Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cool Italian Tele #3014050 10/28/19 09:53 PM
M
Music With Marky Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I just did a vid review of this one and wanted to share a couple pics I took of it. It seems to be an instrument that people either love or hate the look of. It sure plays and sounds great!

[Linked Image from musicwithmarky.com]

[Linked Image from musicwithmarky.com]

They are all handmade by Paoletti guitars in Italy. If you've any interest in the review, just check out my sig below. =]

www.youtube.com/c/MusicWithMarky - Trying to make the world better, one guitar note at a time.
GP Island
Re: Cool Italian Tele [Re: Music With Marky] #3014061 10/29/19 12:04 AM
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Neat looking

dbm
If it sounds good, it is good !!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=143231&content=music
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick
Re: Cool Italian Tele [Re: Music With Marky] #3014073 10/29/19 01:08 AM
S
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
S
Yeah. Put me in the camp of those who can't hang with the visual aesthetics. But if it plays great, it is great.

Scott Fraser
Re: Cool Italian Tele [Re: Music With Marky] #3014074 10/29/19 01:20 AM
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
What’s the doodad on the chain?

Oh yeah- who is the builder?

Last edited by Dannyalcatraz; 10/29/19 01:21 AM.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation:
Re: Cool Italian Tele [Re: Dannyalcatraz] #3014080 10/29/19 02:27 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Dannyalcatraz

It's just some like door spikey thing. I don't even know, lol. It looked neat.

Paoletti Guitars is the builder.

www.youtube.com/c/MusicWithMarky - Trying to make the world better, one guitar note at a time.
Re: Cool Italian Tele [Re: Music With Marky] #3014087 10/29/19 02:59 AM
Larryz Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Has a nice cowboy western look to it which reminds me of Waylon Jennings leather model...not sure about the humbucker at the bridge, but I really like the ashtray cutaway. When playing on a stock Tele bridge plate I find myself picking on the edge of the ashtray instead of the 1st string LOL! Also, in the close up pic, I'm wondering if that's an ebony fretboard? If so, that would be really cool and something you don't see everyday! cool

Take care, Larryz
Re: Cool Italian Tele [Re: Larryz] #3014093 10/29/19 06:00 AM
KuruPrionz Online Content
Online Content
Originally Posted by Larryz
Has a nice cowboy western look to it which reminds me of Waylon Jennings leather model...not sure about the humbucker at the bridge, but I really like the ashtray cutaway. When playing on a stock Tele bridge plate I find myself picking on the edge of the ashtray instead of the 1st string LOL! Also, in the close up pic, I'm wondering if that's an ebony fretboard? If so, that would be really cool and something you don't see everyday! cool

Fretboard does look like ebony, I like that. I think that is two Tele bridge pickups, not a humbucker per se. I guess it could become one with the 4 (or is it 2?) position on the switch.
I'd have to play it to say much, I don't care so much about how guitars look as long as I don't have to worry about banging away on them.
It is cool looking though.

It's gotta sing to be a keeper, everything else is frosting on the cake...

There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Re: Cool Italian Tele [Re: KuruPrionz] #3014094 10/29/19 06:09 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by KuruPrionz

Fretboard does look like ebony, I like that. I think that is two Tele bridge pickups, not a humbucker per se. I guess it could become one with the 4 (or is it 2?) position on the switch.
I'd have to play it to say much, I don't care so much about how guitars look as long as I don't have to worry about banging away on them.

It's a mahogany neck with teak fretboard. I'm no actually sure how the 3 way witch is routed. You might get a sense for it if you hear it (check the vid if you want, it's the latest one on my channel - link in sig).

Re: Cool Italian Tele [Re: Music With Marky] #3014096 10/29/19 06:51 AM
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club
20k Club
Originally Posted by Music With Marky

Looks to be the strap...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _
Re: Cool Italian Tele [Re: Caevan O'Shite] #3014097 10/29/19 07:40 AM
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Caevan O'Shite

Looks to be the strap...

