Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

iOS & Android App suggestions

I'm thinking about adding a tablet to my arsenal of sound sources. I understand that I'll have to get the interface set up, and I'm prepared to do that.

What I need is an idea of some synth apps that might be useful

I have an iPad pro AND Galaxy 10 Android tablet

My main genre is classic rock

I already have good piano, have a Hammond, good Rhodes, Clav, Horns. Looking for more orchestral, and analog synth sounds

Any help is greatly appreciated

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been buying apps since the iPad 3 was new, so maybe 7 years?

Anyway, after spending thousands (gulp), I would say the most easiest to use and best sounding (i.e., apps that I use routinely) would be:

1. Korg Module (lots of in-app purchases).

- good for bread and butter sounds (piano, organ, synth, etc.), and good set-list option.

2. iSEM, an Oberheim clone.

- It is the best sounding "synth" app to me (but I had an Oberheim 4-voice back in teh 80's, so some of that might just be longing for the past).

3. ForScore

- great app for organizing your own chord charts.

4. iReal Pro.

- great program with thousands of chord charts available for playing all sorts of styles.

5. AUM and/or Audiobus 3.

- both of these act like "mixers" that let you play multiple iOS apps and mix them together.

6. Beatmaker 2 (not 3).

- The built in sampler/sample player is worth the entire app, great way to get samples added to your rig.

7. Samplr.

- Old, but still one of the most "original" iOS apps that is its own instrument. Nothing else really like it.

OK, other than several effect apps that I have not listed, those are the "must haves" come off the top of my head. I'm sure others will pitch in with more!

Enjoy, iOS apps are a lot of fun, but beware - lots of $20 purchases can start to add up pretty fast!

Roy

I tried the free Korg module, and the piano sounded pretty good. But that was all I got with the free version. I tend to do the free versions first, then buy when I am convinced it is worth it to me.

Still not sure if I want to go with iOS, or Android, since I have both.

My iPad Pro is a 9.7, and my android a 10

Willie Dixon

iOS is better than Android for real-time MIDI apps. Less latency, more to choose from, and a variety of ways apps can work together.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

My experience is that you can get good enough latency with Android Apps, but both the App and the device have to be capable of it. My Pixel 2 can do it, my Galaxy Tab S3 couldn't, last I checked (but that was a while ago). And I've never found an app that both had low latency and was capable of doing much interesting. Would love to hear if anyone else has found something they've liked.

Latency is the one thing that I am very concerned about. I have tried to us a PC as a sound source, and the latency drove me nuts.

I am VERY sensitive to latency. I once had a setup where I used a Hammond XB-2 to trigger horn sounds on a Korg N364, connected with a 6 ft MIDI cable.

I could hear the latency with that connection. I may have only been a couple milliseconds, but I noticed the difference between usinf the Hammond keyboard and the Korg keyboard.

Willie Dixon

Latency is the one thing that I am very concerned about. I have tried to us a PC as a sound source, and the latency drove me nuts.

I am VERY sensitive to latency. I once had a setup where I used a Hammond XB-2 to trigger horn sounds on a Korg N364, connected with a 6 ft MIDI cable.

I could hear the latency with that connection. I may have only been a couple milliseconds, but I noticed the difference between usinf the Hammond keyboard and the Korg keyboard.

Latency among PCs varies a lot, you often have to tinker a bit to optimize it, but a well setup PC is likely to have less latency than an iPad. But you said you tried Korg Module... if you were okay with that amount of latency, that shows you can be fine with an iPad. Since you already own the iPad, I can see no reason to even consider the Android.

If you noticed latency connecting a hardware module to your Hammond, it could be that your Hammond was using a high (non-velocity sensing) trigger point for its internal organ sound, and the low (velocity sensing) trigger point just for the external sounds. Normally, no PC or iOS system would have less latency than connecting a hardware module directly to your board.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have Lorenz (somewhat a cs80 sound), Zeeon and Model 15 (and Animoog, but I don't really plan on using that one). Model 15 sounds really analog to me, Zeeon is really nice for 80s synth sounds...I wish the step sequencer saved with the patch, iirc it does not.

I have these for IOS. I might be using them live now that I have the MODX, which makes it easy to hook up and use an ipad (or computer for that matter). I don't notice any latency at all playing the ipad via the MODX though if I'm also playing MODX sounds at the same time I get notes being cut off on the ipad (not sure if this is a processor limit thing, polyphony thing or what).

I'm just getting started in the set up for the iPad. As of yet, I do not have an interface set up, so I don't know what kind of latency I would get. I was just going by the sound, and that was not really a good test at this point.

I use a Samsung 32" Flat screen for my computer monitor, and use the TV speakers to monitor the sound. I run a Tascam 428 interface, and come out of that to the TV.

In testing the sounds, I took the 1/8 plug going to the TV and just plugged it directly into the iPad. Not the best sound, but it gave me an idea of what it will sound like when going through my K10.

