Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Has anyone hear played in 5/4 time?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen several posts that say something to the effect of, "I wrote a 5/4 tune once." Frankly, this just seems weird to me. What do you mean "a" 5/4 tune? Just the one? Only one...ever? I've got numerous tunes that are in non-4/4 time and quite a few that bounce around between different meters. Granted, over the years I've marinated myself in the sorts of music that do that sort of thing, but I just don't see how someone can come up with a single 5/4 tune, dust their hands, then sit back and say that they were glad that they'd knocked that off their life list.

How the hell can you not pop out with a tune that goes 4/4, 6/4, 7/8, then back to 4/4 at least once a month or so? If I had to limit myself to 3/4 and 4/4, I'd never get anything done.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK_j2LE07G0

and then revisit here

[video:youtube]

I wonder where he is now.

:snax:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

.... Granted, over the years I've marinated myself in the sorts of music that do that sort of thing, but I just don't see how someone can come up with a single 5/4 tune, dust their hands, then sit back and say that they were glad that they'd knocked that off their life list.

Grey

ha ha ha..that was a good one!

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

I don't see what the big deal is.

I have played 54 times in a month often.

74 times ? I lose track, but that might take me 2 months. ;)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

How the hell can you not pop out with a tune that goes 4/4, 6/4, 7/8, then back to 4/4 at least once a month or so? If I had to limit myself to 3/4 and 4/4, I'd never get anything done.

Bingo, ever since I was in elementary school, I would write things in odd meters all the time. Often times I didn't even realize it until I would notate it later. I just wrote what felt natural, only to find out later, "holy shit, this doesn't fall into conventional notation norms". One of my favorite grooves is 5/4 alternating 6/4. To my ears it feels incredibly natural, and most people who listen to it don't even realize it, and then I show them the notation and they freak out.

Complex time signatures don't come from a decision to be weird, they (most of the time) come from organic internal grooves. The prevalence of 4/4 is often because more systematic writers begin with a very static template: this is the meter, this is the tempo, this is the key, this is the form... even before the material has been written.

However, the worst is probably the wanna-be proggers who start with, "Okay, I want to write something super progressive and technical". Usually the results are terrible and almost unlistenable. This is why even though I'm a huge progrock fan, I find most modern ProgMetal to be some of the worst shit in the world. It's so contrived. It has to be natural, it has to stem from an organic groove that you feel internally first, not just a decision to "write something hard".

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?