Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What effect is on the B3 in Timebomb by Rancid?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I only hear Leslie and not much overdrive really. It is miked with bright mikes, more like 414s than 57s for example, but could be any of many open sounding mikes. Probably EQed in the mix that way as well, but I hear no other effect.

Is the Leslie slower than usual on fast speed?

A real Leslie doesn't have a consistent "usual" fast speed. The factors that make one Leslie spin and sound different from another are numerous.

Well I'm lost then. So, you think 180 degrees on the mics? Is the Leslie slower than usual on fast speed?

Maybe it's the drawbars I can't figure out then.

I think it's the hard-pan you're noticing.

Can you elaborate? How could I replicate that?

Another vote for close miking. The organ solo ended pretty quickly, but I suspect that the drawbars, instead of the "usual" 88 800 0000, are more like 85 462 5226 or something -- lots of bright octaves, subdued mutation drawbars.

I would have posited a Farfisa Compact through the leslie, but there is a definite 5-1/3' stop in the last, slow leslie note of the organ solo.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Well I'm lost then. So, you think 180 degrees on the mics? Is the Leslie slower than usual on fast speed?

Maybe it's the drawbars I can't figure out then.

I think it's the hard-pan you're noticing.

Can you elaborate? How could I replicate that?

Normally, you have a Leslie horn mic'ed in Stereo with the mics aimed at the horn from roughly 90° apart (sometimes reinforced with an additional mic from a distance), and then panned fairly close to one another to position the instrument somewhere in the sound stage.

In this case, it sounds to me like the mics are on opposite sides of the Leslie, and the signals are hard-panned full left and full right across the mix.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio