Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

keyboard grease

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

White lithium grease.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I have to say I'm shocked to learn that keyboard actions rely on or require grease at all. I would not have thought the friction needed to overcome would be nearly great enough to require it.

Some use it for lubricant. Standard on the polymer bushings for Pratt-Read keybeds (US keyboards) before the mid-1980s.

Some use it for "resistance" to simulate a weighted piano action. Quite common for DPs.

I don't believe Kronos is like a car, needing grease, etc.

Why do you feel your Kronos needs this work ? Is it DIY stuff on your part ?

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I have to say I'm shocked to learn that keyboard actions rely on or require grease at all. I would not have thought the friction needed to overcome would be nearly great enough to require it.

Anywhere that you have two surfaces rubbing together, a lubricant will help prolong the life of that joint.

Grease and plastics can be tricky because you can have issues where certain grease types may weaken the plastic or cause dimensional changes (swelling). Have you tried contacting Korg to see if they'd divulge what lube they're using?

I think a silicone-based grease would probably be a safe bet: Lubrication tips for plastics and gears

It started with a droopy black key (bent hammer), and some keybed noise (worn and damaged felts) After 8 years everything is pretty dirty. I figured while it's all apart I'd clean and regrease.

Things are currently greased-moving parts with close tolerances require it I suppose. I did reach out to Korg, haven't yet heard. I do know some lubricants would not be appropriate because they don't play well with rubber/plastics.

The silicone base probably is the right idea. I was hoping that someone here had first hand experience with something that worked well.

cheers-

ps MAJUSCULE-sorry about that

It started with a droopy black key (bent hammer), and some keybed noise (worn and damaged felts) After 8 years everything is pretty dirty. I figured while it's all apart I'd clean and regrease.

Things are currently greased-moving parts with close tolerances require it I suppose. I did reach out to Korg, haven't yet heard. I do know some lubricants would not be appropriate because they don't play well with rubber/plastics.

The silicone base probably is the right idea. I was hoping that someone here had first hand experience with something that worked well.

cheers-

I think you posted the same question on the Kronos forum last week.

If so, my answer is similar here. I would expect some wear on felts.

Some key bed noise is normal. [ this has to be defined]

it appears your K has heavy wear. Mine is 8 yrs old. I don't understand ' pretty dirty ' ? Huh ? Like lots of dust and pet hair ?

Anyway, not all key beds are created equal. I think you should follow what Korg advises and/or what Korg auth service proposes.

[70's Songwriter]

I thought this thread was gonna be about Jimmy McGriff or Shirley Scott or someone like that.

I thought it might be eating pizza over a keyboard plus whatever beverages ;)

[70's Songwriter]

White lithium grease.

everything I've read says not to use that-it dries out and causes other problems. Have you personally used it and had a different experience?

Get the bike kind that has additives that make it last longer.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I"ve used silicon divers" grease, made for scuba fittings and widely used in airguns, like pellet or BB guns.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

cheers-

I think you posted the same question on the Kronos forum last week.

If so, my answer is similar here. I would expect some wear on felts.

Some key bed noise is normal. [ this has to be defined]

it appears your K has heavy wear. Mine is 8 yrs old. I don't understand ' pretty dirty ' ? Huh ? Like lots of dust and pet hair ?

Anyway, not all key beds are created equal. I think you should follow what Korg advises and/or what Korg auth service proposes.

That wasn't me on the Korg forum, although I did look around there. It's my gigging board-it gets bounced around on a truck-it does outdoor shows, etc. It's dusty, bits of fuzz, and actually dirty, like the sides of the keys are somewhat black, etc. Regarding the keybed it's worn in the middle, meaning it feels and sounds different in the center of the keyboard.

Ledbetter-that might be a good call

Jazz+-I was thinking of using something called "Slick Honey" that I use on my bike. The consistency is very much like what's on there.

Dow Corning #7 silicone lubricant is what was recommended to me to lube the Model D's Pratt-Read action. A little goes a long way.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Silicone Lubricant... you can find it at any automotive shop. and "A little goes a long way" is an understatement. The applicators for these tend to push out the grease in bursts, so you gotta be very spare. I've done a lot of repair work on my Fatar beds, and grease is very good to use. I often wash my keys when removing them, to clean them of particulates that tend to build up in the bars I play at. But that removes the grease, so I need to re-apply it.

Spring action beds don't require grease, so unweighted players are likely unfamiliar with the practice. But if you look up any tech sheet on keybed maintenance, they'll recommend it.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Silicone Lubricant... you can find it at any automotive shop. and "A little goes a long way" is an understatement. The applicators for these tend to push out the grease in bursts, so you gotta be very spare...

#7 comes in a small toothpaste-like tube. I used a cotton swab to apply it to the bushings. There's still 99.999 percent left in the tube. Maybe more.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it