Upon further review...yep!

Re: Cool Italian Tele [Re: KuruPrionz] #3014112 10/29/19 03:26 PM
Larryz Offline
10k Club
10k Club

I got most of my questions answered by watching the vid after clicking Marks' YouTube link in his sig line. The bridge pickups are spaced a lot further apart in the vid than in the pics. +1 on them being two singles spaced closed together as opposed to a humbucker. I was thinking when looking at the pics that they were copying the Fender Lace "Dually" concept i.e. where they stack two singles side by side to act like a humbucker:

"Dually[edit]
A Lace Sensor "Dually" is effectively a double-coil unit combining two Lace Sensor single-coil pickups in a humbucker configuration. The terminal leads of both pickup coils are accessible individually, so that they can be wired for a coil-splitting option or any other configuration." Wiki… I've never seen a slanted uncovered humbucker before, but who knows maybe they make them somewhere? idk

The switch is a 3 position. The neck is mahogany and the fretboard is teak...the fretboard looks like ebony so I wonder how well teak feels/works? cool

Last edited by Larryz; 10/29/19 03:29 PM.

Take care, Larryz
Re: Cool Italian Tele [Re: Music With Marky] #3014113 10/29/19 03:39 PM
Larryz Offline
10k Club
10k Club

It's a mahogany neck with teak fretboard. I'm no actually sure how the 3 way witch is routed. You might get a sense for it if you hear it (check the vid if you want, it's the latest one on my channel - link in sig).

+1 Mark, most of my questions were answered in the vid (a cool way to include your vids in discussions BTW)…

On the 3 way you could tap on each single coil and tell if it's live at each setting. I couldn't tell from the video but it sounded good in each position. I'm guessing front is neck, rear is one or both bridge, and middle is all 3? (Nice bell like sound in the middle position on the clean settings).

Also how does the teak compare to an ebony fretboard as far as looks, feel, etc. ?

A very nice playable "piece of art"! cool

ps. since you had a little concern on the quality of the 3 way...might be cool to go with a 5 way and get more configurations. I would like neck only and each bridge only to take up the 1st 3 positions and then combine the neck and one of the bridges at position 4 and all 3 combined at position 5 (as an example of my crazy thought LOL!) crazy

Last edited by Larryz; 10/29/19 03:48 PM. Reason: ps.

Take care, Larryz
Re: Cool Italian Tele [Re: Larryz] #3014139 10/29/19 05:36 PM
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club
20k Club

I got most of my questions answered by watching the vid after clicking Marks' YouTube link in his sig line. The bridge pickups are spaced a lot further apart in the vid than in the pics. +1 on them being two singles spaced closed together as opposed to a humbucker. I was thinking when looking at the pics that they were copying the Fender Lace "Dually" concept i.e. where they stack two singles side by side to act like a humbucker:

"Dually[edit]
A Lace Sensor "Dually" is effectively a double-coil unit combining two Lace Sensor single-coil pickups in a humbucker configuration. The terminal leads of both pickup coils are accessible individually, so that they can be wired for a coil-splitting option or any other configuration." Wiki… I've never seen a slanted uncovered humbucker before, but who knows maybe they make them somewhere? idk

The switch is a 3 position. The neck is mahogany and the fretboard is teak...the fretboard looks like ebony so I wonder how well teak feels/works? cool

Robbie Robertson of The Band was probably the very first to do that- that is, move the middle-pickup close to the bridge-pickup and use the guitar as a two-pickup guitar, as he was used to playing Fender Telecasters prior to getting the Strat. He had also replaced that pickup with a left-handed Strat pickup, so it's effectively "reversed", adding to the quasi-humbucker qualities. For the filming of Martin Scorsese's The Last Waltz documenting The Band's farewell concert extravaganza, he later had the guitar body bronzed- literally dipped in bronze, as was fashionable in those days to commemorate items such as a baby's outgrown first shoes- adding ten pounds (!) and a decidedly more "metallic", ringing tone.

