Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

One sound guy's perspective on keys

3rdAct

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually end up doing sound for my amateur band, though a) I really have no idea what I'm doing, b) I'm usually too busy playing anyway.

I've occasionally wondered if I wouldn't get better results by just posting the wifi information for my mixer and inviting the audience to go at it....

I usually end up doing sound for my amateur band, though a) I really have no idea what I'm doing, b) I'm usually too busy playing anyway.

I've occasionally wondered if I wouldn't get better results by just posting the wifi information for my mixer and inviting the audience to go at it....

:) lol ...

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Possible... But I already have a hard time getting the sound guy to set the keys' volume appropriately -- if the audience does the mix, the only thing coming out of the PA might be vocals and lead guitar! :D

All of these sound guy threads just make me feel so fortunate at the general caliber of sound guys around here. Everybody has a story, but I just feel like most of them I've dealt with in the last 15 years or so have been really awesome. Sometimes I wish they had cut my keys from the mix when I had some clams. Even lighting guys have put spots on me during solos.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Immediately thought of this thread when I saw this story about mixing your own sound at gigs:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-50045249/elton-john-app-lets-concert-audiences-mix-his-music

This short blurb then leads to a video (for more info?)... which I didn't watch.

Maybe they explain it in the video... but HOW ON EARTH do you pull this off with everybody in the audience (who wants to) having access to the soundboard?

Or, does each person in the audience use headphones or ear-buds for their own private mix?

If so, what's the point in being at a live event if you don't listen to the LIVE music, but a manipulated private version of it?

Seems weird.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M