Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

audio interface for stage

I am looking for a new USB audio interface for my live keyboard set up.. However, I only need a stereo output, basically just a DAC. I don"t need any inputs and most definitely not any mic pres and don"t want to pay for that or have the unnecessary bulk to carry around. So I have been looking at IK iRig I/O, Apogee Jam+, as well as even possibly Audioquest Dragonfly. My main concern is latency and if these interfaces are up to the task. None of them have their own drivers and rely on WASAPI and or ASIO4ALL. Anyone have any experience with any of them...or suggestions?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would stay away from the Radial USB Pro. I was just troubleshooting someone else's rig and it proved to be the weak link in the chain. For whatever reason it doesn't seem up to the task of handling live audio & plugins from MainStage. He just switched over to the smallest Focusrite Clarett and it's rock solid.

Key Largo has been a great asset to my own personal rig. Of the three you list I would go with the IK iRig Pro.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Thanks, I was wondering about the Radial USB Pro, as it does not have its own driver and is just plug and play. The Key Largo is again more than I need for my particular usage. IK technical support assure me the iRig I/O Pro will work great with the WASAPI driver.

After researching some favorable reviews, I have the Peavey USB-P interface. Simple USB in, stereo XLR outs. It has worked just fine for me.

Bobby

Kurzweil Forte 7, Studiologic SL73 with Mainstage, Ibanez basses, Numerous Guitars, Presonus StudioOne 5

The Peavey USB-P looks good and definitely gets good reviews..and from people playing soft synths live, which is what I need it to do. I am still confused however, as this is also plug and play and does not have its own driver. I have seem many references to the idea that a well written driver is of paramount importance to latency.

I would take a serious look at the RME Babyface Pro. RME writes their own stellar drivers and supports their products for a very long time. Latencies are very low.

Yamaha CP-73, Hammond SK Pro 73, Yamaha MODX 7, Roland Fantom 06, Roland VK-8M, Yamaha FS1R

You are trading price, stability, performance, stage-space and ruggedness against each other in my view. The Radial USB Pro is not as high performing as more expensive D/As I have used in the studio, but for my live rig it 's stable and it wins on ruggedness and stage-space. Maybe, I just don't push my Mainstage concerts enough, lol.

YMMV. All the best.

You are trading price, stability, performance, stage-space and ruggedness against each other in my view. .

Yes I agree. But not sure why a more simple or more focused set of features has to be "cheap" or less well designed. Why can't a product like USB Pro or iRig Pro be an actual pro piece of gear with quality driver?

I would take a serious look at the RME Babyface Pro.

I'm definitely aware that RME is pretty much the gold standard. However even the Babyface Pro is overkill for my particular needs. The price is pretty steep as well and while I don't mind paying for quality, it's not quite as easy to pay for a lot of features i don't need... which also creates a larger footprint in my live setup than desired.