As far as the latency from the Hammond to the Korg, I could hear a time difference from when the key hit bottom on the Hammond to when the Korg spoke.

A while back I went into the studio, and they wanted me to use their setup with a controller connected to a VST. The latency was terrible, but they could not understand why it would bather me.

I brought my Yamaha in and recorded that.

I'm also having to figure out how to run this on stage. I have an Evolution 61 note controller with USB, but the question is where to put it on stage. I could also use my Yamaha MM8, as it has a USB connection as well.

As far as a step sequencer, only reason I would have to use that is if we played "Baba O'Riley" or "Don't get fooled again", and right now we don't have the drummer for that.

Speaking of which, anyone know where I could get those parts for the iPad? Of course, not for free.

Willie Dixon

I already have good piano, have a Hammond, good Rhodes, Clav, Horns. Looking for more orchestral, and analog synth sounds

orchestral: iSymphonic

synth: Model D; Synth One; Pure Synth Platinum

You might find that Pure Synth Platinum addresses more than one of your instrument needs and it"s AUv3, which loads as more than one instance into your host (AUM), has some nice real-world presets, and you can deep edit them once you get the hang of the interface (if you"re familiar with Neo Soul Studio it"s similar in design and scope).

Korg Module Pro is IAA and it can sound great â but can only be loaded one time. You"ve stated that you already have Hammond, Rhodes, Clav, which are the backbone of Module. The Ivory American add-on is very good, but so is Ravenscroft. I think if you"re just going to load Module once in order to get its AP, you might as well use Ravenscroft and leave the rest to Pure Synth Platinum.

If you"re going to only use one app, and play it as a standalone for a variety of instrument sounds then I"d probably just go with Korg Module. It loads fast, has good inherent sounds, and the extra in app purchases are worth the extra dough. I haven"t used the synth add-on so I don"t know if you"ll get the arpeggio functions you might need for your Who stuff. Strange but back in the day I just played"em with me fingers anyway.

Different possible solutions to differing approaches.

There are some informative websites for iOS music apps that have been valuable to me:

http://synthyfrog.com/technology-is-audiounit/type-is-instrument/

http://retronyms.com/audiounits/

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCDU1ULcAb0OMgv0Xi0CbYYw

Just my .76¢ CDN.

Here for the gear.

I'm just getting started in the set up for the iPad. As of yet, I do not have an interface set up, so I don't know what kind of latency I would get. I was just going by the sound, and that was not really a good test at this point.

As far as the latency from the Hammond to the Korg, I could hear a time difference from when the key hit bottom on the Hammond to when the Korg spoke.

So you tried Module just from tapping the iPad's on-screen keys? If you are so sensitive to latency that you were bothered by the latency to a hardware module connected directly to your controlling keyboard, I am not optimistic that you will be happy with the iPad as a sound source, at least for sounds that have a hard attack. Non-percussive orchestral sounds could still be okay, though.

Non-percussive orchestral sounds could still be okay, though.

That's part of the reason I was thinking of using it for orchestral sounds.

My MM8 is OK for orchestral sounds, but I'm looking for something different. Plus, I'm one of those guys that like to be able to just have the sounds coming from a different keyboard so I can just grab them when needed, rather than jump through hoops to get there

Willie Dixon

I'd think with the iPad Pro, you would have better overall performance/latency than myself using Module with an old iPad mini 2, and an iPad 5. If the iPad Pro is the version with Lightning connector, Korg's PlugKey provides connection to 5-pin MIDI, audio out to either a pair of 1/4" jacks or a 1/8" jack, and ability to charge the iPad with a Lightning cable and charger. Works well for me, my only complaint at all is I wish they had used a longer (and replaceable) Lightning connector between the PlugKey and iPad.

I have all of the in-app Module Pro purchases, except the most recent - the Ivory American Grand. a very broad pallet of different tones and textures, many of surprisingly good quality. I use Module about 90+% of the time. Others that I use include iFretless (bass guitar), Ravenscroft (acoustic piano), Animoog, ARP Odyssei, Galileo (Hammond/Leslie with drawbar control), Korg iM1, Minimoog Model D, and OnSong for charts and set lists (I use an old iPad 3 dedicated for OnSong now all the time in the praise band, and have a K&M iPad holder mic boomed on the Z stand).

I even have Module Pro on the iPhone 8+, but the extra real estate on the iPad screen is helpful. If I'm going to use sounds from iPad at church, I have both with me rather than trying to share everything on one - not as much futzing with different apps. Also use an Airturn Bluetooth dual pedal for page and song changes.

I have a total of 329 different factory patches (each of which has three variations), and have 22 of them loaded in the User Bank with some modifications, so they are next to each other and I can easily touch screen to change patches for the ones used most. Categories: Ivory 16, Wurley 14, Premier 16, Triton 100, 80's EP 30, Mellow (Mellotron) 20, KApro Orchestral Dreams 60, KApro Dreamy Synths 63, and Classic EP-88M 20. Those are on the older Mini, on the newest iPad, I've also configured several splits with the add-on that provides that capability. BTW, all of these will run on the oldest iPad 3, but the 30-pin connector comes out a lot easier than the Lightning connector, so I only use it for charging when running charts. I've had things up and running for up to 3 hours (including screen lit all the time) and only went from 100% to about 60% on the battery.

