Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This week's challenge

I'm going to try recording my band in my living room this week. We're gonna try to capture audio and video to get source material for a demo reel.

We've invited about 30 friends to come and sit around the room, sort of like a Snarky Puppy family dinner type of vibe.

Should be interesting. :idk:

dB

289.thumb.jpg.5b1beb90ae742ffcb2d983861fdc5d5a.jpg

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The energy should be great, and I'd imagine fun, if everything is set beforehand so there's no last minute tech stuff.

The heart of the challenge, for sure.

We've been working with the rig for a while. Four mics for recording - the matched XY pair at the front of the room, the large diaphragm condenser near the fireplace (mainly to catch drums and bass), and the ribbon mic on the piano.

dB

That should be fun. I wish I could be there. I hope you get something great from it you can share!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

That should be fun. I wish I could be there. I hope you get something great from it you can share!

Me, too!!! :boing:

The idea isn't to capture whole songs so much as it is to get useable slices that we can make into a two minute compilation type of thing...but it'd be cool if we could get one or two that are good enough to share the complete tune.

My band is 4/5 industry folks - one from Fender, one from Blue Mics, one from Strymon and me. Suffice it to say that between us we've got a bit of gear... :D

dB

We've been working with the rig for a while. Four mics for recording - the matched XY pair at the front of the room, the large diaphragm condenser near the fireplace (mainly to catch drums and bass), and the ribbon mic on the piano.

In my experience the bleed into the acoustic piano mic is very difficult to deal with in the mix. As it turns out the lid of the piano is not only great at reflecting the sound of the piano into the room, but it"s also great at reflecting the sound of the room into the piano (and into the piano mic). To solve this I"ve played digital piano (that"s only heard in the headphones) while playing with the band and then replacing the digital piano track with an acoustic piano track that"s performed afterwards. Or, wrapping the piano with blankets (with the lid up) and recording live with the band. The second approach only works up to a certain band volume. Hope this helps.

We're actually not going for a multitrack type of thing. The room that we're in sounds amazing, and I want to try and catch the overall sound - hence the four way mic array.

We are taking a separate tap from the two lead singers, of course...but the rest is all about placement, mic choice and balance.

We have three sound systems in there. The two mismatched QSC cabs (K8, K12) on either side of the Hammond have my keys and the Soundelux piano mic in them. The two Line 6 cabs (one sitting on the Leslie, one behind the drums) have the vocals and acoustic guitars in them, and the JBL system in the front is being used as vocal monitors.

Everything is running into a snake which goes upstairs to the studio. I'm remotely monitoring and controlling the studio computer with the iPad next to my rig.

dB

295.thumb.jpg.8949fc21c9e243dc78360c7d5e4d0f81.jpg

296.thumb.jpg.f193d5cbbfbf4fe87d1811e3d91878cb.jpg

297.thumb.jpg.e5f73bf4e90f09edee8ea15fae801624.jpg

298.thumb.jpg.866e597b0cab876283382fdf36725551.jpg

We're actually not going for a multitrack type of thing. The room that we're in sounds amazing, and I want to try and catch the overall sound - hence the four way mic array.

We are taking a separate tap from the two lead singers, of course...but the rest is all about placement, mic choice and balance.

We have three sound systems in there. The two mismatched QSC cabs (K8, K12) on either side of the Hammond have my keys and the Soundelux piano mic in them. The two Line 6 cabs (one sitting on the Leslie, one behind the drums) have the vocals and acoustic guitars in them, and the JBL system in the front is being used as vocal monitors.

Everything is running into a snake which goes upstairs to the studio. I'm remotely monitoring and controlling the studio computer with the iPad next to my rig.

dB

Looks like a fun setup for sure. Is that a Siberian Husky in the third photo?

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Is that a Siberian Husky in the third photo?

Yes. :2thu:

dB

Nice! They're great dogs; I've had the pleasure of working with quite a few, mainly in the dog show world but also others. Got to admire the intelligence. Might have their own way of doing things sometimes but they watch you so closely. Sweeties.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Was this last night? How did it go?

How did you capture the drum kit?

It went very well.

We captured the kit with an LDC on one side and a ribbon mic on the other. The XY pair in the front of the room got the room sound really nicely.

I'll post video in Shameless Plugs shortly.

dB