Attached Files Robbie Robertson Bronzed Strat.jpg

Re: Cool Italian Tele [Re: Larryz] #3014144 10/29/19 06:11 PM
M
OP Offline
M

+1 Mark, most of my questions were answered in the vid (a cool way to include your vids in discussions BTW)…

On the 3 way you could tap on each single coil and tell if it's live at each setting. I couldn't tell from the video but it sounded good in each position. I'm guessing front is neck, rear is one or both bridge, and middle is all 3? (Nice bell like sound in the middle position on the clean settings).

Also how does the teak compare to an ebony fretboard as far as looks, feel, etc. ?

A very nice playable "piece of art"! cool

ps. since you had a little concern on the quality of the 3 way...might be cool to go with a 5 way and get more configurations. I would like neck only and each bridge only to take up the 1st 3 positions and then combine the neck and one of the bridges at position 4 and all 3 combined at position 5 (as an example of my crazy thought LOL!) crazy

Oh duuuude! I didn't think of replacing it with a 5 way. That's brilliant! I have my mobile techs coming here to put a pair of Lace pickups in an Aries of mine. I'll have to have them do that too.

So I realllly like the feel of the Teak. Probably my favorite neck feel of all my guitars. I didn't mention that on the vid, but I wasn't really thinking of it until you aksed. =]

Re: Cool Italian Tele [Re: Music With Marky] #3014159 10/29/19 09:17 PM
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I know they’re not precise like a 3-way, 5-way, N-way selector, but I have a rotary selector (stock) on one of my Reverends. That lets me blend my neck and bridge pickups as I see fit, in an analog vs digital kind of way. It’s pretty nifty being able to sweep through the range of tones, IMHO, but clearly not for everyone.

I’ve been thinking about getting one of the Reverends with 3 P90s and doing the mod Caev so often suggests- rewiring it for having the option of having all 3 selected simultaneously. If I do that, maaaaaaybe I’ll also go to a rotary selector...

Last edited by Dannyalcatraz; 10/29/19 09:17 PM.

Re: Cool Italian Tele [Re: Dannyalcatraz] #3014169 10/29/19 10:05 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I know they’re not precise like a 3-way, 5-way, N-way selector, but I have a rotary selector (stock) on one of my Reverends. That lets me blend my neck and bridge pickups as I see fit, in an analog vs digital kind of way. It’s pretty nifty being able to sweep through the range of tones, IMHO, but clearly not for everyone.

I’ve been thinking about getting one of the Reverends with 3 P90s and doing the mod Caev so often suggests- rewiring it for having the option of having all 3 selected simultaneously. If I do that, maaaaaaybe I’ll also go to a rotary selector...

I would actually love to have a blended selector like that. I didn't even know it was an option! I saw they have something like that on those Swiss guitars that you can pop pickups in and out of on the fly. Its this weird LED slider thing though.

Re: Cool Italian Tele [Re: Music With Marky] #3014173 10/29/19 10:31 PM
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I know I’ve seen them on parts websites- I think STEWMAC carries them.

I’d imagine a slider would work just as well, and might be BETTER if modding a guitar with a standard slider selector.

Last edited by Dannyalcatraz; 10/29/19 10:33 PM.

Re: Cool Italian Tele [Re: Dannyalcatraz] #3014183 10/29/19 11:34 PM
S
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
S

Or three on/off toggle switches.

Scott Fraser
Re: Cool Italian Tele [Re: Music With Marky] #3014186 10/29/19 11:54 PM
hurricane hugo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I like it lots. When it comes to Teles, though, these days I'm kinda obsessed with the idea of a double cutaway Tele. I think Schecter made dcT bodies back when they were still a replacement-parts company.

Re: Cool Italian Tele [Re: Music With Marky] #3014244 10/30/19 03:33 PM
Larryz Offline
10k Club
10k Club

I didn't think of replacing it with a 5 way. I have my mobile techs coming here to put a pair of Lace pickups in an Aries of mine. I'll have to have them do that too.

So I realllly like the feel of the Teak. Probably my favorite neck feel of all my guitars. I didn't mention that on the vid, but I wasn't really thinking of it until you aksed. =]

Cool info on that fretboard! Keep us posted and let us know if your techs use the 5way and how it comes out thu

Take care, Larryz
Re: Cool Italian Tele [Re: Caevan O'Shite] #3014245 10/30/19 03:48 PM
Larryz Offline
10k Club
10k Club

"Dually[edit]

Robbie Robertson of The Band was probably the very first to do that- that is, move the middle-pickup close to the bridge-pickup and use the guitar as a two-pickup guitar, as he was used to playing Fender Telecasters prior to getting the Strat. He had also replaced that pickup with a left-handed Strat pickup, so it's effectively "reversed", adding to the quasi-humbucker qualities. For the filming of Martin Scorsese's The Last Waltz documenting The Band's farewell concert extravaganza, he later had the guitar body bronzed- literally dipped in bronze, as was fashionable in those days to commemorate items such as a baby's outgrown first shoes- adding ten pounds (!) and a decidedly more "metallic", ringing tone.

Cool info Caevan! cool

Take care, Larryz
Re: Cool Italian Tele [Re: Music With Marky] #3014271 10/30/19 06:16 PM
skypuppy123 Offline
Really cool build. Would love to hear it thru a cranked Princeton or Deluxe reverb. The neck looks like it is a 10" radius?

Re: Cool Italian Tele [Re: Larryz] #3014273 10/30/19 06:25 PM
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club
20k Club
Cool info Caevan! cool

It's a cool and Iconic guitar! Though the thought of a what, eighteen, twenty pound Strat does seem a bit much... !?!

Re: Cool Italian Tele [Re: skypuppy123] #3014284 10/30/19 07:09 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by skypuppy123
Really cool build. Would love to hear it thru a cranked Princeton or Deluxe reverb. The neck looks like it is a 10" radius?

12". It's FAT! =]

Re: Cool Italian Tele [Re: Caevan O'Shite] #3014334 10/31/19 03:35 AM
Larryz Offline
10k Club
10k Club
Cool info Caevan! cool

It's a cool and Iconic guitar! Though the thought of a what, eighteen, twenty pound Strat does seem a bit much... !?!

+1 It's a bit much! I know my shoulder couldn't take it standing up and my hernia couldn't take it sitting down LOL! cool

Take care, Larryz
Re: Cool Italian Tele [Re: Music With Marky] #3015564 11/11/19 10:30 AM
S
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
S
This is not my thing, but I ran across Paoletti guitars a few years ago at a music show-they make a stunning Strat copy,
I have it on a flyer I picked up at the show. It's something like this one-ironic that it's signed by John Norum of Europe.
A friend of mine from Sweden, who I just missed last week while he was visiting here-we couldn't arrange schedules-is the son
of the guy who first discovered and promoted that band.
https://www.paolettiguitars.com/product/stratospheric-winejn/

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491
Re: Cool Italian Tele [Re: skipclone 1] #3015645 11/11/19 07:18 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by skipclone 1
This is not my thing, but I ran across Paoletti guitars a few years ago at a music show-they make a stunning Strat copy,
I have it on a flyer I picked up at the show. It's something like this one-ironic that it's signed by John Norum of Europe.
A friend of mine from Sweden, who I just missed last week while he was visiting here-we couldn't arrange schedules-is the son
of the guy who first discovered and promoted that band.
https://www.paolettiguitars.com/product/stratospheric-winejn/

Yeah that one is way less out there than the style I got. If it sounds or plays anything like mine, I'm sure it's a beast.

Re: Cool Italian Tele [Re: Music With Marky] #3015760 11/12/19 10:26 AM
S
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
S
The one on the flyer is midway between this one and yours-embroidered but still understated.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491