Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Steve Miller w/ The Roots on Fallon FLAE

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I record, but normally don't watch Fallon. I record Seth Meyers, and it will start usually at the end of Fallon, so I can see who the musical guest is.

So, I saw that Steve Miller was on, and watched the interview, and performance.

Enjoyed it very much.

A couple things I noticed.

James usually plays a Nord as his Hammond clone, but he used a B3 for that performance.

James was also given a lead during the song.

Easily my favorite version of the song to date.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Oh, Thank God; I clicked on this thinking it was going to be one of the Roots' performances with toy instruments. I was pleasantly disappointed.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

It definitely grooves.

I halfway watched for ideas on what to do for a solo in this tune, since I tend to go a little space-gospel on it and it feels clunky to me. But I have to be honest and say that Poyser's slightly proggy approach didn't really do much for me either. Overall, great groove and taste though.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Wonderful groove- they totally got the vibe of the song. The thing that surprised me was the guy doing the synth runs on whatever that pad controller was. I would've enjoyed seeing someone really working a Minimoog.... although he probably would've needed a handful to cover the different sounds. LOL

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Wonderful groove- they totally got the vibe of the song. The thing that surprised me was the guy doing the synth runs on whatever that pad controller was. I would've enjoyed seeing someone really working a Minimoog.... although he probably would've needed a handful to cover the different sounds. LOL

Yeah, the intro space sounds were cool. I wish I knew how the hell they did that? I wonder if they had the master and sampled it into..something? I know zip about controllers like that and how to do it, but it sounded great.

Yeah, the intro space sounds were cool. I wish I knew how the hell they did that? I wonder if they had the master and sampled it into..something? I know zip about controllers like that and how to do it, but it sounded great.

To me it looks like an Ableton Push controller or smth similar. I would imagine he's playing a soft synth via USB/MIDI with the controller, and the buttons are mapped kinda like the button side on the accordion.

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

Oh shit that was awesome. The Roots probably play it better than the Steve's backing band. That Hammond part isn't easy easy either.

Hmmmm.. Not so sure. The Roots did a great job (despite the horrible vocals mix). However, I've seen SMB twice in the last three years, and knock it outta the park on Fly Like an Eagle in terms of groove and jam.

Joseph Wooten, Steve's keys player since 1993, absolutely tears it up on the solo

Again, the Roots are a great band, especially their ability to learn all kinds of music quickly. I thought this performance good, but it seemed to lack something....and I don't know what it is.

Anyway just my $.02

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Oh shit that was awesome. The Roots probably play it better than the Steve's backing band. That Hammond part isn't easy easy either.

Hmmmm.. Not so sure. The Roots did a great job (despite the horrible vocals mix). However, I've seen SMB twice in the last three years, and knock it outta the park on Fly Like an Eagle in terms of groove and jam.

Joseph Wooten, Steve's keys player since 1993, absolutely tears it up on the solo

Again, the Roots are a great band, especially their ability to learn all kinds of music quickly. I thought this performance good, but it seemed to lack something....and I don't know what it is.

Anyway just my $.02

I've opened for them, well the original version and those guys are no joke. They are a lot more musical than people give them credit for. I don't think it was lacking anything. As I said there isn't a lot of prep time for these shows.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com