Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sensational Benmont Interview

I'm not familiar with this show, and I don't think it's been mentioned here, but this interview with Benmont is really fantastic. Long! Almost and hour and a half. Covers gear, music, stories......amazing. It was done this summer before the final tour. The guy is so cool.....

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Being about the same age I have found I have a lot in common with Benmont. I started playing out actively in 1968 (also with older folks in an established band after they all returned from Woodstock). I had been in bands though since the 3rd grade with school mates 1963-64 1st on Trumpet then accordion then organ/piano. I went through the same combo organ phase pretty much and also learned the whole solo to Light My Fire in 1967-68 for Teen Club dances and battle of the bands! He really pretty much captures the vibe of those times keyboard player wise. Thank god someone is there to tell the stories like he does, he's very articulate about it also! :2thu:

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I also played Light My Fire at teen clubs. In 1967 a girl in my class excitedly exclaims "Barry can play the long version."

In 2007, my niece (great vocalist) hears me on my parent's home Wurlitzer. She excitedly exclaims "Barry can play the long version."

The more things change...

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

I also played Light My Fire at teen clubs. In 1967 a girl in my class excitedly exclaims "Barry can play the long version."

In 2007, my niece (great vocalist) hears me on my parent's home Wurlitzer. She excitedly exclaims "Barry can play the long version."

The more things change...

Hey Barry Yeah!... If you could play the long version in those days you were in like Flint... Light My Fire was enormous. We're in the LMF (long version) club ... all of us including Benmont! Our reputations were sealed with that!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

• 2 years later...
Zombie thread alert (happy Halloween) -- I just watched this video again and it drove home what a North star Benmont is as a musician and as a person. In a different interview of his I've heard, he said "make human music for human beings." Full of down-to-earth wisdom, that man.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Both those guys are dicks especially the bald one. I have heard their radio show a bunch of times and they put a lot of people down and have said some uncool things. Typical douchebag hiding behind a radio program.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

(Goes without saying that Benmont is great and I look forward to checking out the interview.)

Meanwhile, I can play "the long version" of the piano solo in Light My Fire, but I have always choked on being able to cop the piano parts that then happen under the guitar solo.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Take this with a grain of salt. When I listen to live recordings of Tom Petty over the years there is a steady lowering of the volume of the keyboards and increasing of the volume of the guitars. What started as a band with a strong keyboard base ends up with a band with, well you do your own listening. Not blaming. It"s a sign of the times.

Take this with a grain of salt. When I listen to live recordings of Tom Petty over the years there is a steady lowering of the volume of the keyboards and increasing of the volume of the guitars. What started as a band with a strong keyboard base ends up with a band with, well you do your own listening. Not blaming. It"s a sign of the times.

I would attribute that to Jeff Lynne starting to work with the band. He and Tom would micro-assemble songs and the live band vibe evaporated. It's a primary reason that Stan left the band.

Moe

---

Thanks for posting. Haven't seen this. Class act, tasteful as one can possibly be in a rock band. I can't even count how many sessions I've done, where the directions were "Do what Benmont would do."

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

I would attribute that to Jeff Lynne starting to work with the band. He and Tom would micro-assemble songs and the live band vibe evaporated. It's a primary reason that Stan left the band.

Jeff Lynne should just go away.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com