Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Software for Managing Sample Data

I am using a MOXF8/MOXF6 combination for my live playing rig and want to set-up a computer (software) to manage the memory usage for samples I install on the MOXF"s. (Both of the MOXF"s have the 1 GB memory expansions.) I was thinking of getting the John Melas XF Motif Tools (with Waveform Editor) and noted that package does some limited conversions of some non-motif sample files. Then I got to thinking about all of the sample CD"s I already have in other formats, (mostly EMU and some Roland, Akai, Giga, and old NI discs.) I have an old version of Chicken Systems Translator in my old home studio computer and have used it on a limited basis.

My primary mission is to be able to manage the expansion memories in the MOXF"s , but it sure would be nice to have access to all of the non-MOXF sample files I already own. The John Melas Waveform Editor software seems to manage the sample data more effectively than the translator.

The computer can handle it , specs are HP Z600, 2 x Xeon X5650 2.66GHz Processors (12 cores total) , 48GB RAM , 1GB Video, 256GB SSD, Windows 10 64 bit , 1TB Western Digital 7200 RPM storage, CD-DVD/RW Media Drive

Do I need to have both software packages to 1) convert and 2) effectively manage my MOXF memory usage? Are there other packages to consider?

Shout out and Thanks to Craig Anderton for enabling me to make a transition from the old days of analog equipment (and no midi) to today"s digital world. I still have my copy of 'Home Recording for Musicians' !

Yamaha MOXF8, MOXF6, Radial Key Largo, Yamaha DXR 10's

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I am sorry you haven't gotten an answer here yet, but this is a little bit out of my bailiwick. Garth at Chicken Systems is still in business, I think... have you looked into new versions of his code? Redmatica was another good choice for many years, but I don't know if they're still kicking...

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Hi, I am sorry you haven't gotten an answer here yet, but this is a little bit out of my bailiwick. Garth at Chicken Systems is still in business, I think... have you looked into new versions of his code? Redmatica was another good choice for many years, but I don't know if they're still kicking...

No apology needed ! I understand that there aren't that many around who can field this question, but we'll see if anyone drops by to reply. Thanks Mike. Don

Yamaha MOXF8, MOXF6, Radial Key Largo, Yamaha DXR 10's