Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Has anyone hear played in 5/4 time?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'Touch and Go' by The Cars is in 5/4 (well, the intro and verses anyway). Does #37 on the US charts count as a hit?

I used to play this song in a Cars tribute. Actually, its trickier than just 5/4 as the keys and vocals are in 4/4 time while the bass and drums run in 5/4 in the intro/verse and constantly trying to kick you off of 4/4. Wiki says guitar is in 4/4 but i recall the guitarist hitting random strum chords - he seemed closer to the 5/4 clique than the 4/4, it always felt to me that keys and vocals were alone in 4/4 while the rest of the band was somewhere else.

I could nail it fine but the damn singer kept fucking up his entry spots - I had to start throwing stuff at him. The song comes together in 4/4 time in the chorus and everyone syncs up. Weird beat in that one.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Man, there isn't a deep catalog of tunes in 5/4. If I may add in about a multiple of 5/4 -- 10/4 -- I dig the Grateful Dead's "Playing in the Band." During the sung portions of the song, the rhythm is probably most fairly counted as two bars of 4/4 followed by one bar of 2/4, but some of the instrumental portions can be reasonably counted as measures of 5/4. Too hard to count all the way to ten!

There are , IMHO, two ways of dealing with odd time signatures: let them flow over you, or dive into it, figure out what they"re doing, and take charge. The first is for them , the later is for us. (Musos).

I listened to First Circle a bunch of times before I moved into the 'just what the hell is he doing?" mode. The transformation from passive to active listening was an unexpected source of joy. But getting on that bus requires a laser intent and commitment.

Do it.

There's also the clearly-influenced-by-Take-5 "Everything's Alright" from Jesus Christ Superstar.

In my high school jazz band, we played a Stan Kenton chart called "Decoupage" that was in 5/4, and it was gorgeous. It helped that we had a stellar trombone section.

There's also a tune on my first solo album that goes in and out of 5/4 (might be more accurate to call it 5/8) from 4/4, and then into 6/8 at the end.

The thing these all have in common? They all swing. I'm sure I've heard tunes that are in 5 (3+2 or 2+3) that don't swing, but that meter seems to really lend itself to swing... maybe it's just because we've all heard Take 5 so much!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

The very popular top 40 tune "Hey Ya," which I've covered, has its main hook in 5 time also IIRC. Back in the 90's fooling around with my Ensoniq VFX-SD onboard sequencer, I composed and produced my own attempt at a little fusiony thing in 5/4 that I cleverly (obliquely referencing Brubeck's "Take 5 ") titled "Gimme 5."

And of course "Mission Impossible"! Maybe the biggest 5/4 pop tune of all. Used to do that one part of the family-introductions segment in a wedding band.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Is 7/8 even considered an odd time signature anymore? Half the time people don't even notice. 7/4 is even danceable. 5/4 definitely makes people notice, 7/8 is just a fun groove. Most rock groups who aren't 100% punk will eventually write something in 7/8 I figure. It's pretty organic.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Take 5 obviously, as I played a lot of jazz standards last couple of years. Played the theme song from Riverdance with an orchestra once: 9/8, 7/8 and 4/4 in one piece, often switching every few measures. That was fun.
Trumpet player by trade, but fell in love with keys too.

The not so well known 5/4 version of New York New York sung by true New Yorkers:

Bump bum ba de ump bum-bum-bum (triplet)

Bump

"Start spreading the f$%^king news..."

:laugh:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Yes (no pun intended) on "Long Distance Runaround," I was covering that a few years back and remember playing chordal stabs every fifth beat with my left hand against the straight 4/4 eighth-note chords in the right. I had to make a cheat sheet indicating when to do those stabs.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Is 7/8 even considered an odd time signature anymore? Half the time people don't even notice. 7/4 is even danceable. 5/4 definitely makes people notice, 7/8 is just a fun groove. Most rock groups who aren't 100% punk will eventually write something in 7/8 I figure. It's pretty organic.

Yes you can dance to 7/8 meter.

I've seen it done many times when I cover Tom Sawyer.

There was a professional line dancing group in town and they stopped by the venue we were playing to give the audience a sample of their moves. Very good group. Then we decided to challenge them with Tom Sawyer and they breezed through all the meter changes. One of the few times I was dumbfounded. It was awe-inspiring to watch from the stage. The band gave them a round of applause, they were so good.

I've played a lot of tunes in 5/4 - when you accompany musicals it goes with the territory.

Also, a lot of the concert band tunes I teach/conduct will go into 5/4 time.

It's just another time signature. If the music demands it, you write in 5/4.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Yes (no pun intended) on "Long Distance Runaround," I was covering that a few years back and remember playing chordal stabs every fifth beat with my left hand against the straight 4/4 eighth-note chords in the right. I had to make a cheat sheet indicating when to do those stabs.

Underrated gem to be sure. My wife and I used to cover it, then I brought it to my Irish fiddle band, and we had the fiddle player do the stabs. I tend to do the stabs in the R.H as accidents. I leave the low-end free for those awesome bass runs, which I used to double. Playing that one on solo piano is a total mind-bender. 5/4 over 4/4 with the bass constantly moving on and off the beat. I love learning that kind of split-brain stuff!

Total Chris Squire masterpiece. It's pretty clear he spearheaded that one, and his vocal harmonies are FANTASTIC. I sing the Chris part with my wife. We really need to bring that one back!

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

'Touch and Go' by The Cars is in 5/4 (well, the intro and verses anyway). Does #37 on the US charts count as a hit?

I used to play this song in a Cars tribute. Actually, its trickier than just 5/4 as the keys and vocals are in 4/4 time while the bass and drums run in 5/4 in the intro/verse and constantly trying to kick you off of 4/4. Wiki says guitar is in 4/4 but i recall the guitarist hitting random strum chords - he seemed closer to the 5/4 clique than the 4/4, it always felt to me that keys and vocals were alone in 4/4 while the rest of the band was somewhere else.

I could nail it fine but the damn singer kept fucking up his entry spots - I had to start throwing stuff at him. The song comes together in 4/4 time in the chorus and everyone syncs up. Weird beat in that one.

Thanks for the reply! Just listened to the song again. I never payed enough attention to notice the keys and vocals were in 4/4 and continued unbroken from verse to chorus and back again. It sounds to me like the guitar strums are always on the 4& and the synth chords are on the & and change on every 1&. Singer comes in on the 1, but if you lose your place, good luck in catching up. Very neat! I have a whole new appreciation for the song.

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

"Pick up the Pieces" is NOT in 5/4, no part of it is. The melody sort of wraps around, but it eventually comes back around to 4/4 by the end of the second bar. Count it, it's two 4/4 bars just with syncopation.