Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Do you ever get overwhelmed?!?!

I have a few musical projects going on ( cover band, tribute band, duo act that is standards and contemporary). But it seems the longer I play piano, the more I learn how much more is out there, and how much there is to master. I could spend 100% of my time on blues, or New Orleans Dr. John style. I love Bill Evans and Vince Guraldi (and I would spend the rest of my life trying to play anything approaching what they accomplished). So how do you focus and accept you can't do everything, and find the things that will bring you and your listeners joy. Given how broad the potential is for piano ( and keyboards) how have you found focus and I hope the peace that comes with that focus?

Korg CX-3 (vintage), Casio Privia PX-5S, Lester K, Behringer Powerplay P2, Shure 215s

http://www.hackjammers.com

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a juggling act. I went back to lessons a few years ago and it's a bitch to practice in my 50's. It seems like sometimes there is so many damn fires to put out. I lost my mom in June and even though it was kind of expected everything took a back seat to it. Then I run a 7 person band, work, deal with my daughter in college, etc. It never ends. You have to prioritize and do things the best you can. I started playing with a Americana band with some guys I played with years ago. I told them my main band comes first but would try to make as many rehearsals I could. Truth be told its low maintenance which is good because I didn't want to overextend myself. Be realsitic with what you can accomplish and the big thing for me is whatever I get into will it make me a better player? Let's face it we don't have that much runway time.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I just am trying to ensure that my practice time is as productive as possible, by focusing on specific problem areas, and re-evaluating all the time. Right now, its reading and technique.

I can't sit at the piano 8 hours a day, and have to accept the dynamic nature of things, and that I can't do it all. I can however, ensure that when I am at the piano, I am working on something useful, and not screwing around.

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

I have a few musical projects going on ( cover band, tribute band, duo act that is standards and contemporary). But it seems the longer I play piano, the more I learn how much more is out there, and how much there is to master. I could spend 100% of my time on blues, or New Orleans Dr. John style. I love Bill Evans and Vince Guraldi (and I would spend the rest of my life trying to play anything approaching what they accomplished). So how do you focus and accept you can't do everything, and find the things that will bring you and your listeners joy. Given how broad the potential is for piano ( and keyboards) how have you found focus and I hope the peace that comes with that focus?

None of the above players was a master of everyone else"s styles either, but all of them mastered the art of expressing love in their own voices. When a listener connects to you, you become their Bill Evans. That"s the journey.

Here for the gear.

I don"t believe this is a music question, but a life"s choices question.

Recently I got fired , on musical basis, for the first time in my life (ouch doesn"t describe my feelings!) It"s a jazz gig. I"m a piano-keyboard player. My replacement is a jazz pianist. When he was playing jazz in his teens, I was playing Procul Harum and conducting choirs singing Palestrina. When he was playing jazz in his twenties, I was playing Zappa and Disco. When he was playing jazz in his forties I was playing Broadway shows. When he was playing jazz in his fifties, I was starting to play jazz gigs. Now when he plays standards, I"m singing and accompanying them.

Now, while most folks who hear me think I"m a jazz pianist, in my heart I know I"m not. For each of the genres that I"ve mentioned there are players who spend their entire lives dedicated to them. I guess I chose to be a jack of all trades, rather than a master of one.

Today I get off on 'projects". Somebody offers a gig and I ask myself if there"s enough 'meat" there to make diving in fun.

Millions of roads diverged in a yellow wood...

Jack

I tend to get overwhelmed by taking on too many musical projects at once. The balance between my 9-5, my other 5-9 business, family obligations, and the 2 working bands (and a few projects on the back burner) is at the very least, an anxiety producing cluster, and at other times completely unsustainable. Luckily, my wife is 99% supportive of what I do. She lets me know when I begin to have tunnel vision and brings me back to reality.

I try to carve out at least an hour a day to practice, and usually I'm running whatever gig set is next up on the calendar, but after that I let myself explore whatever seeds have been planted, for as long as it feels good. Without scratching that itch, I'd go mad. It's not that I'm fully able to tackle the artist or song that is piquing my interest, but it allows me a chance to expand and most importantly, learn. At least until it's time to take out the recycle bin or pick up the dog poop..... =)

Voyager, A Tribute to the Music of Journey - http:// www.facebook.com/voyageraz

Keys: Korg KronosX 88, M Audio Code 61, Novation Launchkey, Mainstage, Keyscape, Omnisphere

Yeah. As a freelancer in a bunch of different styles, and a bandleader of my own projects, I definitely get overwhelmed. What I have found is that it helps to tackle what is immediately necessary: this booking deadline, this grant application, the gigs this week or next. If I have to work on my Turkish 9/8 for this week's gig, the synth programming takes a back seat. If I have a bunch of sounds to program and parts to learn for a gig, the Bach and Hanon slips. If I'm playing a lot, my time for composing is reduced. Always just trying to do the best I can with the tools and time available.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Yes, musical overwhelm is a real thing! Especially when it's side income or extracurricular to a day job (though I imagine using music to make ends meet is just as overwhelming in its own way). I try to just follow my interest and curiosity at any given moment, and try not to give myself too much grief about what I could be working on, because it's endless.

Most of my 20s were about "the more music, the better." Now that my life has settled a little bit, I've learned I need to give myself some space to recharge, and say no to things that I'm not truly excited or required to do, whenever possible. It's hard, because I don't like to turn down opportunities, but I've also learned the hard way that when I burn myself out I lose WAY more time because I lose the drive to do anything for a few weeks.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I was given a stern lecture by a quasi-famous person when I said something even vaguely able to be interpreted as negative about the music life. Basically his position was, we are gods among men, getting to live impossibly unique and blessed lives, and if you are not shouting your gratitude from the mountaintops every minute you are alive, you don't deserve the endeavor at all.

I agree. But my landlord does not. He prefers US dollars. So I still find myself noticing minor things like how much we make and what my bank account looks like.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I am still learning how to say No to music projects that promise nostalgic feelings with good old songs, bandmates and friends. When later discovering it is gonna require more commitment of time -worth spending on more fulfilling musical endeavors.
Lenny

I was given a stern lecture by a quasi-famous person when I said something even vaguely able to be interpreted as negative about the music life. Basically his position was, we are gods among men, getting to live impossibly unique and blessed lives, and if you are not shouting your gratitude from the mountaintops every minute you are alive, you don't deserve the endeavor at all.

Cough Kamau Cough

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Yeah. As a freelancer in a bunch of different styles, and a bandleader of my own projects, I definitely get overwhelmed. What I have found is that it helps to tackle what is immediately necessary: this booking deadline, this grant application, the gigs this week or next. If I have to work on my Turkish 9/8 for this week's gig, the synth programming takes a back seat. If I have a bunch of sounds to program and parts to learn for a gig, the Bach and Hanon slips. If I'm playing a lot, my time for composing is reduced. Always just trying to do the best I can with the tools and time available.

This nails it for me.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

focus and accept you can't do everything, and find the things that will bring you and your listeners joy.

Within your question lies the answer to your question, Grasshoppah.

Like someone else said, this isn't particular to music. But it is probably very different for pro's versus hobbyists. Most pros, at least those not at the highest level of their craft, need to be able to play a wide variety of styles. If that's overwhelming, well, cowboy up and deal with it. As a hobbyist, I get much more satisfaction in NOT trying to be like this or that player I admire, but rather listening to everything and trying to create my own style. If my unique style ends up not being very good, that's ok, it's not how I pay the bills. But it feels like a worthwhile endeavor and I don't have to deal with feelings of failure because of the distance between myself and Dr John, Guaraldi, Evans, etc.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I've been involved in elder care since 2015 with both parents in long term care and it can be really overwhelming. Priorities definitely changed and music had to take a back seat. I haven't recorded a lick of music in my studio for over two years and the studio is currently nonfunctional with stuff waiting to get fixed (not just the Hammond, Wes). Can't wait to get back to my hobby. My dad recently passed away from alzheimers and the load isn't halved until we finish going through the estate.

Yes, more frequently in the past year. Since 1996, music has been my main source of income: private teaching, church MD gigs, and stage/recording work. While teaching has remained stable, church and stage work has been a wild ride throughout 2018-19. Been there before though, in lots of various ways. :crazy:

Had a well-paying church gig, 2016 to late 2018, but was finally made to 'walk the plank' in November, 2018 (New boss and board chair as of 2017, who were frankly a-holes about it). Thankfully had a place to land already lined up; better people and community, but with a 40% pay cut.

