Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Killer pickin and grinnin

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great stuff y'all!!! Some goodies below, enjoy!!

Gotta have some Chet and Jerry.

Ricky Skaggs, Albert Lee, Mark O'Connor and a killer band

Vince Gill, Albert Lee and Danny Gatton

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I hear a lot of Tommy Emmanuel in the Richard Smith performance...Tommy is another Chet (and Jerry and Merle) protégé. I've been lucky enough to see him 2 times. I hope every guitar player gets to see him at least once. I'm ready for another Tommy fix. Thanks for sharing Richard Smith with us and I'll try to catch him if he comes to town! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I hear a lot of Tommy Emmanuel in the Richard Smith performance...Tommy is another Chet (and Jerry and Merle) protégé. I've been lucky enough to see him 2 times. I hope every guitar player gets to see him at least once. I'm ready for another Tommy fix. Thanks for sharing Richard Smith with us and I'll try to catch him if he comes to town! :cool:

Richard and Tommy are friends and there are quite a few videos of them playing together. Fantastic, both of them.

There is also a video on YouTube of an 11 year old Richard Smith playing on national television with Chet Atkins and doing very well.

He has an excellent show, a reminder to me to stay humble!!!

+1,000 on staying humble...each time I've seen Tommy, I wanted to go home, throw all my guitars in a big pile and burn the LOL! :cool:

I sort of felt that way the first time I saw the Dixie Dregs with Steve Morse.

I am practical though, I would have sold them.

Except for me, music is a form of conversation and I have my own things to say. So I've kept on going.

The infinite nature of music makes it a wonderful lifetime challenge!!!

Cheers, Kuru

each time I've seen Tommy, I wanted to go home, throw all my guitars in a big pile and burn them LOL! :cool:

I had that same feeling when I saw Roy Buchanan play for the first time. I went home and picked up my guitar, played a few licks and said to myself what the heck am I trying to do. After a few days, I perked back up and started stealing licks from Roy's albums. In fact Roy is the one and only guitarist that I ever tried to copy note for note. I did get the beginning of 5 String Blues down pat,

and in fact I use that type of beginning on one of my originals (but in a much lower key) I also once knew the part starting at 2:27 and ending at 3:56 of The Messiah Will Come Again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgOLDAWu6OY. I saw him do both live on his first national tour in a little venue in Wildwood New Jersey. There were only about 50 people in the room that night, and he was billed second on the bill, and I am almost positive the room was filled with guitar players and musicians. He stunned us all to silence that night. We all just sat there in total awe of his ability. I went there with 2 recent graduates of Berklee School of Music, and on the one hour ride home there was stunned silence in my pickup truck, when we stopped at the New Gretna toll plaza, one of the other musicians went "whew". and not another sound from anyone until the goodnights a half hour later..

I don't remember the year but I went to a show - Deep Purple, Fleetwood Mac and Rory Gallagher. Rory put his tweed Twin on a folding chair, cranked up and started blazing away.

As good as the other bands were, he stole the show.

+1 Kuru, Rory Gallagher is not well know but he is just flat great! Along with many others getting posted on this thread! :cool:

+1 DBM, Roy Buchanan is well worth taking the time to learn note for note...great licks if you can keep up with him LOL! I loved this clip at the end of the Departed movie:

[video:youtube]

:cool:

Take care, Larryz

+1 DBM, Roy Buchanan is well worth taking the time to learn note for note...great licks if you can keep up with him LOL! I loved this clip at the end of the Departed movie:

Sweet Dreams, that version came off of his first album just entitled Roy Buchanan, I had that one wore out and replaced several times, and the same for his Second Album as well. I listened to those albums every day several times over, for quite a few years.

I saw Vince Gill last year with the Eagles and he was very good. I imagine he would be even better outside of the confines of the Eagles and having to share the stage with Joe Walsh, whom I also liked.

I almost neglected Deacon Fry who I also liked.

I think Vince fit in very well with the Eagles. I just watched a you tube video of them doing Take It To The Limit, and they smoked it. The Eagles were always a great band and I think Vince added to them something that they would be missing without the old group as it was. He brought it back to top shelf stuff. I hope he makes a bundle of bread from this new version of The Eagles. Vince deserves it, as do all the others in the band.

+1 on Vince taking a part in the Eagles legacy...and speaking of Joe Walsh, here's a little ditty by him and a couple of buds doing a take on a George Harrison tune While My Guitar Gently Weeps, with Paul and Ringo in the audience: a great rendition!

[video:youtube]

Take care, Larryz

That is awesome. I think I have made my feelings about Gary Clark Jr before, I believe he is the best guitarist of his generation. I caught a glimpse of another of my favourites in the audience, Keith Urban. I wish I knew where it was from, I'd like to see more.

I really liked the way Vince, Joe, and Deacon worked together. It was like they had been together forever. They shared the leads and rhythm.

Jenny S.

+1 on Vince taking a part in the Eagles legacy...and speaking of Joe Walsh, here's a little ditty by him and a couple of buds doing a take on a George Harrison tune While My Guitar Gently Weeps, with Paul and Ringo in the audience: a great rendition

Nice work Gary, Joe, and Dave Grohl I liked that one a bunch.