Sequenz stand that comes with the VC73 is specifically-customized for that particular board. If you purchase another tier, so that you can stack both boards, you will find that the add-on tiers are either too short, or too long, to fit on the VC73's stand. See my posts concerning this on Page 7 and Page 8 of this thread.

You can still use the VC73's stand for two tiers, but you will have to disassemble and cut the crosstubes of either the original tier, or the add-on tier, in order to allow both to fit, depending on whether you want the tiers to extend outside the leg poles (non-standard, like the VC73's) or stay inside the leg poles (standard position). Look closely at the pictures I posted, and stock pictures of the Sequenz stand (*not* the VC73's) on websites, and you'll see the difference in the tier configuration.

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

For the record, the pictures I posted of my modded two-tier VC73 stand show that I originally chose to match the original, but non-standard, option of leaving the tiers extended outside the leg poles. Of course, any keyboard you place on the stand has to fit *inside* the poles, and the "backwards"-mounted clamps just added extra inches of unnecessary width to my stage footprint. Eventually, I ended up sawing off the tubes on *both* tiers so that I could turn the clamps around and attach everything in the "standard" way. The VC73 still fits, obviously; and I also bought another set of those generic, movable supports -- I never bothered with the (again, very custom) VC73 supports that screwed into the bottom of the board so that you could tilt the tier radically.

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

Thanks very much, Brad.

I guess I wasn"t clear though, as I wanted to know if I"ll be able to also use the stand, that comes with the 73, for the 61.

It seems so, as Thomann sells the same $99 stand for both.

Edit: so to be clear, I don"t need the stand to support both Vox keyboards at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
We are quite disappointed with Vox for preventing us from shipping to your country of choice. Please consider products of a different manufacturer or switch to another delivery country. Remove this item

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

not sure what to make of this post above mine

Dave,

I believe it means as soon as you add a Vox product to the Thomann online cart, with a US delivery address specified, it triggers this "sorry" warning that Vox does not allow their European distributor to ship Vox product to the US.

Tim

not sure what to make of this post above mine

Dave,

I believe it means as soon as you add a Vox product to the Thomann online cart, with a US delivery address specified, it triggers this "sorry" warning that Vox does not allow their European distributor to ship Vox product to the US.

Tim

This is indeed what I received on the order page when I tried to purchase one from Germany sorry i was a little obtuse

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Vox Continental aficionados,

Korg has just released a new OS for the Conti, which add new sounds and a bunch of new features, especially a real split function for all instruments, up to 64 scenes, adjustable noise amount for organs...

That's real cool, and I'm happy that Korg takes care of enriching this instrument!!!!

Since I'm working from home today, I will start the update process.

And don't forget to save your scenes before updating, as I guess they will be erased in the process.

Hope everything will work flawlessly ;-)

Edit 3:47 pm (German Time): update worked perfectly fine, need some time to listen all the new sounds, but at least the basses were quite good (for keyboard bass sounds...) and the soft grand piano can be useful in a solo, or small setup context.

I did not have the time to try the split function yet, but from what I saw on the manual, it looks easy to setup.

It's great that they've added a true split function, but if I'm reading the update manual right, the expression pedal will affect both parts of the split, you can't change that. For me, that would nullify the most desirable type of split, which is organ and piano. If I can't use the expression pedal on organ while keeping the piano or epiano volume constant, then it's pretty useless to me.

I sold my Conti to make room for the Vintage Vibe. I'm still a fan of the Conti -- particularly the sound and feel of the epianos -- but the lack of a split was one of the things that made it expendable. Too bad they couldn't completely fix that.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

The ability to handle LH bass splits and store more than 16 user presets address what were probably its two biggest shortcomings from my perspective. And between its price decrease and Roland's price increase, the difference in price between this and the VR730 is now just $300, instead of the $700 it was when it first came out. So... cool.

It's nice to see they added the organ noise parameter, but I'm still surprised at the inability to select whatever percussion and c/v parameters you want, which I think really throws up a barrier when considering it against other sub-$2k organs, even if you generally like the CX3 engine, which is arguably at its best here with the inclusion of the tube.

I'm not sure whether octave settings can be adjusted/saved independently for each of the two split sounds... if not, split may have limited use outside of LH bass, since other LH sounds often have to be octave-shifted up (though LH bass alone is still a very useful split feature to have).

I'd still wish for independent sound panning, so I could send LH bass to a bass amp or separate FOH board channel, or to send organ out to a Vent.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I think independent octave setup of each of the two split sounds is a basic feature of a split function, but I did not have the time to try it yet. It's also not clearly mentioned on the updated user manual. But I really hope they've implemented it, because otherwise, the split function is completely useless in my opinion...

And yes it would be nice to have a independent sound panning function as well. Maybe for a future OS updated...