I have no real complaints with my PC2/PC3 there; but I get some textures and sounds that are different from the Kurzweil and fit some of my needs more closely. In that environment, I rarely use the synth lead patches, but they are available. The Hammond/Leslie from Module isn't as adjustable, but sounds considerably better than I've ever been able to make with Kurzweil's KB3 mode. More like what I can get from the SK1, except I don't have room (or desire) for a third full keyboard in my setup. I have all of the needed cabling already setup, and just have to bring one or two iPads; all the other gear stays there.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Another vote for the Minimoog Model D app. I'd have completely abandoned my iPad for Mainstage except that app just scratches that Moog itch so much better than any of the other synth offerings I've found at that price point. Apple's Retro Synth and others are fine, but I feel like with the Model D app the sound is just there.

There are a few solid apps for Mellotron as well, if that's your bag. Mellowsound, Mellotronics Streetlytron Pro (that's the one that King Crimson uses), and others.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Although not strictly Orchestral sounds Jordantron on the iPad is still my go to sound set when I need powerful string sounds. They cut really well and there is a good range of sounds. Simple interface as well. No demo unfortunately, although there is video of Jordan Rudess demonstrating it. If you don"t like his sounds then this is not for you I suppose. I figure if it"s good enough for him....

As I mentioned in the thread at https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3009114 I think the Alesis Control Hub (with Apple CCK) is a better interface than the Korg PlugKey, because it has the same features plus a MIDI Out, independent headphone monitoring, and a non-hardwired connector which means you can use it with non-lightning devices (Mac, PC, new usb-c based iPads),

The iConnectivity interfaces are worth a good look too, for support of multiple devices. For example, you could connect both your iPad *and* your Android or a PC to it, at the same time.

My iPad Pro is one that uses the Lightning connector. The Korg interface sounds like something that would work for me. I do see where having a longer, or detachable lightning cable would be nice. Maybe put a USB port in there so that you can just connect a standard lightning cable.

But, before I pull the trigger on anything, I'll check out the other recommendations as well.

I already have a holder that attaches to my mike stand, so placement would be easy to accomplish. I even have an available plug on my primary Furman power strip.

Willie Dixon

You will have to use a CCK adapter if you don't buy a dedicated interface. The newest CCK also allows you to charge your iPad at the same time. Do you use a mixer with your setup? If you do then one option would be to replace it with one that is iOS compatible. The Allen & Heath ZED 8i should work.

Here's what you need:

1) iOS compatible mixer

2) CCK adapter

3) USB Cable

But if you want to use a keyboard you would need a USB hub.

I'd think with the iPad Pro, you would have better overall performance/latency than myself using Module with an old iPad mini 2, and an iPad 5. If the iPad Pro is the version with Lightning connector, Korg's PlugKey provides connection to 5-pin MIDI, audio out to either a pair of 1/4" jacks or a 1/8" jack, and ability to charge the iPad with a Lightning cable and charger. Works well for me, my only complaint at all is I wish they had used a longer (and replaceable) Lightning connector between the PlugKey and iPad.

You can get a Lightning cable extension, has a female on one end, male on the other. Beware though- the first one I bought worked intermittently, but the second one, from Cellularize, works well, but it is no longer available from Amazon. 1 meter long

With Syntronik you have a Multi-mode where you can have up to 4 synths at a time running off of 1 MIDI channel. IK Multimedia also makes Sampletank, which gives you 8 sounds at once to work with, and a crazy large number of sample libraries you can buy. I've also really enjoyed the EPs and Vibraphone on Neo Soul Keys alot.

Randy

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I can"t exactly pinpoint why, but Module just does not get used in my set-up. I think I find the sounds somewhat lackluster in a band setting and have difficulty evoking emotional expressiveness from it. Other Korg apps get heavy use at nearly every show: Odyssei, iM1, and just started tinkering with iWavestation. These simply feel better to me and sit in the mix well, and easily cut through when needed. I"ve used SampleTank a bit for guitar sounds, but my new MODX blows those away. Zeeon is definitely a wicked synth, but my band"s covers really call for that Odyssey sound and Korg nailed it.

As for orchestra, iSymphonic has amazing detail and variety. Hold on to your wallet, though...and make sure your device has plenty of free space. I have 7 of the 15 library packs and the thing uses 6.14 GB on my iPad 5.

Best of luck as you begin this path of iOS and Android music apps.

I'm going to sit down today with the MODX and ipad and explore split patches that have ipad in one range and MODX in another....I *think* that is possible but I haven't yet done it.

Model 15 sounds really good but I'm not great at patch cable programming--is Model D comparable?