Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mixer help

One mixer is for going out to different churches and one is to stay in my church

When Im outout playing (I need 2 mics, one guitar and 2 keyboards)

At church (2 to 3 keyboards)

Models Im thinking about;

Unless you guys have a better suggestion these are in my price ranges

Yamaha MG10XU

&

Mackie ProFX8v2 8-channel Mixer

Mackie 802VLZ4 8-Channel Mixer

Mackie ProFX10v3 6 Channel Mixer ( all in the same price range which one is the best.Im not a Mackie expert?)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought the ProFX8, didn"t really like the sound and there was some problem with noise in the fx section, swapped it for another one, which had the same.

I use a Yamaha mg6x, and I like the mg serie better than the Mackies profx. I never tried the other one.

Allen & heath and soundcraft are other options. Bit more expensive though.

Rudy

Not sure what they make these days, but I did many gigs with a Soundcraft Notepad 10. Very quiet and reliable, no fx on mine though.

Behringer seems to be making good stuff these days, I have one of their interfaces (mic pres sound good to me) and my buddy got the Deepmind, very well-made. Might want to look at their mixer offerings.

I hae a Yamaha MG12/4 FX, it is a nice little mixer. Our drummer uses a similar but smaller Yamaha mixer. That is nice too.

Yamaha is good kit. Have not tried the Mackie but I've had good luck with their products as well.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Another vote for the Yamaha MG series, I have the 10.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I have used both Mackie and Yamaha mixers for 25 years. Both built like tanks. In your price range I would choose the Yamaha.

Dave, in my experience these new mackie mixers are (profx) not as well built as the old ones (vlz range). Maybe they are also different price categories.

Rudy

One vote for Soundcraft Notepad-12fx. I use mine in a duo with 2 mics, guitar and 2 keys and have no complaints. Quiet for the price.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I have the Mackie profx8. I've had problems with it since I bought it new.

Sometimes only one main out works. I have to press the break button (mutes all channels) repetively to coax the other channel into working.

Other times when i disconnect and transport it, then plug things in again, I will have either quieter or louder decibel levels. This happens even though I meticulously keep track of all my settings and

parameters.

I've also noticed that it colors my sound in a negative fashion, compared to just plugging my Kurzweil into my keyboard amp.

I've had about enough of it. I'm looking at buying an Allen and Heath zed10 or 14.

Kurzweil PC3K8/ GSI Gemini Desktop/ ESI UNIK 8+ monitors/ QSC K8.2/ Radial Key Largo/ CPS Spacestation 

Same here MG10XU, I also have a MG06X I use at home. The MG06X has been on continuously for years.

I use it between my monitors and a couple of other things besides my audio interface. Unlike the speakers I never bother to turn it off.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I have used both Mackie and Yamaha mixers for 25 years. Both built like tanks. In your price range I would choose the Yamaha.

Dave, in my experience these new mackie mixers are (profx) not as well built as the old ones (vlz range). Maybe they are also different price categories.

I attempted to fix a channel on my 1402 VLZ a few months ago. While this mixer has been very reliable (22 years or so and still going other than the 1 channel) its one of the worse product designs from a serviceability stand point. The rear connector board/assembly is attached to the main board with individual flex wires only(!) that conduct signals and easily break when the unit is disassembled. It uses smts which surprised me for the age of this board but no matter. However some of them are mounted underneath the connectors soldered to the board making it impossible to get a probe on them let alone replace them if needed.

Yeah, they don"t make 'tanks' like they used to. But seriously maybe just something to be aware of .

I attempted to fix a channel on my 1402 VLZ a few months ago. While this mixer has been very reliable (22 years or so and still going other than the 1 channel) its one of the worse product designs from a serviceability stand point. The rear connector board/assembly is attached to the main board with individual flex wires only(!) that conduct signals and easily break when the unit is disassembled. It uses smts which surprised me for the age of this board but no matter. However some of them are mounted underneath the connectors soldered to the board making it impossible to get a probe on them let alone replace them if needed.

Yeah, they don"t make 'tanks' like they used to. But seriously maybe just something to be aware of .

I used the phrase "built like tanks " as a figure of speech. Most of us don't repair our own equipment. I could have used the phrase "very reliable" and been more accurate, for sure.

:nopity:

I own several mixers,- Roland M160s, Rolls RM203, Ashly MX508 and Mackie 1604 VLZ.

It still works !

But we had it disassembled several times because it shows a minor issue in one of the subgroups,- w/ exactly the same settings, one of the subgroups not showing exactly the same level.

No biggie since it can be compensated moving the fader,- but it looked a bit weird.

I confirm, disassembly is kind of nitemare.

Anyway ...

When I bought that mixer long time ago, I already knew it´s not the same construction and build quality I knew from (my) analog 8-bus consoles in different price categories or even Ashlys w/ less channels and less features.

But I bought it because it was good (and cheap) enough for keyboard´s and module´s line signals in live gigging situations.

The 1604s are already the larger rackmounts and when I wanted a small "non rackmount" analog mixer again today,- I´d choose the Mackie 1202 VLZ4 just because

THIS mixer offers 2 features I´d prefer,- built in PSU and built in DI (balanced outs, user-switchable between +4dB line and mic level !

I really hate the small mixers w/ line lumps as big as the mixer itself,- but that´s only me.

A.C.