Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Brent Mydland - Too Funny .....

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing this again reminded me that it has indeed been a long strange trip for Sen. Al Franken.

I love Brent's playing in the GD: "Daddy's loving arms will gather you in."

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

"Won't work"

hilarious :) Haven't seen this in so long, it's like new all over again.

Of course, this is clearly scripted, and (deliberately) akin to first-gen SNL: a truly meaningless "interview" that highlights the frustration of "new guy" status.

Nice to remember Brent, whose performance and songs I appreciated from the get-go. Some time ago I put together my own imagining of the 1983 album the Dead failed to make, and used three songs from each singer. Well, I cheated a bit: "I Don't Need Love" didn't debut until March '84, but I didn't want to leave it out, so I guess it's the 1984 album they didn't make. Pretty good stuff!

It's not the gear, it's the player ... but hey, look -- new gear!

Pretty funny if you're a deadhead. "Definitely Phil" LOL.

BTW, the cussing wasn't dubbed, this was a pay-per-view broadcast. There's another scene were either Al Frankin or Tom Davis "accidentally" knocks over "Jerry's guitar."

Doesn't Al also complain "great, we get to interview the guy that's been in the band for 10 minutes."

Pretty funny if you're a deadhead. "Definitely Phil" LOL.

BTW, the cussing wasn't dubbed, this was a pay-per-view broadcast. There's another scene were either Al Frankin or Tom Davis "accidentally" knocks over "Jerry's guitar."

Huh. It sounded to me like the EQ / ambience changed when he dropped the cuss words. Sorry for the confusion.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Brent was known for having a dirty mouth. Prior to Brent, a Dead concert featured precious few curse words, often used in lyrics for meaningful poetic effect. But Brent injected a more casual swearing style into the live performances, which some Deadheads got a kick out of but I think the larger portion (including me) found distasteful. Fortunately, Brent's keyboard chops outweighed his swearing!

• 3 years later...

Brent Mydland was a great keyboard player for the Grateful Dead, and it's no surprise that he played during the most commercial period of the Dead. Mydland's keyboards included a Yamaha CP-70 and a Prophet 5 synthesizer, and he was also noted for using a Yamaha GS1, which was basically a synthesizer that operated on punch cards, and was also one of the first FM synthesizers Yamaha ever invented, predating the DX7 by about a few years.

These are just some of my favorite Brent Mydland era Grateful Dead songs.

And prior to playing in the Grateful Dead, Brent was also the keyboard player for the short lived rock band Silver, who charted briefly with the song Wham Bam.