Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PSP release B Scanner

Received an email from PSP announcing the release of B Scanner - a dedicated Chorus Vibrato effect. Intro price $39 - less for existing customers.

I am going to get it at that price and see what difference it makes compared to the CV in Vintage B3. Based on the manual it provides a lot of options to independently tweak chorus and vibrato.

With this and l'Otary PSP have the ultimate Hammond effect tweaking suite.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty cool. (Full disclosure: I Beta test for PSP)

They nailed the Hammond Chorus and Vibratos, but what I really like is that you can get a bunch of "non-traditional" effects with this thing too. Love that they've made the lever capable of being set anywhere "in the middle" (like L'otary) too.

• 11 months later...

Since I am not adept at Software I am not sure how I might use it.

One thing I do know is that you would somehow need to separate any percussion harmonics from this to get an accurate Hammond sound.

The Roland VR-09 made the mistake of not separating vibrato from percussion, and as a result that board is useless to me. And I have loved the previous Roland organ engines too.

Also when Trek percussion is added to a BV or CV, percussion cannot be separate from the scanner. So Chorus Vibrato with percussion often sounds weird.

I think it is interesting that they did this. Wish I understood the software world a bit better.

I'm trying the PSP B-Scanner Demo download (14 days trial).

Everytime I click on one of the graphics/parameters to edit something, the image disappears and I can't edit anything. Some sort of glitch?

(edit - I just tried using the 32-bit version, this time it was a bit more stable and I was able to adjust some parameters. Sounds very nice, but ultimately all I do is use it on C3! All that tweakability!?)

LX88 brings up a very good point - I guess you'd need to run:

1) An organ Model, then

2) A scanner Vibrato Model, (with percussion after if possible?)

3) Then a Leslie Model,

4) then some reverb...

...whew!...

(My main interest would be using and improving the C/V on Acoustic Samples B5, and Native Instruments Vintage Organs. I don't think VB3 needs any help in the C/V section.)

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

• 2 years later...

Both are on sale once again, but not quite as generous on the PSP side as the last sale.

It's probably not cool to post a link to a specific vendor here, as that could show bias, but A-D (figure it out) has Martinic Scanner Vibrato foir $19.50 and PSP B-Scanner for $37.95.

I bought the PSP product when it came out. The Martinic plug-in has a more traditional interface. Has anyone done a shootout between these two?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 5 weeks later...

Once again, both are on sale -- this time, at BF prices.

I couldn't resist the Martinic Scanner Vibrato for just $13 at A-D.

Such a low risk, and I liked the guitar demos, but not the synth ones.

If I end up only using the PSP B-Scanner, at least I didn't spend much.

Very surprised no one ever chimed in with a direct comparison of them!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager