Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The linked article covers some of hte ways that Silence has been utilized as part of music. It focuses primarly on European Classical music but wanders a bit.

My brother introduced me to Thelonious Monk in my early teens and of course Monk's wonderful use of silence made an impression on me.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/02/arts/music/silence-classical-music.html?mc=aud_dev&ad-keywords=auddevgate&subid1=TAFI&ad_name=INTER_20_XXXX_XXX_1P_CD_XX_XX_SITEVISITXREM_X_XXXX_COUSA_P_X_X_EN_FBIG_OA_XXXX_00_EN_JP_NFLINKS&adset_name=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2019%2F10%2F02%2Farts%2Fmusic%2Fsilence-classical-music.html&campaign_id=23843787381130063&fbclid=IwAR2qzFB3xa6UCrYrDUPeBH-cskxSyMUSmiOMyyMQ22-Q9_jS_ScSpgUJjO0

I try to include silence in my guitar solos and also when I am playing solo - Vocals and Guitar. Who uses silence in their music and how? Discuss...

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favourite (UK spelling) pieces featuring regular moments of silence is a from J.S.Bach's cantata "Wer nur den lieben Gott läßt walten", BWV 93: the tenor aria: "Man halte nur ein wenig stille" (Man halts only a short time still.).

Akai EWI 4000s, Yamaha VL70m, Yamaha AN1x, Casio PX560, Yamaha MU1000XG+PLGs-DX,AN,VL.

I rarely have moments of complete silence, but when mixing, I'm pretty relentless about removing tracks that don't contribute something significant to the music. I also do have many moments where the music itself drops out completely, but there's a sound effect, a reverb overhang, or something "non musical" in its place.

Other works featuring silence

John Cage 4'33"

Alphonse Allais's Funeral March for the Obsequies of a Deaf Man (twenty-four blank measures)

Erwin Schulhoff's In futurum, a movement from the Fünf Pittoresken for piano made up entirely of meticulously notated rests

Yves Klein's Monotone-Silence Symphony an orchestral forty-minute piece whose second and last movement is a twenty-minute silence (the first movement being an unvarying twenty minute drone)