Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official MLB 2019 Thread

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to davedoerfler and the rest of our Nats fans. It'll be exciting to see the World Series return to Washington D.C. for the first time in 86 years.

Condolences to Dave Ferris and the rest of our Cardinals fans. Your team may have been swept, but their storied history is tough to beat.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Yeah we gave 'em hell huh ? We go from scoring a record 10 runs in an inning, add a field goal to 3 runs in four games ? :rolleyes::facepalm:

But in reality- if you're going to lose, might as well make no doubt about it. I think it's worse when you lose close games. This series has been a total joke, not even close !

The Nationals never trailed, not even for a pitch. They scored first in every game in this series and never lost the lead. That being said, St. Louis is "The" classiest organization in MLB, owners of 11 World Series titles.

:nopity:

So I guess there are neither Yankees nor Astros fans here? :idk:

Being from NY and having grown up a Mets fan, I'm not a fan of either. I'm just surprised there's been no talk about that series.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The Nationals will have had such a long break by the time Game 1 of the WS rolls around, it's probably a challenge for them to stay sharp. Even so, I'm guessing this is will be a significant advantage for them. The Nationals are in the postseason in very large part because of their starting rotation, and starting pitchers probably benefit the most from extra rest in October. It would be great to see an Astros/Nationals WS just for the starting pitcher matchups: Verlander v Scherzer, Cole v Strasburg, etc. But we already know the Astros, if they make it, will have to tire out their starters to get their while the Nationals rest their arms.

On the other hand, a NY v DC matchup has a certain cultural/geographic intrigue. DC is such an odd place to begin with, so many folks being transient political types, it lacks an identifiable cultural identity. I lived there for 7 years a long time ago (pre-Nationals).

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

So I guess there are neither Yankees nor Astros fans here? :idk:

Being from NY and having grown up a Mets fan, I'm not a fan of either. I'm just surprised there's been no talk about that series.

I grew up in New Jersey a diehard Yankees fan. From Bobby Murcer to Thurman Munson to Don Mattingly. When I moved south and could no longer see their games or go to The Stadium I watched the only team I could see regularly, the Braves, on TBS. Once I moved to Atlanta they became my #1 team. The heart wants what the heart wants, as they say, and the Yankees always have a place there. So I"m rooting for them to win #28. It would also keep their streak alive of at least 1 American League pennant each decade since the 1920s. I think they won 8 in the 1950s. Lol!

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I was hoping to see Scherzer and Verlander go head to head, but looks like that won't happen, at least not until late in the series.

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

Astros clearly the better team on paper. But as has been widely noted, this World Series features several of the most dominant starting pitchers in the game. In terms of variables that will favor one team or the other, much depends on the starters' performances, because even the best starting pitcher can stink on any particular day. If Scherzer, Strasbourg, and Corbin are at their best, this could easily swing to the Nats.

Astros clearly the better team on paper. But as has been widely noted, this World Series features several of the most dominant starting pitchers in the game. In terms of variables that will favor one team or the other, much depends on the starters' performances, because even the best starting pitcher can stink on any particular day. If Scherzer, Strasbourg, and Corbin are at their best, this could easily swing to the Nats.

Throwaway, total guess prediction: Kurt Suzuki is going to have a World Series moment.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Throwaway, total guess prediction: Kurt Suzuki is going to have a World Series moment.

the way he called last night's game with Max not having his best stuff and Houston's batters just grinding and grinding already gets him an unsung hero's award

¯\_(ã)_/¯

¯\_(ã)_/¯

Now you're having one. How do you keep this momentum going? Buy some stocks maybe? Or just quite while ahead?

espn reports that Game 1 had one of lowest TV audiences in recent times. Game 2 was apparently better. Could it be people are distracted by that other Washington DC competition?

espn reports that Game 1 had one of lowest TV audiences in recent times. Game 2 was apparently better. Could it be people are distracted by that other Washington DC competition?

you lived here Rocco so you know it's a small market. Were it the Dodgers or Cubs playing the Astro's there would be a larger TV audience

Yep. I'm sure the broadcasting executives were dreaming of a NY-LA world series. There's quite a few teams that have appeal beyond their regular-season market. These are the teams with a storied pasts, teams about which you can say "my grandad saw them in the world series." But the Astros and Nats are not in that group. The Astros may be building their "storied past" right now, but to most folks outside Texas they're still thought of as a start up that wore shockingly bad uniforms for too many years.

¯\_(ã)_/¯

Now you're having one. How do you keep this momentum going? Buy some stocks maybe? Or just quite while ahead?

I kind of felt it. Suzuki was a well-regarded guy in the Braves clubhouse for a few years - they should have kept him instead of Tyler Flowers - and he was due for a career moment. I also predicted Ryan Zimmerman"s home run, as soon as I found out that he was the active player with the most at bats who had never appeared in the World Series.

I gotta believe the Astros aren"t going to get swept, so Houston 5-3 over the Nats tonight.

Harper to the Phillies. :facepalm:

I wonder how he feels watching his former teammates up 2-0 in the World Series.

When I don't have a horse in the race, I really enjoy watching the underdog win. Here's hoping the Nationals can score another victory tonight at home. :cool:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Harper to the Phillies. :facepalm:

I wonder how he feels watching his former teammates up 2-0 in the World Series.

I would bet he is conflicted. As a competitor, he would want to still be playing baseball, for sure. As a family guy, he got 20 million dollars before the ink was dry when he signed his contract, with lots more to come.

Phillies are going to be very good next year, and they just signed Joe Girardi as their manager for the next three years. Hope is not lost for Harper.