Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Chocolate Salty Balls"

My band is doing a SouthPark Themed Halloween this year, I'm sitting here shedding "Chocolate Salty Balls", and I just have to shout out that that is some MEAN Clavinet! Both the sound and playing are second to none. All jokes aside, I highly recommend listening to the keyboards after the chorus, it's some of the deepest of the deep funk. Just looked it up and it lists Trey Parker on keys! If that's actually true (and not some studio schlub), than he's an absolute master of the feel! The tone is grouchy as hell, and he plays is expertly.

I haven't really dived deep into the Mojo61 Clav before. Sadly, as fantastic as the Wurli and Rhodes, the Clav isn't quite as magical. It's definitely very good and will do the job, but listening to this recording, I can really tell there's a whole other level of Clavinet sickness that could be reached.

[video:youtube]

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking it might be Isaac playing, then again, his health was failing and as we know the relationship between him and Matt/Trey was fairly strained. Liners only list him on vocals. We all know that liners often lie and they cheat with studio stand-ins, or contractual agreements don't allow for listings (that could be a possibility here with Hayes and he is playing it). That said, we also know Matt and Trey are super talented musicians, and I would suspect feel would come naturally for them. I wouldn't be surprised of anything, really. But I'm leaning toward the liners being accurate.

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I haven't really dived deep into the Mojo61 Clav before. Sadly, as fantastic as the Wurli and Rhodes, the Clav isn't quite as magical. It's definitely very good and will do the job, but listening to this recording, I can really tell there's a whole other level of Clavinet sickness that could be reached.

Not trying to deminish your point, but as someone who currently still owns an E7, this can be said about any keyboard. This is why all the jam bands still use actual clavinets.

:nopity:

The demand for Wurlis and Rhodes are so much higher than Clavs, that probably about 10x as much attention has been put towards learning how to sample/model those instruments correctly. Clavs are very niche by comparison, and not heavily used in original music today. But, specifically, Crumar made it quite clear that the Clav was just a quick "bonus". I hear that for it's first few years, you had to do some special button presses to find it (along with the acoustic piano). When you open the Web editor, there are many options for the Rhodes and Wurli, but nothing for the Clav or Piano.

I haven't sought them out, but there are some VST Clavs that I'm sure put in far more attention. But, there's not a whole lot of competition to keep the market moving forward.

All said, I actually think the Mojo61s Clav feels great to play and sounds real enough to my ears. It just doesn't have the magic that a real Clav has. The Rhodes on the other hand is pretty magical. I've played a number of suitcases in my time, and it feels pretty close.