Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone else a middle-pickup hater?

@ DBM, It is fun to make up your own guitar and you learn from mistakes. It's also fun when the mistakes still sound good (because you had a vision)! I've got to empty my quiver and get down to 3 or 4 guitars...one of these days LOL! :cool:

Yep that is not the only parts caster that I have made. I gave several others to my kiddo for keepsakes one of them is the best that I ever made for neck true-ness, and everything was done to spec. However it has 3 EMG pickups in it, which I never liked. But it does have one feature I liked a lot, 3 on-off switches for the pups.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ DBM, It is fun to make up your own guitar and you learn from mistakes. It's also fun when the mistakes still sound good (because you had a vision)! I've got to empty my quiver and get down to 3 or 4 guitars...one of these days LOL! :cool:
And sometimes, it sounds good BECAUSE OF those "mistakes"!

The one pictured above is one of my all time favorite guitars no matter who made them. It has one of the best set of varied tones of any of my instruments past and present. It is a joy to play, and I play it every 3rd day.

We grow as we go!!!

I have a boogered old single cut Gibson Melody Maker. Originally it was a double pickup model. Some savage did a horrendous install of 3 strat pickups (the 5 way switch is deep so they cut a hole completely through the control area and put a hideous cover over it). And yes, apparently a butterknife can be used as a chisel!!!! Ugh...

It has a great neck and one piece body (and neck) of old growth Honduras Mahogany plus a Brazilian fingerboard. Headstock has never been broken. Very light, resonant guitar.

I have thought I might put a middle pickup in that, just one pickup (and I've returned to the topic!). I have a hot Filtertron from the era before Fender bought Gretsch and consulted with TV Jones. It is about 8.5K or double the winds of a vintage Gretsch. Thinking I would like to run it straight to the output jack. So here I am, a non-middle pickup user, with a project that I might just use a middle pickup.

Partly because I don't have any guitars like that. Plenty of picking space in front and behind, all good.

In my 10/22/19 post above I mentioned wanting to try a Gibson ES225 classic model some day. It is the forerunner of the ES175. They made the 225 in a single or double pickup model back in the 50's. I want to try the single pickup model which has a P90 centered like what you are describing and right on topic for the anti-middle-pickup-haters LOL! I would love to swap it out for a humbucker but the guitar would depreciate quickly if I did so. +1 there is plenty of room for picking and finger picking between the bridge and a middle mounted pup. I would keep the stock volume and tone control. Someday this dream will come true and I'll pull the trigger on one! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

And sometimes, it sounds good BECAUSE OF those "mistakes"!

The one pictured above is one of my all time favorite guitars no matter who made them. It has one of the best set of varied tones of any of my instruments past and present. It is a joy to play, and I play it every 3rd day.

:thu: :thu: :thu:

Take care, Larryz

Yep that is not the only parts caster that I have made. I gave several others to my kiddo for keepsakes one of them is the best that I ever made for neck true-ness, and everything was done to spec. However it has 3 EMG pickups in it, which I never liked. But it does have one feature I liked a lot, 3 on-off switches for the pups.

I like EMG's and have 3 Srats set up with them in different configurations. I sold my Fender Jaguar to my buddy. It only had two pickups but they each have their own on/off switch. I liked that feature as well. Just don't forget to leave at least one of them in the on position LOL! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

In my 10/22/19 post above I mentioned wanting to try a Gibson ES225 classic model some day. It is the forerunner of the ES175. They made the 225 in a single or double pickup model back in the 50's. I want to try the single pickup model which has a P90 centered like what you are describing and right on topic for the anti-middle-pickup-haters LOL! I would love to swap it out for a humbucker but the guitar would depreciate quickly if I did so. +1 there is plenty of room for picking and finger picking between the bridge and a middle mounted pup. I would keep the stock volume and tone control. Someday this dream will come true and I'll pull the trigger on one! :cool:

I knew a great player in Fresno who had a Gibson ES330 with a single P-90 in the center. He loved that guitar, it was well worn. I never plugged it in but I did tink around on it. Frets were much smaller than I prefer and well worn but it was one of those guitars that has a "vibe" from being played so much. He got a "pit gig" in Las Vegas, backing up whatever acts were booked. I bet he still has the guitar!!!

I've never seen another. Plenty of two pickup ES330s but not a single like that. Most Gibson hollowbody single pickup guitars have a neck pickup.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

OK, Here's a 225 you don't see in like new condition but once in a lifetime: may the luck of the gods shine on me some day!

:yeahthat:

That's a beauty!! I am afraid of excellent + to mint vintage guitars because I want to play my guitars and not worry about them at all.

Sometimes a well worn one can be within reach as well. I'd surely feel bad to ding that beauty!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Kind of like owning a classic car in classic condition. You can't park them anywhere without worrying about them getting dinged or stolen. I saw Joe Bonamassa's tech doing a rig run down. He pulled out a couple of 59 Les Pauls and said Joe likes to pack his classic guitars to the gigs and play them instead of just having them lay around the house. The celebrity status really raises the prices on guitars at auction. I have no use for a car or a guitar that can't be used. My current favorite looks a lot like the 225 in the vid. It has the same semi-hollow body with the same binding in maple back and sides with a spruce top. Mine has two humbuckers and a 3 way in gold. Otherwise it looks pretty close and it's new. Only cost $1,700. Imagine what that single middle pickup 225 in that condition would cost us? I'm guessing minimum bid of $3,000 and if it was on Antique Roadshow, I'm guessing $30,000 for insurance purposes LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

June Millington' s 57 Les Paul which she paid $500. for in 70-71. And Jeans $125. 63 P bass. Still used everyday.

https://images.app.goo.gl/vV3R3T5CLXS1xyYB6

Thanks for that link, surfergirl; what a great interview! And that's a really cool guitar, as well. :cool::rawk:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _