Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Reverb, anyone? [Re: Anderton] #3017278 11/25/19 02:42 AM
GovernorSilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I'm more than happy to just read what you professionals are using. But since you asked Mr. Anderton, here are my favorites

Eventide H9 Blackhole algorithm - doesn't even try to be a "natural" reverb. Very in your face about not being "natural", and one of the reason I love it.

Boss Katana Plate - my favorite of the reverbs available in this popular working muso's guitar amp. Somebody posted a collection of ambient patches for Katana and they all used Plate rather than the other reverb types. Versatile enough for uses from basic practice amp usage to super long trails and such.

Empress Zoia - Actually haven't found a reverb in this little modular pedal that I didn't like. Some peeps make much ado about how the Ghost reverb consumes so much CPU but there are a lot of great Zoia (imo) patches that do NOT use Ghost and still sound awesome.

QES Retrofier Roadtripper MCM Spring - my favorite of all the real spring reverbs I've tried, and the only one that I think sounds good with electric violin. All other spring reverbs I've tried - real and virtual - insert ringing tones that ring in the wrong way for electric violin.

Last edited by GovernorSilver; 11/25/19 02:42 AM.
Re: Reverb, anyone? [Re: Anderton] #3018009 12/01/19 02:51 AM
Mighty Motif Max Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
Just picked up Abbey Road Chambers yesterday on a Black Friday deal. The demos sound good, and I've just been using the stock Cubase reverb (Roomworks) up until now.

Yamaha: Motif XF8/YS200/CVP-305/CLP-130/YPG-235/PSR-295/PSS-470
Korg: Krome 61
Roland: JV-1000
Casio: CT-370
Kimball Valencia/Broadway/Conn 465 w/144 spkrs/WCOC Reed Organ/Titano Virtuoso Converter
Re: Reverb, anyone? [Re: Anderton] #3018045 12/01/19 04:31 PM
Anderton Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Abbey Road Chambers is fantastic. I fell in love with it immediately for getting "that" drum sound. It's not a diaphanous reverb; it has a somewhat thick sound, which is ideal for some situations. Also note they require a lot of CPU. This is a situation where it's likely you'll be using a reverb bus, instead of inserting on individual tracks...although the bus is also a more "authentic" approach.

It may seem like the options for editing are limited (after all, it is a convolution reverb), but make sure you try the different speakers and room positions. Those settings can make a major difference in the sound.

Re: Reverb, anyone? [Re: Anderton] #3018048 12/01/19 04:53 PM
Anderton Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
FWIW...the drums on this song use only Abbey Road Chambers. I think it's pretty representative of the kind of sound you can get from the 'verbs.

Re: Reverb, anyone? [Re: Anderton] #3018097 12/02/19 02:52 AM
David Emm Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I used to traditionally stack grainy hardware reverbs to overcome their lacks and I've had some ART and Lexicon time, so I understand the span of the options. I'm considering the Eventide Blackhole plug, but with Logic's Space Designer being a convolution reverb, I find tweaking it to be perfectly satisfying. It winds up on the Master send quite a bit. SilverVerb and EnVerb do insert duty nicely, so its like a far more sane version of the "Good" Old Days, when I'd run a Roland half-rack reverb through an Inbanez pedal and pretend the gritty whoosh was intentional wind effects. Logic's channel strips have spoiled me. As a result, I'm more busy convincing myself that I need a new VA synth than auditioning reverbs.

"Its like catching an evangelist in a whore house. That was the best Christmas ever." ~ "Futurama"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Anderton