Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm from the days when "tremolo" meant something in a guitar amp. But lately, I've become enamored of plug-in tremolos because of tempo sync, multiple waveforms, and some cool stuff like built-in level step sequencing.

For example, rhythmically stepped level changes going into or out of reverb can be pretty cool. Sawtooth wave tremolo with a negative slope does something I used to have build custom boxes to do back in the day. And I dig that several DAWs let you draw in periodic automation waveforms.

But if any plug-in manufacturers are reading this...hey! Include a smoother of some kind to round off the super-sharp edges of sawtooth, rectangle, and step sequencers. We don't need those clicks! Basically, something like the lag processors in analog synthesizers. And...I could never understand random waveforms that simply changing straight-line levels. It would be nice to be able to smooth those out as well.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the reasons I purchased the Fender 2 collection for Amplitube in my recent plug-in spree was the 67 Blackface Fender Super Reverb. I wanted it for the tremolo and the underwater "surf" reverb.

Haven't messed with it much but I saw this thread and set out on a search.

This one is free: http://adammonroemusic.com/free-tremolo-vst/tremolo-vst-free.html

It is pretty "normal" as tremolo goes, there is also a panner. I tried it, seems to sound fine for what it is.

Smoothing option? This one looks interesting and I'll have to give it a spin also. https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2018/01/11/hy-plugins-tp2/

There is a nice variety of waveforms for different effects, a bit more sophisticated + a smoothing option.

As always, if something is "free" on the internet you are the product, not the customer. This is why God created fake gmail accounts!!!!!

Here's a thought, since tremolo is amplitude modulation maybe you could run two instances of the same track with the same tremolo settings and then gate one of the tracks until all it does is make that glitch sound you mention. Then, reverse phase and cancel it. I haven't tried it, your recent posting of your link on using phase reversal to make things go away has been rolling around in my brain for a bit.

:- D

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Hmmm...not sure I can create an out of phase glitch. But I can definitely try the HY-TP2, with the smoothing option :)

My solution so far for things that don't have smoother is to use a transient shaper after the tremoloed audio, but it would be better to deal with the issue at the source.

BTW - I'm very much into using phase differences for stuff! Try this: Run a dry track in parallel with a phase shifter, and throw the dry track out of phase to cancel every that's not phase-shifted. It sounds pretty darn cool :)

Hmmm...not sure I can create an out of phase glitch. But I can definitely try the HY-TP2, with the smoothing option :)

My solution so far for things that don't have smoother is to use a transient shaper after the tremoloed audio, but it would be better to deal with the issue at the source.

BTW - I'm very much into using phase differences for stuff! Try this: Run a dry track in parallel with a phase shifter, and throw the dry track out of phase to cancel every that's not phase-shifted. It sounds pretty darn cool :)

Yeah, I've been runnnig all sorts of weird combinations including phase shift through my head, including automating the phase shifted track so the non-shifted track varies.

It is an infinite rabbit hole of potential goodness!!! I will be experimenting and soon. :- D

Went for the second one, it does all sorts of cool stuff.

Pretty sure it will do everything and anything the first one will do, so I can delete that one.

They have some other stuff, I bookmarked the page.