Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Multiple midi controllers / Setup

Hello guys,

I'm sorry for all these recents questions !

I want to use my Nord Electro and Roland A800 as controllers for Omnisphere/Keyscape (and maybe others).

What equipement should I use ? Do I need an audio interface ? Should I go midi or USB ?

I'm pretty much lost with that !

Thank you

PS : I've checked on Youtube and Google and I don't really find the answers I'm looking for

Nord Electro 6D / Prophet Rev2/ Digitakt / Minilogue / Keyscape -

New video :

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need a sound interface to connect the laptop's in(s) to your keyboards out(s).

As you plan to use two keyboards as controllers, you will be needing a sound interface with two ins (unless your Roland has also USB port...). Nord is mandatory midi (it's IS connection is for uploading sounds from the Clavia site only)

With a good sound interface it's gonna be pretty simple to run whatever soft synth from your two keyboards

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I'm sure there's more than one way to do it.

Do you have a Mac or PC?

Will this be used live or in a home or studio environment?

Generally speaking, I'd recommend an Audio Interface, some way to connect both MIDI controllers to the host computer (MIDI 5-pin for the Nord and either MIDI or USB for the Roland), and possibly some kind of central DAW or VST host application on the computer.

Setup in and out ports on the VST Host / DAW so it sees the controllers coming in and the audio going out to the Audio Interface. For a PC you may need to install drivers for the interface for the computer to communicate with it.

Setup Omni/Keys as a MIDI destination in the VST Host / DAW and route one or both controller inputs to that.

Run the outs from the audio interface to powered speakers or something like that.

EDITED: Based on Yannis' post

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

You need a sound interface to connect the laptop's in(s) to your keyboards out(s).

Not necessarily. No sound is going from the keyboards to the computer. MIDI is, and an interface may or may not be needed for that. SInce both boards send MIDI over USB, they could be able to both be plugged directly into the computer (with enough free USB ports, or a hub). Audio out may require an interface... not necessarily on a Mac, but almost certainly on a PC.

Nord is mandatory midi (it's IS connection is for uploading sounds from the Clavia site only)

Recent models do MIDI over USB, and OP has the current Electro 6.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I"d run a racked interface ( could be shelved, without ears) just for the gig worthy I/O. Last thing I"d want to do is break a jack. Murphy loves to mess with shit.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I have a mac !

Look at this guy, he doesn't seem to have an audio interface ?

That's because he's using 4 controllers (3 keyboards and one control surface) that use USB-MIDI.

You are not using those types of keyboards, so it's not the same. However, assuming your Roland A800 is the black A800Pro, then this is dead easy.

Connect MIDI OUT from the Nord to MIDI IN on the Roland A800Pro.

Set MIDI MERGE switch to ON

Connect USB from Roland to Mac

Set your Nord's MIDI channel to any channel that is different from the Roland's channel.

Now, this will get the two keyboards sending their MIDI data to the computer over a single USB cable. The next part can get tricky.

Given that you're intending on doing this live, I recommend something like Mainstage, Gig Performer, or a similar live Virtual Instrument host application. This will allow you to run numerous virtual instruments (ie. Omnisphere, Keyscape, etc) at the same time, and route signals where you want, when you want. The specifics of this are beyond the scope of this post, but there are LOTS of tutorials out there for those software solutions.

If you want to test this without spending any money on new software, then run both Omnisphere and Keyscape. Set one to the MIDI Channel that the Nord is transmitting on, the other to the MIDI Channel the Roland is transmitting on. Now each virtual instrument will be played by a different keyboard.

That's the basics. Good luck.

* Edited to add: you are a LONG way away from being ready to use this live. Don't even think about taking this on a gig in the next 30 days or more. Trust me, this is experience talking.

** Edited again to add link to A800Pro manual: Clonk here.

I have a mac !

That's because he's using 4 controllers (3 keyboards and one control surface) that use USB-MIDI.

You are not using those types of keyboards

1. Yes, he is using those type of keyboards, if by that you mean ones that can do MIDI over USB. But your solution is still a good one.

2. Regardless, that has nothing to do with whether he needs an audio interface. The variable of USB vs. MIDI connection determines whether he needs to use a MIDI interface (which may or may not be included as part of an audio interface, and can certainly be purchased by itself apart form any audio interface).

My experience is that you can run a Mac without an audio interface, whereas a PC will have unacceptable latency unless you add an audio interface. But I can't swear that every possible hardware/software configuration will follow that rule (and people's threshold of "unacceptable" latency differs as well).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have a mac !

You are not using those types of keyboards, so it's not the same. However, assuming your Roland A800 is the black A800Pro, then this is dead easy.

Connect MIDI OUT from the Nord to MIDI IN on the Roland A800Pro.

Set MIDI MERGE switch to ON

Connect USB from Roland to Mac

Set your Nord's MIDI channel to any channel that is different from the Roland's channel.

Now, this will get the two keyboards sending their MIDI data to the computer over a single USB cable. The next part can get tricky.

Given that you're intending on doing this live, I recommend something like Mainstage, Gig Performer, or a similar live Virtual Instrument host application. This will allow you to run numerous virtual instruments (ie. Omnisphere, Keyscape, etc) at the same time, and route signals where you want, when you want. The specifics of this are beyond the scope of this post, but there are LOTS of tutorials out there for those software solutions.

If you want to test this without spending any money on new software, then run both Omnisphere and Keyscape. Set one to the MIDI Channel that the Nord is transmitting on, the other to the MIDI Channel the Roland is transmitting on. Now each virtual instrument will be played by a different keyboard.

That's the basics. Good luck.

* Edited to add: you are a LONG way away from being ready to use this live. Don't even think about taking this on a gig in the next 30 days or more. Trust me, this is experience talking.

** Edited again to add link to A800Pro manual: Clonk here.

Thanks heaps for this very nice summary - will be printing this off as it's the perfect explanation of what I need to do :thu:

Sigh... fine, Scott, you win. Later. :wave:

That's an odd way to say "thanks for the correction." Was there anything in my post that you thought was incorrect, or not beneficial for the OP to know?