Live scene has been up and down, with a rather startling dismissal from a busy band earlier in the year; sometimes friends of even 20+ years can be uber jerks. I'm covering whatever I can grab right now - fun, relatively new band with 2-3 gigs/month, occasional solo thing, possible fill-in country gigs in the works. Studio work, other than a couple of Air Gigs sessions a few years back, is basically dead. Last jingle I played was 2004, IIRC.

I can slog through challenges in the music biz; I knew going in that it wouldn't be an easy ride. So I'm grateful every day that I still get to do this for a living. But managing an elderly parent's life-as their health completely unravels-is sobering. My mom had a major stroke in 2013 (which necessitated our move back to the midwest from Colorado). She stabilized physically, very briefly; but is now wheelchair-bound. Meanwhile, profound dementia is in permanent residence. So lots of POA management, etc.. I think she'll be leaving this world financially the same as when she entered it: Why on earth does the State of Indiana tax the living crap out of a disabled, 92-year old's retirement? :pop:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

nO, sTeSs NeVeR eVeR gEtS tO mE, aNd I nEvEr GeT oR fEeL OvErWhElMeD... eVeR...

I don't have time for a band right now, although it's still a goal of mine...(Over 50 guys, good 'ol classic rock!)

Except for a band, I have all of the complications and distractions or responsibilities as others have noted above, plus this............

* * * For every decade that goes by, there are thousands of more songs to learn! * * *

Gee, if I only had a dollar for every time I heard "Hey, can you play ___?" -- then I wouldn't HAVE to work and I could spend all my time playing the keys and learning new songs.

So now...............

To avoid all the StReSs that comes from this -- I play what is FUN for me.

(And yes, getting into a band could change that...)

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Yes it can overwhelming. My focus has shifted a lot through the years. I"ve found the best musical growth comes from focusing rather than dabbling in a bunch of different things. This requires consciously deciding what not to practice at a given time. For me, that"s the hard part. I"ve noticed after intensely focusing on something for a while and then deciding to focus on something else the first thing continues to develop (seemingly on its own). It"s like a seed has been sown and needs time to grow. Strange and mysterious stuff for sure.

How amazing to be a jack of all trades even if you master none (or perhaps come close on just a few).

Honestly, every musical experience you"ve ever had makes you who are as a musician right now. All attempts are being stored, electrons fire, neural pathways form. It all helps you grow.

I hope I"m always still enjoying it and trying to play something new.

And that I"m resilient enough to keep trying and not get down on my playing when something doesn"t come easy.

Chin up, mates. It"s music. You"ll only offend someone"s ears for a moment.

The poor surgeon - if he screws it up, the poor bastard on the table might not make it!

:keys2:

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

It's a juggling act. Be realsitic with what you can accomplish and the big thing for me is whatever I get into will it make me a better player? Let's face it we don't have that much runway time.

This! I am at the point in my life where I refuse to waste time playing music that doesn't make me happy or a better player. Like Outkaster, I went back to taking classical piano lessons with an excellent teacher, and have never been happier. Some people prefer to play out in bands, but at this point, solo classical piano and home studio work gives me that overwhelming enjoyment I felt when I initially started playing decades ago, but as always, to each his own.

I'm staring at learning the entire book for "Rent" in the next 4 weeks. Plus, I'm teaching all of the songs to a cast of mostly untrained singers. And have to put together a Pit Band. And I have my concert band, chorus, jazz band, pep band, guitar class, piano class, and two bands I play with.

"Overwhelmed" doesn't begin to cover it. But I've learned to do my best, make the most of practice time, and I'll live through it.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

I've been involved in elder care since 2015 with both parents in long term care and it can be really overwhelming. Priorities definitely changed and music had to take a back seat. I haven't recorded a lick of music in my studio for over two years and the studio is currently nonfunctional with stuff waiting to get fixed (not just the Hammond, Wes). Can't wait to get back to my hobby. My dad recently passed away from alzheimers and the load isn't halved until we finish going through the estate.

I'm going through this too now but they are both in and out of hospital and one nursing home.... I tell you it can make the time you do spend with your instrument more 'intense'... a place to put the all that forestalled energy!

Good Luck with it all... I relate! I have not been gigging because of it but my time at home shedding has gotten better and deeper,

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122