Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Stands - It's an Illness (GAS)

It doesn't tear down that easy.

You mean that merely collapsing it doesn't get it small enough, so you have to disassemble it further than that? (Because if the collapsed stand is small enough, I can't imagine anything being much easier...)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18880 doesn't collapse the new one does.

Are you sure you aren't talking about the 18810?

The 18810 ("Omega") doesn't collapse at all: https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyboard-stands/keyboard-tables/18810-table-style-keyboard-stand-omega-black?c=171

The 18880 collapses side-to-side: https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyboard-stands/keyboard-tables/18880-table-style-keyboard-stand-black

The 18820 ("Omega Pro") looks like the 18810, but the legs fold up: https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyboard-stands/keyboard-tables/18820-table-style-keyboard-stand-omega-pro-black?c=171

18880 doesn't collapse the new one does.

Are you sure you aren't talking about the 18810?

The 18810 ("Omega") doesn't collapse at all: https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyboard-stands/keyboard-tables/18810-table-style-keyboard-stand-omega-black?c=171

The 18880 collapses side-to-side: https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyboard-stands/keyboard-tables/18880-table-style-keyboard-stand-black

The 18820 ("Omega Pro") looks like the 18810, but the legs fold up: https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyboard-stands/keyboard-tables/18820-table-style-keyboard-stand-omega-pro-black?c=171

Yes I made a mistake the 18810

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Yes, I leave the stackers attached. The two sides still collapse together, in a matter of seconds. So while the height and depth remain the same whether it is set up or collapsed, the width shrinks from the width needed to support your 88 when set up to a width of probably about about 3 inches when collapsed.

Thanks for the explanation!

My current 2-tier stand set up for sitting is about 35" tall. The 18880 is 15.7" (40cm), so collapsed that'd be about 35" x 15.7" x 3". For comparison my 88-key board (PX 560) is 52"x11.5"x5.8". In my car, I usually put one back seat down and slide the keyboard (in gig bag) onto the back seat from the trunk. I could try just laying an 18880 on top of that, but the extra 4.5" inches looks it might make it too wide to fit through that one-back-seat hole any more.

But those dimensions aren't bad at all, it'd probably fit entirely in the trunk, or across the back seats--there should be plenty of options.

I'm more confused about the 18820. The legs fold up, but then you're still left with any stackers sticking up above it, right? Seems like it'd take up a lot of space at that point, so whether it's practical would depend on how convenient it is to remove the stackers every time.

Well, someone mentioned the K&M 18880 and the 18882 "stacker" (the 18881 isn't adjustable for angle, the 18882 is). I happened to have $225 that wasn't earmarked for frivolities like food or gasoline, so I pulled the trigger on YET ANOTHER KEYBOARD STAND.

This is my go to gig stand with 3 tiers. Light with fast set up/tear down. It has held up pretty good. I sold three stands lately, but use a couple of profile z stands at home. I kept my 18950 with two tiers if I need to leave the piano in the flight case bottom, as I have not figured out how to cut the 18880 down far enough for sitting.

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

So on the 18880 is there an attachment you can buy for a mic boom?

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

So on the 18880 is there an attachment you can buy for a mic boom?

I didn't see one on the site, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were one available. I use a boom mic stand

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

I always built my own stands.

In the past using USS (Ultimate Support Systems) parts and tubing, but nowadays there´s an alternative:

5 pages of Jaspers (keybd) stand parts

I also use a K&M 188xxx ... whatever tabletype stand,- but it´s only good for sitting position and not ideal for standing position (which I prefer).

Especially adjustment up "upper tier" extensions is not ideal for me and also not in sitting position.

A.C.

Yes, I leave the stackers attached. The two sides still collapse together, in a matter of seconds. So while the height and depth remain the same whether it is set up or collapsed, the width shrinks from the width needed to support your 88 when set up to a width of probably about about 3 inches when collapsed.

Thanks for the explanation!

My current 2-tier stand set up for sitting is about 35" tall. The 18880 is 15.7" (40cm), so collapsed that'd be about 35" x 15.7" x 3". For comparison my 88-key board (PX 560) is 52"x11.5"x5.8". In my car, I usually put one back seat down and slide the keyboard (in gig bag) onto the back seat from the trunk. I could try just laying an 18880 on top of that, but the extra 4.5" inches looks it might make it too wide to fit through that one-back-seat hole any more.

But those dimensions aren't bad at all, it'd probably fit entirely in the trunk, or across the back seats--there should be plenty of options.

I'm more confused about the 18820. The legs fold up, but then you're still left with any stackers sticking up above it, right? Seems like it'd take up a lot of space at that point, so whether it's practical would depend on how convenient it is to remove the stackers every time.

It's hard to explain. I leave the pieces that the tiers fit in to attached to the stand.On the back is a set screw type deal with a large handle. Turn to loosen pull the tier out and stash the tiers in a backpack I have with me anyway. The part of the tier that is still attached still protrudes upward from the stand roughly 6 inches or so. With the stackers mounted it's even taller and heavier. My main reason for taking the tiers out is the weight and awkwardness while carrying. Setup is a minute the way I do it. Doesn't bother me at all. Seems perfectly reasonable to me but everybody seems to want setup in less than 20 seconds. I've honestly never needed to setup that fast.

I like a lot about the 1880 and the stacker piece, but...I've lost a few screws and knobs, even after making sure they are tightened. Also, even though I like the weight when carrying it, I tj=hink I'd feel a tad more secure if it was only a pound or two heavier.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

It's hard to explain. I leave the pieces that the tiers fit in to attached to the stand.On the back is a set screw type deal with a large handle. Turn to loosen pull the tier out and stash the tiers in a backpack I have with me anyway. The part of the tier that is still attached still protrudes upward from the stand roughly 6 inches or so. With the stackers mounted it's even taller and heavier. My main reason for taking the tiers out is the weight and awkwardness while carrying. Setup is a minute the way I do it. Doesn't bother me at all. Seems perfectly reasonable to me but everybody seems to want setup in less than 20 seconds. I've honestly never needed to setup that fast.

Oh, that make sense, and doesn't sound too bad. Thanks!

A minute is fine. Currently I probably average 10-15 minutes altogether to pack or unpack stand and keyboards, most of that time probably spent on the stand itself. And I have to do that 4 times each time I play outside the house. So, for a 2 hour rehearsal I'm spending 40 minutes to an hour packing and unpacking. That plus the driving saps out some of the fun.

• 2 weeks later...
I'll let you guys know. It will be here tomorrow. I will try to report back on it.

Have you figured out if it works for you?

It does but it's still large folded up if you keep the tiers on there isn't getting around it unless you want to take it apart each time. At least the folding legs is an improvement.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

• 3 weeks later...

So.... I've got an On-Stage Z stand with 2 tiers. I'd like to have, among other things, 2 monitors (on the smaller size, like a 5 or 6.5" studio monitor) close at hand. I could get two of those speaker stands with a triangular base, but their footprint at the bottom is 18" for each side! I'm already squeezing in my Z stand.

What I'd like is to have a 3d tier with my Z stand, and instead of another keyboard I could put my 2 studio monitors up there and perhaps a laptop in the center.

It seems like it should be possible, we're not talking a lot of weight, 25 pounds maybe. I'm pretty sure I'd be able to connect a mic post to the back of the arm for the second tier, so why not another tier?

I'm LOVING my Z stand these days. Set up at home, comfy office arm chair, height adjustable, my NS 88 on bottom and the Pa1000 on top, all easy reach, perfect heights. Now I just need some good monitors!!!

I have that same stand. Only problem I see is that you would really need to think about weight distribution on the tiers. If I put a lightweight board on bottom tier and a heavy board on upper tier - the stand wants to fall over backward - just due to the way it is designed.

I do have a mic boom attached to the stand, with a K&M iPad holder at the other end, for reading charts.

Now, if this is at home, and the stand is put up against some kind of support to keep it from tilting back, might work out well.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

MBK,

Good point, wouldn't want it falling backwards. I've got my NS 88 that weighs 40 pounds as the anchor board. Depending on how solid it feels or doesn't, I could also make a support riser that goes from the floor up to the back of the stand. As it is now, I've squeezed the Z stand into my bedroom, and am already walking around things!

As you say, you can put various things like a mic and iPad holder into the stand. I was thinking that if there was an attachment that allowed me to put a board between 2 supports, with the right attachment/bracket I'd be able to bring the speakers forward and angled slightly downward to combat tippiness. It would need to rise up a minimum of 9", preferably 12", so the Pa1000 speakers have enough room to sound

If you use stands with adjustable tripod feet could you squeeze them in? The advantage being that maybe their footprint can overlap with the Z stand's more.

Not really. If you look at these from SW,

On-Stage Stands SMS-6000-P

the base is 18"! And tripods wouldn't be any better, they'd have to have a very large footprint to have stability. I really can't add to my footprint in my bedroom

So yeah, I was hoping to devise a way to use off-the-shelf hardware (mic mounts, laptop mounts) meant for the Z stand, and somehow put together a 3d tier that would have a board across the supports to hold the monitor speakers, and if need be, I could do some bracing from the 2d tier to the floor to keep it all from falling over.

Something like this might work:

On-Stage MSA-6000

if it was attached to

On-Stage KSA 7575

They even show a studio monitor on top of the MSA-6000 in a pic on their website

Problem with this setup

- the KSA 7575 only rises 6", barely enough to clear the speakers on my top board

- the KSA 7575 operates according to the angle of the 2d tier, soif I have the top board at an angle, the monitor stand would be as well

- the monitor stand only supports 12 pounds

Here's a photo of a couple of modifications I made to my 18880:

First, in order to keep the top keyboard angled, I screwed in a plastic "foot" on the end of each bar. This keeps the top keyboard from slipping down and there's no need to use those huge pins that hold the top keyboard (and get in the way of playing the lower keyboard).

Second, I added a piece of a broom handle (painted black), secured with a rounded washer, which provides a rounded and elevated attachment for my iPad holder.

340.thumb.jpg.b420f6b4cf9f04117221967133da89e5.jpg

Yamaha Montage M6, Nord Stage 4 - 88, Hammond SK-Pro 73, Yamaha YC-73, Mainstage, Yamaha U1 Upright

If you use stands with adjustable tripod feet could you squeeze them in? The advantage being that maybe their footprint can overlap with the Z stand's more.

Not really. If you look at these from SW,

On-Stage Stands SMS-6000-P

the base is 18"! And tripods wouldn't be any better, they'd have to have a very large footprint to have stability. I really can't add to my footprint in my bedroom

Well, this tripod: https://on-stage.com/products/view/12662 claims 12.5 inch "base spread" (I'm not sure exactly what they mean by that.) You might be able to pass one of the legs over a bottom leg of the z-stand to make the arrangement more compact.

If you have the same On-stage Z-stand I have, the width is adjustable. The way mine is set up right now, my bottom board extends about a foot to each side of the stand, so in theory a stand that took up a foot to the side of the stand wouldn't actually extend any further to the sides than my bottom board.