Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Craziest thing ever said to you at a gig

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"I know what I'm talking about -- I'm a sound guy."

Man, I'm so glad it's not just my band that gets advice from the "incredibly gifted but strangely not working tonight sound guy".

My usual response (politely), "not sure if you're aware, but we run the sound from over there, you're welcome to chat to our (bearded, tattooed and former Australian Army boxing champion) sound guy about it." They never take me up on the offer.

By this point, my own experience hardly seems noteworthy, but FWIW:

the gig was down an alley, at a bar that had no sign outside. Upon entering, we found everything inside was spray-painted black.

As we set up our gear, we couldn't help noticing the bar's one patron was passed out in front of the men's-room door.

I don't recall anyone else showing up for the entire gig, but we debuted two new songs.

It's not the gear, it's the player ... but hey, look -- new gear!

Oh wait, I do have one, sorta:

We were playing as an acoustic trio, when the (rhythm guitar/voc) bandleader permitted a Joplinesque singer join us mid-set. She'd been drinking before she arrived and wasn't about to slow that down, and launched into whatever she felt like singing w/out even asking if we knew it. Fortunately I was quick enough to jump on and so was the drummer; the bandleader was sorta left pretending to play along, unless I could tell him real quick "what the chords are". And the audience LOVED her, so why not? We backed her up like that had been the plan.

But she was still drinking between and during songs; the drunker she got, the farther the mike drifted from her face (I guess her arm got tired?), and she had to practically scream to make herself heard. I made the mistake of suggesting that she wouldn't have to sing so hard if she held the mike a little closer to her mouth. As her drunken eyes leveled at me, the words filtered out of her haze: "You don't like me, do you?"

It's not the gear, it's the player ... but hey, look -- new gear!

My first gig with a horn/funk band, back in the mid 80s. The club only had funk-blues-jazz bands, and I was nervous about debuting before a hip crowd. First break, a guy came up to me and told me what a great keyboard player I was. Then, proceeded to throw up all over my shoes.

Ever since, I don't take compliments or criticisms seriously at all.

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

But she was still drinking between and during songs; the drunker she got, the farther the mike drifted from her face (I guess her arm got tired?), and she had to practically scream to make herself heard. I made the mistake of suggesting that she wouldn't have to sing so hard if she held the mike a little closer to her mouth. As her drunken eyes leveled at me, the words filtered out of her haze: "You don't like me, do you?"
:roll:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Not the craziest thing, but funny nonetheless. Sharing only because there's video evidence. Was playing guitar (Malcolm) at the time in an AC/DC tribute band in Phoenix. This girl was at the bar with her friends...celebrating her 21st birthday and got liquored. Faceplants on the dance floor after tripping over a monitor wedge. All I could do is keep on playing and share a cross stage laugh with the bass player. I'm sure she had a wicked hangover the next day. =)

Voyager, A Tribute to the Music of Journey - http:// www.facebook.com/voyageraz

Keys: Korg KronosX 88, M Audio Code 61, Novation Launchkey, Mainstage, Keyscape, Omnisphere

Not the craziest thing, but funny nonetheless. Sharing only because there's video evidence. Was playing guitar (Malcolm) at the time in an AC/DC tribute band in Phoenix. This girl was at the bar with her friends...celebrating her 21st birthday and got liquored. Faceplants on the dance floor after tripping over a monitor wedge. All I could do is keep on playing and share a cross stage laugh with the bass player. I'm sure she had a wicked hangover the next day. =)

A drunk young lady tripped over one of our monitors too. She went over backwards while holding a drink -- that spilled all over the lead guitarist's pedal board. All the rest of us thought it was funny though. :laugh:

We had a drunk one night who thought he was an Olympian. Did a handstand on a waist high stage from the front row....on the very front edge of the stage in front of the singer's monitor. Needless to say, he fell over and cracked his back over the monitor wedge. Another hella hangover. Good times!

Voyager, A Tribute to the Music of Journey - http:// www.facebook.com/voyageraz

Keys: Korg KronosX 88, M Audio Code 61, Novation Launchkey, Mainstage, Keyscape, Omnisphere