Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just bought my first Snark tuner

I have been using stomp tuner pedals in my pedal-boards for years uncounted, and one day a few weeks ago I ordered a Snark Tuner from Sweetwater, and it came in a few days, and I have been evaluating it for a week or so. One of these days soon, out from my house pedal board comes the Digitech RP155 which I used for one harmony patch, and its tuner. I will leave the tuner pedal in my (other) road pedal board which is small like a normal Boss stomp, but the Digitech gets sent the way of all my old modelers..

I am rather impressed with my new Snark 15 buck tuner.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used the Snark for a very long time. They are great little tuners. They are well lit and work great on a dark stage. Others tuning, talking, making noise, etc., do not bother you while tuning. They are very accurate. My only negative comment is they can break at the stem easily if not cared for in transit. Pack them in the box or wrap them in something like a cleaning towel. I graduated to something a little more rugged with a bigger flat screen that I like better called the Unitune Clip by TC Electronics. Both of them work very well. I like being able to switch guitars and use them on all of my guitars. They also work great on bass guitars too (at the 12th fret). Anyway keep us posted on how you like the Snark. They always get great reviews and players have compared them with sophisticated rack mount tuners and in-line floor mount tuners with great results. Great product and you can't beat the price! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I've owned and used quite a few tuners, including a half a dozen Snarks. They do break. They also seem to "disappear", something I haven't figured out.

Of all the tuners I've used that clamp to the headstock the best BY FAR is the Boss TU10.

It is very sturdy, typical Boss construction. It is accurate and easy to use. There is one on/off switch on the top, easy to reach and use. There are two switches on the back, you have to want to switch them or they do nothing.

So you won't (or your friend you are gigging with won't) accidently change it to A = 442 or something.

The real reason it is the best is that it lights up when it is dark and is easy to see and tune, BUT it also goes to black indicators on a plain gray screen in daylight. I've had zero problems tuning my guitar in bright sunlight.

Try that with your Snark!!!!

I am going to get another one, a redundant system is a reliable system. The Snarks can be somebody else's problem.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I got one back in March for the Massed-Guitar event, where we all had minimalist rigs, Guitar-into-Amp, period. I also take it with me for my old Acoustic Guitar, for our local Hippie House Jams, and it works well.

I'd seen some of the online warnings, about not cranking it too hard, or the little gooseneck connection would break, but I generally try to be good to my toys, so they last.

The longest-lasting Tuner I have is an old Boss TU-12h, which I've had since '89 or '90? Still works, after all this time. I don't often bring one with me for Electric/Electronic shows, because every MFX and Guitar Synth I own has a built-in Tuner.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

@Larryz I will only use the Snark inside the house, I will stick with the tuner pedal in my road pedal board for going out. Plus I will keep the Digitech RP155 for emergency tuning handy in case I lose the Snark or break it somehow. My road board is only for going out from the home to jam or whatever, and the house board never leaves the house.

I have been so very pleased by my Peterson StroboStomp pedal-tuner, that I'm spoiled for all other tuners. Fantastic for setting intonation and tuning! And the 'sweetened' offset tuning-modes are sublimely exquisite. I've had an original blue first-iteration StroboStomp for many years, and will soon enough be getting a StroboStomp HD pedal-tuner with a very large and very bright high-contrast backlit display.

If I were to get a clip-on tuner, I'd go with their StroboClip HD. I know that $59 is quite a bit more than the Snarks go for, but damn, the accuracy and features can't be beat.

v2rsajdbsy5o75dkaatk.jpg

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

@ DBM, That Snark will last you a long time since it's not being moved out of the house. I take my clip-on wherever I go with the guitar(s) acoustic or electric. At home, I have a music stand and clip the tuner to the bottom tray when not in use. I do not leave it on the guitar while playing or when storing in the guitar in the case (protect that stem). They can mar the finish if left on the guitar for long durations. Anyway, hope you get a lot of use out of the Snark and let us know how you like it after a few days of use. The battery will last a year or more... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I got a new red one to throw in my Martin case. I THINK .... the new one has an auto shut off. My old ones eat a lot of batteries because I would leave them on. If you just run them when you need it it"s fine. If you are like me you need to buy a bunch of CR2032 batteries.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I got a new red one to throw in my Martin case. I THINK .... the new one has an auto shut off. My old ones eat a lot of batteries because I would leave them on. If you just run them when you need it it"s fine. If you are like me you need to buy a bunch of CR2032 batteries.

Harbor Freight usually has them cheap. Just sayin'.

Kind of the standard battery for tuners in my experience. Everything I've owned except my ancient, huge and wonderful Peterson VS II has used them.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

@ DBM, That Snark will last you a long time since it's not being moved out of the house. I take my clip-on wherever I go with the guitar(s) acoustic or electric. At home, I have a music stand and clip the tuner to the bottom tray when not in use. I do not leave it on the guitar while playing or when storing in the guitar in the case (protect that stem). They can mar the finish if left on the guitar for long durations. Anyway, hope you get a lot of use out of the Snark and let us know how you like it after a few days of use. The battery will last a year or more... :cool:

I never leave the Snark on the guitar, I tune up and take the thing off. My guitars stay in tune for days unless there is a distinct temperature change. I will buy a battery or two the next time I am in Wal Mart. I might even have a few around the house already. As is, I like the Snark a bunch.

If I were to get a clip-on tuner, I'd go with their StroboClip HD. I know that $59 is quite a bit more than the Snarks go for, but damn, the accuracy and features can't be beat.

That is a tough lookin item Caev. Maybe next time.

That is a tough lookin item Caev. Maybe next time.

Nothing wrong with the Snark!

I just love how the combination of using Petertson's EQU (Equal Temperament) pre-set for setting intonation, and then final tuning with their "sweetened" GTR pre-set, makes my guitar sound so pleasing to my ear! I used to struggle with trying to "sweeten" the tuning of my guitar, particularly trying to tune my 3rd/"G"-string ever so slightly flat, so as to sound better with any chords, anywhere, with overdrive and distortion. Now the tuner does all that for me!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I never leave the Snark on the guitar, I tune up and take the thing off. My guitars stay in tune for days unless there is a distinct temperature change. I will buy a battery or two the next time I am in Wal Mart. I might even have a few around the house already. As is, I like the Snark a bunch.

Here's the Unitune that I wound up with. They go for $29 bucks at SW. Glad you like your Snark, they are great too!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UniTuneClip--tc-electronic-unitune-clip-clip-on-chromatic-tuner?

Take care, Larryz

Here's the Unitune that I wound up with. They go for $29 bucks at SW. Glad you like your Snark, they are great too!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UniTuneClip--tc-electronic-unitune-clip-clip-on-chromatic-tuner?

Thanks I like the looks of that one also.